Runing a 5k (1st time): What to eat before & night before?

Options
Running a 5k in the morning. Recommendations for dinner tonight and breakfast before the race? Thanks!!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    What you normally eat. Don't try anything new that might give you an upset stomach.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Not a whole lot of prep needed for a 5k. Make sure you're hydrated, drinking plenty of water today and some in the morning as well. Eat what you'd normally eat before a run in the morning - no new foods. Lay out what you're going to wear (again, nothing new, unless they gave you a race tee), pin your bib number on your shirt if you've already picked up your race packet.

Get ready to have fun! :bigsmile:

Great topic here with all kinds of first race preparations - he covers everything from a 5k to a full marathon. Helped ease my first race jitters - check it out.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Eat a normal dinner.
    Tomorrow, eat what you would normally eat before a run. I usually eat a banana or 1/2 bagel. Don't overload on food.
    Don't try anything new.
    It is only 3.1 miles, you don't need to carb load.
    Make sure you use a bathroom before race starts.

Have a great time!
  • fitmommy75
    fitmommy75 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I don' t know if this is the best advice, but before I race I eat pasta the night before and then a high protein breakfast about 90 minutes before running. This gives me enough energy to get me through. After the race, I usually eat a Cliff bar.

GOOD LUCK and enjoy! The 5K races become addicting. I started with a 5K a few months ago and now I'm training for a half marathon.
  • gtlightning98
    gtlightning98 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I doubt you're trying to break any record on your first 5K so I'd just eat a normal meal. Maybe you should watch out for any foods that might cause you personally to have issues like spices or greasy food. I wouldn't stress it.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Just edited that into my post up there. ^^^ :bigsmile: Still one of my favorite threads and I link to it all the time! Great info - thanks!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Same as you would before any training run.
  • cmirvin
    Options
    Thank you so much for that post by AZtrailrunner. I am training for my first 10k, reindeer run in jacksonville florida.