Weight gain season upon us

Options
I used to say that end of October through New Years is eating season. Of course, none of us plan to succomb to temptation. The question is how?

Replies

• xxcooneyxx
    xxcooneyxx Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've posted this is several threads today but here goes...

Look at yourself in the mirror and see how much better you look. Take a moment to see how much better you feel, having lost weight. Then weigh that against how good pie makes you feel, especially now with the added guilt of knowing exactly how many calories are in it and how few "good things" like vitamins and protein are in it. Is it worth it. Is it REALLY worth it?

Also, like I say to myself whenever I feel like giving in and quitting. "If you had stuck to all your diets/ healthy eating / exercise habits in the past, you would be healthy and skinny by now!"

That being said, if you do take a "day off" your diet for a Christmas party, or for thanksgiving, plan it in advance. That way you don't feel like you caved in and failed. I noticed in years past, if I said I wasn't going to eat at a Christmas party, and then ended up stuffing my face, it would take me several days to "get back on the wagon" after my failure. If you plan it, it doesn't feel like a failure, and you can get right back to logging and working out the next day.
  • lizblizz2012
    lizblizz2012 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Moderation moderation moderation! If I tell myself I'm not going to touch holiday foods, I'd be setting myself up for failure. Still enjoy your seasonal favorites, just know when to stop :) For instance, I have not been raiding the Halloween candy bucket at work. Also for Thanksgiving I will allow myself one plate. I can put whatever I want on that plate but NO SECONDS! Set a pre-New Year's resolution... like, "I want to be able to wear a size X to the office Christmas party" or "I want to be thinner than my awful cousin Lisa with the rockin' body when she comes to visit for New Years!" :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I usually change my calories to maintenance levels right around Thanksgiving and leave them there until after NYE. It makes the season a lot more enjoyable and I also don't stress out if I go over calories here and there.

I've done this the last two years and I gained one pound the first year and two pounds last year. All of which came right back off after the holidays.
  • martintanz
    Options

That being said, if you do take a "day off" your diet for a Christmas party, or for thanksgiving, plan it in advance. That way you don't feel like you caved in and failed. I noticed in years past, if I said I wasn't going to eat at a Christmas party, and then ended up stuffing my face, it would take me several days to "get back on the wagon" after my failure. If you plan it, it doesn't feel like a failure, and you can get right back to logging and working out the next day.
    [/quoteI]

Thanksgiving Day, Christmas/Hanukah, New Years. That is 3 days spread over2 months (well, Hanukah is 8 days). Within reason, 3 cheat days will not spoil a diet. I plan to make sure I get a workout in each of those days, and resolve to keep things moderate. That means 1 drink, no seconds on the Thanksgiving dinner, and maybe, 1 piece of pie for dessert.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    i eat what i want using moderation and portion control... go to a party just have a drink or two and a few bites, go to dinner same thing, something at work i dont like to eat other peoples food so i dont have that problem.

over time i have learned to say no to a lot of things and eat within my limits even when i am away from my food scale and measuring devices at home.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I usually change my calories to maintenance levels right around Thanksgiving and leave them there until after NYE. It makes the season a lot more enjoyable and I also don't stress out if I go over calories here and there.

I've done this the last two years and I gained one pound the first year and two pounds last year. All of which came right back off after the holidays.

this is a great idea!
  • allinoelle007
    allinoelle007 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have decided to handle the holidays by only eating holiday food on the holiday itself. That way I don't make it a whole eating season. I will indulge at Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas brunch and New Year's Eve party dinner. But not on the days before or after. I hope this helps someone!
  • xxcooneyxx
    Options
    Exactly. 3 off days won't break the bank. My parents are jewish and all my friends are people who celebrate Christmas, also I'm in college, so between all of it, for me, there are dozens and dozens of gatherings I plan on attending, most of them including lots of alcohol. So for me, I could really blow my holiday if I wasn't careful.
  • martintanz
    Options

I plan to stick to my goals through the holiday season, though this may be the first time in my life that I was actually trying to lose weight, as opposed to just maintaining, through the holidays. Last time I did big weight loss, my diet started after the holidays, and I was almost at goal weight by Thanksgiving.
  • allinoelle007
    allinoelle007 Posts: 163 Member
    Options

Look at yourself in the mirror and see how much better you look. Take a moment to see how much better you feel, having lost weight. Then weigh that against how good pie makes you feel, especially now with the added guilt of knowing exactly how many calories are in it and how few "good things" like vitamins and protein are in it. Is it worth it. Is it REALLY worth it?

Also, like I say to myself whenever I feel like giving in and quitting. "If you had stuck to all your diets/ healthy eating / exercise habits in the past, you would be healthy and skinny by now!"

