logging strength training

Options
One thing I don't like is when I try to log strength training it asks for # of set and how much wt?? What if I do a video and there are different sets and wts??? I've been putting it in as cardio??? Any thoughts?

Replies

• Gillian1913
    Gillian1913 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been putting it in as cardio as well because I wear my heart rate monitor & log the calories burned, etc.

I tried logging the individual sets on my tapes but that got to be a bit much
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    you have to log all the exercises separately..... I log my strength training just because I like to track it and see progress and stuff. I will enter in, say, "squat - 3 sets - 5 reps - weight" and then the next exercise I do. "bench press - blah blah blah " ....
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Like someone else said, I log it under strength training because I wear my HRM and logging it on here can be kind of annoying. But I keep paper logs of what I do each time I go to the gym.

When I did a video, like JM 30DS, I would log it under circuit training because it was both cardio and strength.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    On MFP i log my weight lifting as cardio, but i don't add the time i rest between my sets. So, if it takes me 75 minutes from start to finish to lift, i only log 50 minutes of weight lifting in the cardio section. However, i do log my weight lifting in a book i bring to the gym with me so i can refer back and not duplicate the prior weeks workout and also to keep track of my physical progress. However, if i was using at home DVDs I'd likely just add it as a cardio session and not keep a separate log as the video keeps track of what exercises you did the last time....
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    There's actually an option for strength training under the cardio option. It does burn calories and according to my friends with hrm it is pretty accurate. Plus don't forget (according to bodybuilding.com) you actually burn another 30% of the total within the few hrs after strength training due to repair. So that's actually a bonus deficit :) which equals more weight loss.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I would log it as cardio too. When I take my RIPPED class which uses weights (but different amounts and varies in reps. sometimes its pulses. sometimes its extra slow. or decreases by degrees) it would be too complicated to log it as strength. So I always log that as cardio. I log my strength training on the weight machines as strength training.
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I log it both ways, as cardio for my burn portion and then under strength to track my progress. I type them under 'my exercises' so they are saved for next time I use them.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I just don't bother, honestly. The strength training format on here is terrible, and the lift names are often unintuitive and goofy. I just keep a pen and paper notebook of my lifting routines. Eventually, I will abandon that too, but for now it helps to keep track of my noob gains.

Whatever I burn during lifting is just a bonus for me. No real need to track it, as unless my performance under the iron starts to suffer, I will just eat the same thing either way.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    logging weights and reps is for people who want to keep track of such things. as a fitness site this is a good thing to have (although it would be able to get a graph of it.)
    for those just in it for the calories log in the cardio section under strength or circuit.
    Those who want both need to log top and bottom cos the bottom part doesn't add to your calorie quota.
  • Storkette79
    Options
    I log it under cardio as well. There is a strength training option. I don't rest much between sets, so my time is fairly accurate. Just have a think about the time you were active and log that :)
    OH and if you want a terrific app to log your fitness fleetly is brilliant!!! So easy to use compared to all the other apps I have tried to log workouts. You can add friends too and has a news feed like MFP. Score points, have workouts, have a fitness level goal. So easy to log sets, reps and exercises and log them off as you go. highly recommend !