Tilapia

Options
AmberElaine84
AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
I'm thinking about making Tilapia for dinner tonight! I think the package says 100 cals per 4 oz serving...can't beat that. However, I need some ideas thrown my way about how to cook it...(and make it test good in the process!!) I generally spray a pan with cooking spray, then squirt some lemon juice, salt and pepper on the top, but my husband and I are looking to try something different this time! Thanks!! :)

Replies

• haleysman
    Options
    cover top of fillet with a couple Tablespoons of pest then bake it, or sprinkle a few bread crumbs over the seasoned fillet, then a little bit of melted buter or margarine, it's like a lowfat fish stick...either way, bake for about 15 mins at 375...could also do it stove top in a frying pan and go far a cajun style blackened tilapia...put fillet in a ban with a lil lemon juice, some white wine, sprinkle with curry powder, top with crushed tomato and red onion slices, then cover with foil and bake...that's a few of the ways i do it
  • ideretic
    Options
    Hi,

Sometimes I like to coat it lightly with a mix of flower and chili powder ... and I like garlic so sometimes I roast some garlic together with it and put some seasoning on it!
  • sssrip
    sssrip Posts: 72
    Options
    We put crushed tomato's over top.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i don't know if you have a penzy's spice in your area, but 'fox point' is the greatest seasoning for white fish. we use it with tilapia, walleye, pike, orange roughy. yum! add a smidge of butter and bake.

it might be too late for this time around, but here's a link to their store - http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysfoxpoint.html.
    dawn
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I usually cook it with lemon juice and some fresh garlic, but sometimes when I need a change I will cover it (loosely) with pico de gallo instead and cook it in the oven like that - very good and very easy!
  • dolphin7
    dolphin7 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    we put seasonings on it like, cumin, chili powder, bit of garlic salt, rub it in on the fish, drizzle a bit of lime juice and olive oil, let it marinade for 30 min. in the fridge, then make a black bean/corn salsa, after grilling the fish, serve with the black bean corn salsa, so good!
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    i line a baking pan with foil, lay the tilapia filets on it and put two tablespoons of black bean salsa (fresh gourmet or archer farms) it is so good
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    i don't know if you have a penzy's spice in your area, but 'fox point' is the greatest seasoning for white fish. we use it with tilapia, walleye, pike, orange roughy. yum! add a smidge of butter and bake.

it might be too late for this time around, but here's a link to their store - http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysfoxpoint.html.
    dawn

Ooooh! Foxpoint is also amazing on vegetables (steamed or roasted) then squirted with lemon juice. Mmmm...

I've only made it once. Coat it in egg whites then dredge it in parmesan cheese and cook it in a pan sprayed with a little cooking spray. Super good! To cut the calories from the cheese you can use crushed fiber one cereal and half the cheese or breadcrumbs.
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Options
    Fish tacos -- I got this recipe from recipe.com and customized it to what we like in our house...yummy!
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fiery-Fish-Tacos-with-Crunchy-Corn-Salsa/Detail.aspx
  • tmgray08
    Options
    Tilapia makes great fish tacos - I serve with Carribbean Black Beans and Rice either as sides or on the tacos

Fish Tacos - season with cumin, salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne or you can buy blackening spices. Sautee in a pan with a little olive oil until it gets a little bit of a crust or is golden brown on both sides (only a few minutes on each side) Serve on tortillas with shredded lettuce or cabbage, salsa or pico de gallo, and fat free sour cream (Tillamook is my favorite brand)

Beans - Sautee onion, red and orange pepper until tender, season with cumin, salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne. Add in black beans, reseason as necessary, reduce to low, add in the juice of 1/2 of a lime, add 1/2 tsp sugar and a couple dashes of cinnamon.

Rice - I buy the Trader Joes frozen Jasmine rice. Microwave for three minutes and put in a sauce pan on med to med-high heat. Add a half of a can of fire roasted chopped tomatoes, and about a tablespoon or two of Lawry's Mexican Chile Lime marinade, season with cumin, salt, pepper, garlic powder.

This meal can be made in about 30 minutes. Start with the beans, they take the longest. Enjoy!
  • rachelog
    Options
    I made this recipe last night, we thought it was great. Also easy and quick to make.

2 tilapia fillets
    1/3 T spoon olive oil
    3 T Parmesan cheese
    2/3 parsley flakes
    1/3 butter
    1/2 T lemon juice
    1/3 t garlic pepper

Mix all dry ingredients and set aside. Heat a large saute pan and add olive oil, butter and lemon. Saute tilapia for 2-3 per side until white and flakey. Sprinkle cheese mixture on fillets and saute each side for another minute.
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Love to make fish tacos!! I sprinkle a little mrs. dash on both sides, spray a baking dish with some low fat cooking spray. Bake in the oven for about 20 to 25 minutes or until it flakes with a fork. Weigh out 4 oz and split between 2 ortega hard taco shells. A little lettuce, a little red onion and a litle tomato. Very very yummy. For the two tacos it's only 228 calories and 246 in sodium. My meals usually always consist of a protein (the fish), a fast carb (the tacos) and a slow carb (some type of veggie). So I may steam some veggies with it. Served with a salad with 2 tbsp of bolthouse honey mustard dressing and it's plenty of food!

Christine
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!! It sounds like parmesan cheese really makes a great ingredient for the fish! I'm actually excited now to go make dinner!!:smile:
  • jyt2573
    jyt2573 Posts: 80
    Options
    My go-to recipe for tilapia is pretty easy to make. I dice up peppers (1/2 each of red, yellow and green) and chop up about a cup or cup and a half of broccoli. To the veggies, I add 1 8oz. cup of fat free sour cream and about 2 tbs. of dry ranch seasoning and stir it all together. I lay out a large piece of aluminum foil and put two lime slices in the middle. I put the tilapia filet on top of the limes and the veggie mix on top of the tilapia. Then I seal it up and bake for 20-25 minutes at 325. (My nose usually tells me when it is done.) I serve this with mashed potatoes. It is the meal I crave most when I have been away from home!
  • EmilyKonfrst
    Options
    Bump
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    We like to cook it in a small amount of a vinaigrette such as Kraft Sun Dried Tomato, or Raspberry/Walnut or a variety of others. It adds very little calories and really enhances flavor. We use this with chicken breast as well!:tongue::bigsmile:
  • LessofLeeAnna
    Options
    Mrs. Dash all the way!
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I made this recipe last night, we thought it was great. Also easy and quick to make.

2 tilapia fillets
    1/3 T spoon olive oil
    3 T Parmesan cheese
    2/3 parsley flakes
    1/3 butter
    1/2 T lemon juice
    1/3 t garlic pepper

Mix all dry ingredients and set aside. Heat a large saute pan and add olive oil, butter and lemon. Saute tilapia for 2-3 per side until white and flakey. Sprinkle cheese mixture on fillets and saute each side for another minute.

I make a recipe similar to this, althought sometimes I subsitute corn flakes for the parmsan and/or do a bit of both. Another variation is to lightly coat the fish in dijon mustard or bold n spicy mustard before adding p.cheese or crumbs, makes it sooo yummy.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options

2 tilapia fillets
    1/3 T spoon olive oil
    3 T Parmesan cheese
    2/3 parsley flakes
    1/3 butter
    1/2 T lemon juice
    1/3 t garlic pepper

This sounds like the recipe I make and my husband loves it! He's been bugging me to make it again since it's been awhile.