I love this! Great advice!
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    This is the first year that I'm going to attempt to have some sort of self control on Thanksgiving and Christmas. I will allow myself to have a little bit of whatever I want on thanksgiving, which is pumpkin pie, cranberry sauce, and green bean casserole. I don't even want the turkey. If I can get a little bit of those three things, I'll be happy. I'm not a leftover fan, so I won't be tempted if there is any. I have to agree with what the previous posters have said about taking a step back and looking at how far you have came. That will hopefully be my motivation to enjoy everything in moderation this holiday season. I will say that I am limiting my "cheat" meals up until those dates so I can have a little extra splurge room. We'll see how it goes.
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options

I love this! Great advice!

I also think this is great advice. Thank you!
  • martintanz
    Options
    Exactly. 3 off days won't break the bank. My parents are jewish and all my friends are people who celebrate Christmas, also I'm in college, so between all of it, for me, there are dozens and dozens of gatherings I plan on attending, most of them including lots of alcohol. So for me, I could really blow my holiday if I wasn't careful.

Steer clear of the latkes. ;) I plan to allow myself maybe 1 portion, not more. Nutritionally, they are pretty much identical to french fries.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I started one year ago today and quickly realized oh maybe I should have waited until the new year. Amazingly I was able to stay under my goal every single holiday dinner. I did fill up on a lot of lo-cal appetizers, such as dill pickles, carrots, celery, cauliflower and broccoli. Then at the meal, I concentrated on things that I wouldnt have as part of my ordinary weekday meals but rather just used portion control and no second plate.

It also depends on how many holiday meals you are going to have. We usually have only one Thanksgiving meal, one meal between Thanksgiving and Christmas and one on Christmas Day. So I figure 3 meals out of a year isnt going to break me.
  • xxcooneyxx
    Options

Steer clear of the latkes. ;) I plan to allow myself maybe 1 portion, not more. Nutritionally, they are pretty much identical to french fries.

Haha Will do! =)
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I plan on being very strict with not letting myself give in. IF I get down to 147 by Oct 31st, I will allow myself 2 pieces of pizza and 2-3 drinks for a Halloween party I'm throwing November 3rd. That being said, I plan on exercising the day before, the day of, and the day after and eating JUST as much as I need to not be hungry, and use all my extra calories for the party. That way if I do gain any, it will be very little.

I am also going to cali Sunday nov 18 through Friday Nov 23rd in which I will have NO way of tracking calories. AT ALL. I'm going to eat ONLY when I'm hungry, watch my portion control, and I will be doing Jillian Micheals 30 day shred while I am down there along with long walks in the evening (if possible) Or walking around shopping.

That's my plan and I'm sticking too it. I also realize I might gain a few lbs while I'm down in Cali, but at least I'm aware that it will happen and I can help prevent myself from gaining too much by portion control and still do exercise. (most all of the meals I have will be healthy anyways as my future mother in law cooks only healthy stuff!)
  • OspreyVista
    Options
    I started one year ago today and quickly realized oh maybe I should have waited until the new year. Amazingly I was able to stay under my goal every single holiday dinner. I did fill up on a lot of lo-cal appetizers, such as dill pickles, carrots, celery, cauliflower and broccoli. Then at the meal, I concentrated on things that I wouldnt have as part of my ordinary weekday meals but rather just used portion control and no second plate.

It also depends on how many holiday meals you are going to have. We usually have only one Thanksgiving meal, one meal between Thanksgiving and Christmas and one on Christmas Day. So I figure 3 meals out of a year isnt going to break me.

I agree. Portion control for holiday's are key in my own experience.
  • OspreyVista
    Options
    This is the first year that I'm going to attempt to have some sort of self control on Thanksgiving and Christmas. I will allow myself to have a little bit of whatever I want on thanksgiving, which is pumpkin pie, cranberry sauce, and green bean casserole. I don't even want the turkey. If I can get a little bit of those three things, I'll be happy. I'm not a leftover fan, so I won't be tempted if there is any. I have to agree with what the previous posters have said about taking a step back and looking at how far you have came. That will hopefully be my motivation to enjoy everything in moderation this holiday season. I will say that I am limiting my "cheat" meals up until those dates so I can have a little extra splurge room. We'll see how it goes.

I'm in the same boat. The key to thanksgiving for me will be portion control. Which I'm VERY bad at doing in those types of situations. Good Luck :D I hope you will succeed, as I know you can.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Soooooooo true. I even posted today as my MFP status, that I found Egg Nog today. :( I'm in big trouble now :(

Just gonna keep trying. All I can do. Try MODERATION this year... I hear it works :) lol
    I figure if I eat even just 2/3 of what I did last year, I'll be doing better. :)
  • martintanz
    Options

I'm in the same boat. The key to thanksgiving for me will be portion control. Which I'm VERY bad at doing in those types of situations. Good Luck :D I hope you will succeed, as I know you can.

We are hard wired to eat more when more food is right in front of us. This is why I now avoid buffets like the plague.