Going Vegan

Options
Hey all,

I'm going Vegan after being vegetarian for 8 years :) I would like to know if you have some tips and advice on becoming vegan and how you keep a good balanced diet. I will not be a complete 100% raw food because I do like to cook some veggies but mainly I would like to keep 80% raw :)

wish me luck :)

Replies

• feathertouch
    feathertouch Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Come on peeps! I know theres vegan out there :P
  • mommycullen
    mommycullen Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I started eating meat when I was pregnant (was vegetarian for years) and now I am trying to gradually cut meat out. I am no vegan (YET) but I support you and strive towards that way of eating.

I have a friend who watched that movie Knives over Forks, went full vegan and lost 50 pounds. Maybe its time I do the same.

:)
  • feathertouch
    feathertouch Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    oooh haven't seen that one yet.....don't know if my tortured mind tonight could handle it but I'll check it out! Well support eachother, I have a great recipe for a spicey bean patty i can give you :) adjust the spice to your preffered flavouring though becuse i like things hot! hahaha
  • lisaann1061
    lisaann1061 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your new venture! I have been eating a vegan diet for almost a year now. I decided to try it for one week and felt so great that I never stopped!
    It takes A LOT of preparation ( I rely on fresh vegetables as the main focus of all my meals). I'm not a fan of any of the fake meats. Love tempeh. I have found that eating out is not hard. My husband and I still go to steakhouses ( he eats meat). I find that as long as you're nice and ask nicely restaurants are happy to make substitutions for you
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    If you need things that are quick and don't mind processed foods check out Amy's Products they offer the best frozen vegan food I've come across.
  • slenderbecky
    Options
    I am 98% vegan, always vegetarian. I think it is a great choice. I'm sure you are reading up about it, definitely read some good books about nutrition - Vegan for Life by Jack Norris and Virginia Messina will answer every nutrition question you might have.

There are so many good vegan cookbooks out there now, and you can definitely eat just as heartily as a vegan as you did as an omnivore...which is why even though I eat mostly vegan, I'm here counting my calories! Too many vegan chocolate chip cookies. ;) Feel free to friend me!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I encourage everyone to go vegan. It means that the law of supply and demand will make the meat I eat cheaper. :D

I find it patently unfair that vegan's meat is free. All of that delicious rabbit and squirrel that gets hacked up by combines and spread all over their soy. It's just wrong that I have to pay for mine and they don't. ;)
  • uhhuthatsright
    uhhuthatsright Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi new vegan!
    I'm proud of you! You might want to check out the groups tab. The happy herbivore group & team vegan are very nice. I bet you would like them. They have discussions, recipie ideas, and it is a nice place to make vegan friends.

I agree about the Amy's products. Non dairy pot pie & vegetable tamale are two of my favorites. Very filling for the calorie count. You might want to get soymilk & cereal, avocado & boca vegan burgers. These things are nice to have when you don't know what to eat. It gets easier.

My favorite vegan cookbook is called "the farm vegetarian cookbook" lots of things from scratch. I hear good things about the happy herbivore cookbooks. I want to check those out.

Good Luck to you:smile: