What is the thing that made you say enough?

Options

Replies

• learningtolovemyself1972
    Options
    Being 40 and watching my 30's (when I gained all my weight) pass me by. In addition, in May, 2012 my BP went to 178/114 after being on BP meds for 13 years (yes I was put on them at 27- hereditary). I was then placed on Beta Blockers and all these restrictions. Honestly, that scared me more than the other "scares" I had over the past 10 years. I knew this was it- make a change or die. I want to LIVE not just be alive and I want to actually experience life.
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    When I was unofficially diagnosed with MS. The thought of losing most or all physical abilities lit a fire under my *kitten*.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i had my 3rd child 2 years ago and realised that if i kept going the way i was, i'd prob have a heart attack before i was 40 (i was 31). i want to be around to see my grandkids! it was also really important to me for my kids to see exercise as a normal part of life. now my 6 year old comes running with me sometimes, and my 4yo is busting to come.
  • EPortJake
    EPortJake Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    When I was struggling to tie my laces and hit 18 stone.
  • cgfol1
    cgfol1 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    When my jeans split in the backside and I didn't realise for a few, good hours!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    when i was banned from missionary, and the belly was a beej blocker...
    *tear*
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    for me it was plain and simple pain. Also Diabetic meds. And oh yeah i was a fat pig! I am now working on 60 lbs lost in 8 months. Now I am just fat.
  • betho217
    betho217 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I felt old and tired at 26 years old and then went to the doctors and my BP was in the pre-hypertensive range. I made an appointment with a nutritionist the next day. Almost two years later and I feel like a different person. :happy:
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Just kept getting sick, blood work out of whack. Always tired and I looked self conscious in my pictures!
  • proudandprejudiced
    Options
    my mum, who is nearly 50, ran her first marathon. i could barely run a mile at that point.. so i decided it was time to change!
  • MrsNina1972
    MrsNina1972 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I had an operation in February 2011 and when I went back to my gyno and got on the scale he looked at me and said you've gained almost 8lbs since I've seen you (which was only 4 weeks) putting my weight at 194 pounds. I have never in my life weighed that much, not even through 3 pregnancies. The most I weighed pregnant was 165 tops. Right after that I was diagnosed with diabetes and 3 months after that high blood pressure which took 3 different medications to bring my BP down. Now I am down to 147 pounds and only on 1 blood pressure med and no meds for diabetes and don't even have to check my blood sugar anymore it is controlled with diet and exercise, and right now I think my BP med is to strong, I go see my pcp next week for that! That is my eye opening I am fat experience.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    when i was banned from missionary, and the belly was a beej blocker...
    *tear*

rock bottom
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    A picture.

THE picture. I was putting together the pictures for the X-mas DVDs to send around the world to all our scattered relations, and I realized that I was cropping myself out to keep my beautiful 2 yo in focus and the whale in the background out. I was the whale... I felt deeply ashamed.

I put so many years and efforts in getting pregnant and having a baby, that the fact that pregnancy weight never went away and that i was still wearing my pg wardrobe (really my mom's) 2 years after delivery just did not register. At all. Now my daughter is 6, and I am the same as before pg and striving to be better and stronger and ageless. That picture on the beach awoke me to the need to be a mom that can be a role model to her daughter in the world where childhood obesity is an epidemic.

I have my moments of 'aww' when I see my daughter storming the monkey bars with the determination of an athlete, bypassing a cake because she spotted shrimps, and thinking nothing of asking her mom to carry her around.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    For me, it was when I realized there were virtually no pictures of me with the grandkids because I kept deleting them because I was too fat. I realized that I was avoiding not only pictures but life in general by being weighed down, literally. Now I have LOTS of pictures and live life to the fullest!
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    A picture of me in my bathing suit at my daughter's 2nd birthday party. I realized I was wearing a "mom" bathing suit. I said "Oh h3ll no!" I'm only 33 (at the time). Then we decided that we were going on vacaction about a year after that. There was NO way I was taking that Mom suit on vacation with me!
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Ordering a size 20 bridesmaid dress for my sister's wedding, and when I picked it up a month later it was a little tighter. Ugh.

Happily, I took that SAME dress to a seamstress to have it taken down to a size 14 a couple of weeks ago! MFP and a wakeup call really work!
  • Mojamabo
    Mojamabo Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had a series of mortifying events. My husband and I went to get life jackets and I had to buy one that was bigger than his! I cried as I left the store. Then the next day we went out on the lake. As we were coming to the dock, my husband asked me to toss out the rope. When I tried to reach between the windows (the walkway to the bow), I got stuck! I looked at my husband in shock and dismay. He helped me out and never said a word. And as if mortifying myself in front of my husband wasn't enough, there was a slender mom of 3 watching the whole time! After throwing myself a pity party for a week, I started making changes.
  • ariesmom07
    ariesmom07 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I get comments from kids all the time about how huge I am, usually I can ignore them because I know they don't know any better. One day I was grocery shopping and I heard a kid say "mommy that girl is fat" and his mom said "yeah maybe we should put your treats back" as if to use me as a caution to her kid on what could become of him.
    I've had a few comments before from kids too even before I was as big as I am now and so I know how that goes :/ People can be so rude and mean. From your profile pic I can tell you are a beautiful lady so feel good about that and F*** the haters :) You got this!
  • shara85
    shara85 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Seeing pictures of myself did me in.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i turned 40 and my dad died in the same year. that was the final kick in the pants i needed to get back into shape.