Do you still lose weight if you eat back exercise calories?

Options
How does this work?

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/9-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help
    Short answer, yes....How it works - Please go read this.....it explains it all.....
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! Yes!!!! This is how the MFP program works. It works, and makes sticking to this program easier.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Unless my weight loss was an illusion... yes.

It works because you still have a calorie deficit.
  • jennyish21
    Options
    I'm confused! Sorry it's my first week so I'm just getting used to this. Do you have to eat the calories you burn through exercise?

Thanks
  • snowbab
    snowbab Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    In short, when you set your goal upon creating your profile, MFP gave you a calorie goal that already took into account a deficit of either 250, 500, or 1000 calories a day depending on the rate of loss you chose. Doing exercise without eating those calories back is increasing that deficit even more which may lead to problems such as inability to maintain lean body mass (the portion of your body weight that doesn't come from fat, in other words, muscle), decreased energy levels, and if it's too much, health problems. What you're doing by eating back exercise calories is ensuring that your body can preserve lean body mass and that your energy levels and overall health won't suffer by letting the deficit drop too much.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Unless my weight loss was an illusion... yes.

It works because you still have a calorie deficit.

This!
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    For me eating back calories works. I don't usually eat all of them, some times I don't use even all the other calories, but I will eat them if I feel like it.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Yes it works and yes you should eat them!

For me, it's fantastic motivation to exercise.

I like to eat. A lot. That's how I got fat.

If I exercise, I can eat more.

It's a good trade off to me.
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP's system, then yes. If you manually set your numbers using a different calculation that already includes exercise, then no.
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Yes, at least half of your exercise calories should be eaten.
  • CarrieStL
    CarrieStL Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Yep- if hungry eat those exercise calories back and you will STILL lose that set amount / week. If you workout a lot in a day, def eat some back unless you have a TON of weight to lose. If not and in too large of a deprivation- could slow weight loss.
  • thingeringer
    thingeringer Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I am. Not fast, but I've lost 30 lbs in six months, eating back all of my exercise calories.
  • jennyish21
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! Think I'm finally getting in to it now
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    It really depends on three factors: what your actual (or adjusted) TDEE is compared to estimates you get from various prediction formulas; the degree of deficit (weekly weight loss goal in lbs); and accuracy in reporting dietary intake vs exercise calories.

If a person's RMR has decreased significantly due to chronic calorie restriction, and they chose a large enough weekly weight loss goal, then the calories eaten back may actually contribute to a surplus above their adjusted TDEE or maintain weight. If at a surplus, they'll likely continue to gain until they reach a caloric intake just shy of the old, true TDEE. Similar results can be experienced if the TDEE prediction itself is significantly greater than actual TDEE

Even if their actual TDEE closely reflects the prediction from the Mifflin-St Jeor formula that MFP uses, they could still be creating a surplus or maintaining weight if inaccurately reporting food intake vs energy expenditure.

The best way is to ensure you are eating at true maintenance while engaging in a certain level of activity for several months - and being aware of this actual TDEE calorie amount - before incorporating a fat loss intervention.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Yes, I follow the MFP directions. I lost 35 pound the first time and now I am on my 2nd 20 pounds, 8 down so far.

I try not to over think it all. Just enjoy losing weight. :drinker: