Low Carb Diet Success Stories?

I've began a low carb diet this week and already lost 5 pounds. I started the diet because I have Insulin Resistance, which is causing me to have ovarian cysts and making it extremely hard to get pregnant. I want to lose weight so that I have more self confidence, so my job is easier because I'm on my feet and I weigh less, so that I can hunt down all of those girls that made fun of me and tell them thanks for giving me determination, and mostly so that I can have a large and beautiful family.

I'm going for a goal of below 50 carbs a day for a month, then I'm going to take it down to 40 and so on until I'm at 10 or less a day if possible. I'm doing pretty well so far because I've only had 5 carbs today and the dinner I already have planned is 5-10 itself. I've been drinking 6-8 cups of water, staying away from bread and sugars. I've had 0 grams of sugar today. I work about 4 days a week, and I'm walking for 7-8 hours each of those days. I'm hoping I'm on the right track. I'm also taking supplements and vitamins. I'm taking a multivitamin, Flax Oil, Biotin, and ground cinnamon. Does anyone have any tips or pointers that they can add in? Does anyone think I'm doing anything wrong?

I'd love to see or hear some success stories as it would really help me to move forward with this.

Replies

• BonMetz
    BonMetz Posts: 102
    I have lost 59 pounds total with low carb so far. I feel fantastic, my skin is feels better, I am not bloated anylonger, I sleep better......the list goes on and on. I eat 20 carbs a day which is mostly the veggies that I eat. For ME this is the way that works for me!
  • susannahcooks
    susannahcooks Posts: 293 Member
    I've lost 92 with low carb (so far - about 80 to go) since Mid-March (along with a healthy workout schedule). I would say if you are losing weight happily at 50 g per day and you're feeling healthy and your blood work looks good- you probably don't need to keep dropping down to 10. My ex-husband was Type 2 diabetic and they only had him drop to 50g -per meal-. Atkins (largely thought to be the most extreme of the 'fad' versions) starts you at 20g net total for the day and works you up til you figure out what you can do in net carbs while continuing to lose weight/feel good and then what it takes to maintain at that weight. 10 g net may be too extreme because you will want to get plenty of low-starch veggies into you as possible - for the fiber as well as for the nutrients/vitamin/mineral/antioxidant qualities - and you can easily eat 9g just in one (pretty healthy size) salad or serving of veggies. I had 8 oz of broccoli at lunch today and it was 16g/9 fiber - so 7 g net. Right about 2 cups. I assume you're working with a doctor on this? Obviously his/her directive makes much more sense than mine.
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    I've been on a low carb diet for just over a month and have lost 24 pounds.. I went on this diet because I was diagnosed as a Type 2 Diabetic with my blood sugar in the 300s.. My blood sugar is now absolutely normal, usually in the 80s and 90s. I really had no idea that I would lose weight on this diet, I did it for the blood sugar control. It was a happy surprise. I try not to go over 30 grams of carbs per day. While it is good that you are watching your carbs since you are insulin resistant, if your blood sugars are good on the 50 grams I wouldn't go any lower. When you go under 30 grams of carbs a day you put your body into ketosis (necessary for me).. i.e. You change your fuel source from carbs to protein.. and you would really have to watch your protein intake. And you absolutely need to be under a doctor's care.

As for cinnamon, .. one tablespoon of cinnamon has 5 grams of carbs. It does Not help with blood sugar control. It is a Lie.

I recommend that you read Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis. You may be happily surprised. :)
  • ropogo
    ropogo Posts: 3 Member
    you might want to look into the "Whole30" program. i did it back in june and i found it to be an effective jumpstart to going low-carb. it keeps you at zero sugars (minus allowing for a little fructose) and carbs low. it's not for everyone, but then again, you only do it for 30 days.
  • xxcooneyxx
    xxcooneyxx Posts: 221 Member
    I eat low carb. Not on purpose mind you, I just try and get a ton of protein and when it's all said and done I don't have any calories left for carb heavy food. I usually end up at around 50 carbs a day. Like I said, I don't really watch my carbs but MFP tracks them for me anyway so I have noticed I eat low carb. I've lost 54 lbs so far.

My best friend is on a low carb diet and she eats about 50 a day as well and has lost about 35 lbs.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    I've been less than 50g of carbs a day for about 6 months now (I started on 30g).

Minimal grains, sugar, legumes. I'm no saint but those are my guidelines.

I feel great generally, no cravings, don't really get hungry, I've no idea what my weight is but the clothes feel looser.

My one tip? Don't be afraid to eat fat and don't overdo the protein (OK, two tips).

And fruit is overrated and will very efficiently kick you out of ketosis if this is your goal. (three ...)

Come on over to the group if you want some ideas:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/411-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group-

Did I mention eating fat? ;)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!