Lean Cuisines: What do you think of them?

Freidon
Freidon Posts: 169 Member
I'm a college student. While I understand that others on this site are far busier, with full-time jobs and kids to look after, I just don't have the time or means to homemake all of my meals. I need something that can be stored for a while without going bad and can be quickly made. Since I'm not eating fast food anymore, that usually leaves me with sandwiches, fruits, yogurts, and frozen dinners.

Which is why Lean Cuisine saved my tail.

I'm not loyal to any specific brand, but "healthy" frozen meals come in handy. A lot. They're in my 200-300 calorie a meal goal, are quick to make, and are "lean" compared to the majority of foods on campus. (My college is in a food desert. Despite being located in a major city, the nearest grocery store with fresh fruits and vegetables is about a twenty minute drive, in an ritzy area where it's three times as expensive as it is in my hometown.)

Despite liking these, I've noticed most people on MFP appear to go completely for homemade meals, and tend to scoff at frozen meals of any sort. Should I be wary of lean cuisines and smart ones, then? Most of their meals are preservative free, so I'm not sure what the issue would be.

Replies

• The biggest issue to me is the sodium content. I am on sodium restrictions. The second biggest reason is there are just not enough veggies in there for my preferences.

ETA: I don't think they're a bad choice for an occasional meal but then I am in a position where I am within walking distance to a once a week farmer's market, there are at least three grocery store with decent prices within 10 minutes of my house. I guess if I were in your position I would probably rely on more frozen veggies, frozen fish and chicken with no breaking and I would probably eat tons of eggs because they tend to be an inexpensive form of protein.
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    The biggest issue to me is the sodium content. I am on sodium restrictions. The second biggest reason is there are just not enough veggies in there for my preferences.

I was concerned about sodium, but according to MFP, I'm well below my daily limit, so I'm not too worried about it. I do wish there were more veggies, though. : /
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    They are way too small for the price. You could get the same size meal for a dollar for another brand. Or, you could spend the same money, and get a much tastier meal that is closer to 500 calories instead of 300.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    I'm always hungry after eating them.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Why not add some frozen veggies along with your lean cuisines? I do that a lot. I'm a personal fan of Amy's frozen meals.
  • mccallp319
    mccallp319 Posts: 52 Member
    I eat a Healthy Choice meal almost everyday for my lunch at work. It comes with a main couse, a side of vegetables, and a desset. They range from 250-330 calories, and they're pretty good. They're also only like $2.48 a piece.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    I keep one or two in the freezer so I have something to bring to work if I don't have leftovers. It's not an everyday thing but it's a decent lunch in a pinch. I don't really track sodium. My current issues are protein and water. Eventually I'll have those nailed down enough to focus on sodium but I'm not too worried about it right now.
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    My first change when I started my weigh loss journey was to eat lean cuisines for lunch at work. Since I do not like to cook, they kept me from running out to Mickey D's, Arby's or any other fast food places. I can honestly say that if I hadn't used Lean Cuisines, I would not have stuck with the calorie counting for the past two years. Yes, they are high in sodium, but sodium is not a problem for me for the time being. I am still using them for my lunches and follow them with fruit. I'm full for the entire afternoon.
  • tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Just add in an additional serving of fresh or frozen) veggies on the side. Shouldn't add too many calories, but still enough content to fill you up & up your veggie intake.
  • I edited my response because I accidentally posted before i was finished while shooing my cat off my lap. If you cant find fresh veggies in your budget maybe you could pick up some small packages of frozen veggies in addition to the frozen meals.

I think people who are trying to change or improve eating habits do tend to cook more because to eat for their own nutritional needs they can control only what is prepared at home, usually frozen foods tend to be a little bland on the spices but I know there are a couple of Asian inspired lean cuisines that are not too bad.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    The biggest issue to me is the sodium content. I am on sodium restrictions. The second biggest reason is there are just not enough veggies in there for my preferences.

I was concerned about sodium, but according to MFP, I'm well below my daily limit, so I'm not too worried about it. I do wish there were more veggies, though. : /

I agree on the veggies. I have bought them before (on sale) and I used the cafeteria at work to supplement veggies. Once I was lucky and they had stir-fried some broccoli and mushrooms on the day that I happened to have Lean Cuisine beef tips .That worked out.

And I don't know about the sodium count on them (this was before MFP) but I know I always had to add salt and regretted buying that brand .:laugh:
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    I like them. They have a good variety and are easy for a quick lunch. I generally check the sodium, carb, protein and carb to protein ratios on the package to make sure they fit into my macros. Some are quite carb-y and sodium laden. But I have quite a few that I enjoy on the regular - and they are certainly affordable if you can get them on special at the super market and can find manufacturer's coupons for them.
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Love them!
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    I've been mixing some Lean Pockets into my meals for a week or two. They're pretty good and go well with something like fat free pretzels. The breakfast Lean Pockets are good too, especially after a early morning trip to the gym.
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    too much sodium.. too many carbs in the form of refined starches... not enough protein.
  • brittanykira
    brittanykira Posts: 220 Member
    I personally enjoy them. I don't eat them on a regular basis, but when I want something fast for dinner, that is usually my choice. Another thing I would do when in school, would be to cook a big meal so that I had leftovers for the next day and didn't have to worry about my meals but also guaranteed I was eating healthy and not processed foods everyday! Hope that helps a little! I know how busy University is!
  • nw00778
    nw00778 Posts: 22
    Im in my last semester of college. I know what you mean, they are so easy and don't go bad...but i will say the semester I gained weight was when I ate lean cuisines, smart ones and that stuff...I won't even go down that aisle anymore, it makes me soooo bloated...i had a love affair with smart ones three cheese ziti though
  • While they may not be fore everyone, if they fit in your servings of stuff through out the day, go for it. Some of us have better access to cooking than you may, and you are doing the best with what you have. You GO, just fit it in with your MFP. Best of luck to you.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    If you are going to eat frozen dinners don't eat the diet ones, there are some awesome bigger ones that fill you right up.

Boston Market makes a chicken breast one that is like 340 calories or something.... it's awesome and filling....

I personally try to stay away from them now as they are so high in sodium but they will do in a pinch. I would much rather grab some beef jerky, cheese, grapes and almonds though for lunch than that....
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    I like the Marie Callendar meals and the Green Giant steamers for different vegetables that I wouldn't normally cook for myself. You also might want to look at Smart Ones. Increase your water.