The Greatest Video Game of All Time Is...

Options

Replies

• Nerdphiliac
    Nerdphiliac Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Pokemon or Skyrim <3
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Why does everybody always pick some classic, inferior game thats old as hell as TGVOAT? I could name 20 games right off the top of my head that kick Zelda's *kitten*. Skyrim, Dishonered, God Of War, Uncharted, etc.

I guess different strokes...

Because sometimes it isn't all about technical excellence and the latest and greatest whizz-bang technology, sometimes it is where the game sat in your life and how much it pushed the genre forward.

In Elite's case, this was a lot.

Wireframe black and white graphics and all :)

In X-Com's case, as the latest apparently attempt to 're-imagine' it shows, tactical depth never goes out of fashion.

For Half Life it was watershed release in the FPS genre.

That and some people in their 40s don't have time to play the latest games in depth and just like go on a nostalgia trip occasionally. ;)

Right on, commander.

Elite was the game that turned me from a slightly nerdy girly with a BBC B Computer when all my friends had Commodores/Ataris to a complete space cadet! Then again .... I ended up in the IT industry as a career!

For me as a 40-something geek-girl, it HAS to be Eve Online. For me it's like Elite, with bells on!
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorites growing up were Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Star Fox, Mario Kart, Ocarina of time, and a game probably not many people have heard of called Secret of Mana. Today though I would go with Starcraft, Diablo, Fallout and COD as the games I play the most.

Secret of Mana was a great game. Was it that obscure?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Eve Online. Perfect combination of requirements: patience, long attention span, decent reaction times, and if you're stupid, you will die...a lot...and I shall harvest your tears. It actually punishes people for failure, which is probably why it isn't all that popular.
  • malystrasza
    Options
    Yeah...for those of you who never played Phantasy Star II, this is where Final Fantasy 7 got it's idea from....

Nei.jpg

Better than any FF game. Period!

But as for greatest game of all time? Zelda:OoT is up there. All game journalists can't be wrong.

OMG I LOVE Phantasy Star, but you could say I'm biased since that's what I grew up with. :blushing:

But...best game, hard to pick for me. I still have a lot of the classic games to play through, but for now, I'll say Xenogears. Its a shame that disc 2 was rushed and also that its overlooked. I love FF7 too, but I feel this game is more worthy of being the best RPG for its era.
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    the one game that gave every other RPG game a name: Final Fantasy. Not just 7, but the entire series! Honestly, I am partial to Tactics, but I am more of a strategist.

Nothing is more refreshing than selling that first mastered All materia, though. CHA - CHING!

I do like old school 64, though. Favorite ones on there are Starfox and Super Smash Bros. Pikachu can kick Zelda's *kitten* all over Hyrule.

I am a playstation guy, though. Always have been. Most of what I play, when I play, is Madden and those Street thug games. Love them. Allows me to role play, and "tell that b*tch who da boss is!"
  • sds76
    sds76 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Okay I loved Zelda, Final Fantasy, phantasy star, some old Street fighter and Mortal Kombat...but nothing has ever held my interest for as long as WoW has. Diablo 2 was a close second to WoW. I like old school games but gotta love WoW.
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    I did play Phantasy star 4. Chaz was one weak piece of Sh**. Rika always kicked *kitten* though. I also remember a blue monster dude that axed people to death.

Was the only game I ever played where the main character was not the strongest one.
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    My bros and I also played the origional Tony Hawk, and #2 as well. Collectin tapes was fun!

Was the only way you can get a pro skater to do a 1080 christ air with a 12 sec grind, and a 1260 reverse boardflip all in the same trick. f-in awesome
  • malystrasza
    Options
    I did play Phantasy star 4. Chaz was one weak piece of Sh**. Rika always kicked *kitten* though. I also remember a blue monster dude that axed people to death.

Was the only game I ever played where the main character was not the strongest one.

Gryz! :D
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    MASS EFFECT !!
  • ... Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time, for the iconic, magestic, timeless Nintendo 64. Any other nerds celebrating the 25th Anniversary of the Zelda franchise?

This is awesome. I had no idea. I love Zelda.
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    I remember when I was about 8, I played a game on Super, and never did again, but I just googled it, and it was so cool. Called Uniracers. It was a split screen racing game.

Oh, and on Super, there was Killer Instinct!!! That game kicked *kitten*!!!
  • diligentjosh
    Options
    NFL QB 98, Super Mariokart, LUFIA!!!!!!!! just remembered it. Lufia was classic!
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Mario Brothers.
    Zelda,a link inro the past.
    Pokemon.
    busby!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was about 8, I played a game on Super, and never did again, but I just googled it, and it was so cool. Called Uniracers. It was a split screen racing game.

I loved KI in the arcade, but it didn't seem to translate very well to console. Looked overly grainy, and the movement was really choppy. I also remember abusing the hell out of the trick with Cinder where you could corner pin a guy and just keep juggling him to death with his flip kick, while the opponent was powerless to do anything about it.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Monster Hunter and StarCraft are mine....

Umm yea...

Oh and TES series... not newer ones mind you, they ok, but kinda suck with how closed they are :/

PS series :D

And OFC Zelda :D
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Love Zelda OoT, but Final Fantasy X is my favorite game. ;)
  • diligentjosh
    Options

I loved KI in the arcade, but it didn't seem to translate very well to console. Looked overly grainy, and the movement was really choppy. I also remember abusing the hell out of the trick with Cinder where you could corner pin a guy and just keep juggling him to death with his flip kick, while the opponent was powerless to do anything about it.

My brothers always kicked my *kitten* with Cinder. I preferred Sabrewulf, in red, or Raptor
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    Tetris is up there for me, up there with Centipede.