trying to enlist in the army, help?

Options
I've built up my lung capacity after long ruck marches with my Alice back, and am losing some weight, but being an old asthmatic (haven't had an attack in 10 years and I've passed the required tests to enlist) but need to build more endurance, I can't jog 7 minute miles, and max out at 10 mile Ricks, what can I do to help my breathing and endurance,
by the way. thanks

Replies

• troopers90
    Options
    I meant I can do 7 miles, but can only do 2 at that rate, and can do obviouslly more at a slower rate
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    just keep at it.
  • troopers90
    Options
    Yea dude I figure just give myself some time and id get there soon
  • jppd47
    Options
    Your doing more than most that we get in basic. Give yourself some PT test as you go. Get your self to at least 70 in each event. But dont sell your self short. Go for 100. With the rucking just keep at it. In basic the rucks are slow, and lighter loads. When you get to your unit the slowest pace is a 15 min/mile in full load for 12 miles, 3 hours.

If you have any question shoot me a message. 4 years active duty Infantry / 5 years in the Reserves 4 of them as a Drill Sergeant .
  • gnr123
    gnr123 Posts: 173
    Options
    Is this the British Army?

I was in the British Army and the fitness test to get in was really easy..
  • troopers90
    Options
    Thanks dude ill shoot you message soon. Thanks
  • troopers90
    Options
    No us army, but that's cool that you served in thebbritish military, how's that?
  • nickgarner6
    nickgarner6 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    As a former Drill Sergeant I think I can help you out here. You don't have to be able to run 7 min miles or finish a 10 ruck march to go to basic training for the Army. I was an Infantry Drill Sergeant at Fort Benning and almost no one who showed up for basic was able to do those things when they arrived but they were able when they left. If you get to the point where you can run 7 minute miles for at least 2 miles and finish a 10 mile ruck march with say 40 lbs in under 3 hours you will be way ahead of most people when you arrive and will have NO problems with the physical part of Basic Training. Something else you may want to work on is push ups and sit ups. Look for some good Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT) programs on the internet to help you prepare. The better you perform on the APFT in Basic the easier time you will have. Good luck and don't over think it or beat your self up. In Basic Training motivation is 90% of the battle.
  • troopers90
    Options
    Thanks nick! Yea as of right now I can't max out at 4 pullups, 35 pushups, and 50 situps, so I've got to max out my pushups when I do go, but quick question, during the entrance physical, I already know therea a running, pullup, pushup, and situp parts but what other things would I need to do?
  • troopers90
    Options
    Sorry my phone, I meant I can
  • jppd47
    Options
    No pull ups for the army. At reception they do a minor assessment, 1 min of pushups /1 min of situps and/ 1 mile run. you have to get a certain amount. To pass basic you need to do 50% in all events. 60% to pass AIT. Certain jobs have basic and AIT are combined

Shoot for at least 50 pushups in 2 min and 60 sit ups in 2 min that puts you at about 70%. But there is no reason why you cant get to 77 push ups and 82 sit ups. That will put you at max for your entire Army career, at least until they change the test/ standards.

The Army is down sizing and more competitive now, especially with PT

ETA: pull ups are not tested. But they are part of the general PT and are the best upper body BW strength exercise
  • troopers90
    Options
    Yeah,.so my best bet is to try and max out on everything?
  • jppd47
    Options
    Of course, the physical aspect is only 10% of it. The rest is mental, but if you have the physical part down some, thats less mental stress on you. It will be hard either way. But if you know you can pass a PT test before hand, your that much better off.

Always shoot for the max, dont sell yourself short. I diidnt have that attitude till a year or two into my career.
  • dlg1467
    dlg1467 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hundred pushups.com.
    It will help you build up to 100 pushups.
    They also have another 100 sit ups.
    Good luck.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    You're doing more than most people that I saw when I went through basic. I remember at the reception station at Ft. Sill doing pushups next to a guy that couldn't even do 5 in the 1 minute test. I did over 50, with little preparation.

As was mentioned, if you are running 7 min miles, start working on pushups and situps and you'll be fine. The run was always the hardest part for me, and I ran about what you do now when I got to basic. When I left I was closer to 13:30 for 2 miles and leaving AIT I was in the high 12s.

Basic is more about mental toughness, but having good fitness will help you with that. I'd bet you are fine. Keep working at it and I'm sure that you'll do very well.
  • gnr123
    gnr123 Posts: 173
    Options
    No us army, but that's cool that you served in thebbritish military, how's that?

Yeah it was great. Loved it.
    The fitness test for the British Army is only having to run 1.5 miles under 10.5 mins for males and under 14 for woman.
    A bag lift of 35 kg and carrying jerry can's for 90 metres..
    US Military sounds a lot harder..

If it's anything like over here then it's hard work at times but lots of fun..
    Good luck in there.
  • troopers90
    Options
    Thats cool! Ive always wondered how other countries trained there military men and women