How much of your daily exercise do you log???

Options
A lot of times I see people logging things such cleaning and walking for five mins as exercise in their diary. I personally only add my calories burned at the gym or duiring workouts and I feel this works best for me. I am just curious how everyone else out there does it and feels about it. So please, lets hear em ya'll!! :) (ps. NO RUDENESS WE ARE ALL HERE FOR THE SAME REASON)

Replies

• jconnolly528
    Options
    I only log active exercise (c25k, elliptical, etc.). I feel like my TDEE include basic walking to and fro, so why add it again?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    none
  • Nefetete
    Nefetete Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I only log my workouts (i.e. gym) since I want to track those. All other activities, such as shopping, cooking, regular walks are part of my daily life, I don't see a reason personally to keep track of those.
  • nklunk
    nklunk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I only log my workouts.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    we're all here for the same reason?

lol jk

I only log dedicated workout time. like... I log my workouts. anything else didnt get me in fantastic shape so it must not count.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I'm eating at tdee so I don't log the amount I wo, I log 1 for any wo I do.
  • lizblizz2012
    lizblizz2012 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I only log it if it's not part of my normal daily activities AND if I think I burned a significant amount of calories from it. To me cooking and cleaning should already be taken into account in your TDEE.... so eating back those calories would be like taking 2 steps backward. And if I do something I don't normally do but I think it burned under 100 calories I don't log it. I don't want to get into that habit. Bottom line, if I change into my workout clothes and break a sweat, it's log worthy. If I didn't sweat and I was just doing normal daily things, it's not log worthy.
  • AEFidgets
    AEFidgets Posts: 243
    Options
    I only log workouts because daily activity is already factored in
  • Amanda82691
    Amanda82691 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I only log my workouts (i.e. gym) since I want to track those. All other activities, such as shopping, cooking, regular walks are part of my daily life, I don't see a reason personally to keep track of those.

Totally agree
  • TriNorm
    TriNorm Posts: 27
    Options

+1
  • MrsGSR
    MrsGSR Posts: 88
    Options
    I only log actual work outs, going to the gym or going out for a run etc
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    I log walks that I do on the treadmill, basically because I am too unfit and heavy to actually run properly yet. Some people are literally starting from zero fitness levels and a walk will break them out in a sweat. I feel things such as cleaning, sweeping etc I wont really log as I do that pretty much every day, but walking etc it is a constant walk, no slowing, no rests in between so I log them. I think being honest is the key here, if the activity has broken you into a sweat and raised your heart, then log it. If not then don't. Simple as really.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I just log my workouts. The site is called "My Fitness Pal" and I personally don't consider things such as "Housecleaning" or "Grocery Shopping" fitness activities. To each their own of course...
  • xkdrowex
    xkdrowex Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I log my workouts... but I do also log some cleaning.. and when I work with my dad at his garage I will occasionally log that as some calories burnt if I did something calorie-burn worthy.. Thursdays I clean 2 houses. One is a huge home that takes me 4-5hrs to do and I break a sweat trying to get it done even in that amount of time. I logged working at the garage today as I lifted several full 5gal pails of antifreeze to be dumped into other jugs to be given to people who need it, dug a hole, moved other heavy items (carrying starters/alternators out back to the shed)... I sometimes unmount rims which involves lifting the rim with tire to waist level to put it on the machine and using the machine to take the tire off the rim, then taking the tire outside and stacking the rims... this is definitely calorie burn. I don't log my normal housework at home or any food preparation or anything like that.
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Workouts only for me....
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I log unusual activities because they aren't part of my TDEE. If I go for a run I log it - if I clean my house (dusting, sweeping, mopping, etc) I don't log it. If I walk to my car I don't log it - if I deep clean my house (moving furniture, shampooing the couches, intensive cleaning that isn't an every day or every week occurence) I log it. I don't get extra credit for living my life - I get extra credit for doing extra stuff.
  • Fit_Vixen
    Fit_Vixen Posts: 201
    Options
    I only log my actual workout's. However, if I can't get a workout in on a certain day, and I'm doing serious house cleaning or walked a long distance then I'd log it in as such
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I log purposeful workouts with the intention of burning calories for a set period of time. My routine burn from housework or incidental movement like walking down the stairs to do laundry would mostly get captured on my fitbit device.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I only log intentional workouts (things you need to change your shoes to do) and keep my budget set at sedentary. If you chose anything over than for your TDEE then some activity calories have already been factored in based on how many workouts you chose.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Only workouts. I picked "lightly active" as my modifier to include everyday things and my part time job.