Recovery from mental illness..

Hi all,

I had depression from the ages of 13-19 and was in recovery for a year. I also have PTSD and anxiety.
I have since relapsed about a month ago and am finally getting help again.. meds/therapy but sometimes it is still so hard.

I know mental illnesses are meant to be a taboo subject and that you should not talk about it but in all honesty, I don't really care.. I think that talking about it is something that you really need to do or else you keep it all in and then after awhile, you explode. I know from experience..

What are your experiences? Do you have any mental health issues? Are you in recovery? Have you relapsed? What are your coping mechanisms?

Also, feel free to add me, or inbox your experiences if you don't feel open enough to sharing it here. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• acuratlsd
    acuratlsd Posts: 228
    I just found out Wednesday that I have Traumatic Brain Injury that happened in 2008. Only took them 4 years to diagnose me with it.

I always knew I seemed a little off after that explosion, just didn't know what it was.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    I just found out Wednesday that I have Traumatic Brain Injury that happened in 2008. Only took them 4 years to diagnose me with it.

I always knew I seemed a little off after that explosion, just didn't know what it was.

Yeah, the medical system can be a bit like that..
  • BeautyFromPain
    I also have minor brain damage which makes it hard to process/remember information.
  • I myself never have, minus some anxiety and depression I'm currently suffering from as part of hypothyroid, but I have a close friend who had a complete breakdown before. I know what she went through and have talked with her for hours about what caused it and how to cope. She takes some meds and we're both working on running and health to ease our anxiety. It's easily the most effective recovery I've used, and she loves it as well
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Best wishes to you both, but mental illness is NOT meant to be a taboo subject and is NOT meant to be hidden. Oh, yes, our society has made it that way, but our society is wrong (about so many things, this being one of them). So, I'm glad to see that you are talking about it. It is in talking that people heal.......good luck in your journeys!!!!
  • I dont have a mental illness but I am in Recovery for other reasons......coming up on my 4 year anniversary next month. Guess we all have our crosses to bear. I wish for you the best.
  • Best wishes to you both, but mental illness is NOT meant to be a taboo subject and is NOT meant to be hidden. Oh, yes, our society has made it that way, but our society is wrong (about so many things, this being one of them). So, I'm glad to see that you are talking about it. It is in talking that people heal.......good luck in your journeys!!!!

Those are the truest words I've ever seen. Love it, and it is so correct
  • BeautyFromPain
    I myself never have, minus some anxiety and depression I'm currently suffering from as part of hypothyroid, but I have a close friend who had a complete breakdown before. I know what she went through and have talked with her for hours about what caused it and how to cope. She takes some meds and we're both working on running and health to ease our anxiety. It's easily the most effective recovery I've used, and she loves it as well

Yep, working out works well.
    That's the only reason I got recovery for the past year before my relapse..
    started exercising after doing nothing but even now after changing it up it doesn't seem to help my mental health anymore :(
    I still exercise 6 days a week though, it's such an addiction :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    Best wishes to you both, but mental illness is NOT meant to be a taboo subject and is NOT meant to be hidden. Oh, yes, our society has made it that way, but our society is wrong (about so many things, this being one of them). So, I'm glad to see that you are talking about it. It is in talking that people heal.......good luck in your journeys!!!!

Those are the truest words I've ever seen. Love it, and it is so correct

Yup ^
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    I have Borderline Personality Disorder and Major Depressive Disorder. I am doing better overall but recently a breakup sent me into a relapse. I have also dealt with eating disorders and substance abuse (which is part of the Borderline). Dealing with any mental illness is extremely difficult, but I am grateful that I do not have a more serious condition. Just know that YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!! :flowerforyou:
  • BeautyFromPain
    I dont have a mental illness but I am in Recovery for other reasons......coming up on my 4 year anniversary next month. Guess we all have our crosses to bear. I wish for you the best.

Wonderful work!

Today will be a year since I last drank/smoked. :smile:
    I also used to be anorexic in high school..
  • BeautyFromPain
    I have Borderline Personality Disorder and Major Depressive Disorder. I am doing better overall but recently a breakup sent me into a relapse. I have also dealt with eating disorders and substance abuse (which is part of the Borderline). Dealing with any mental illness is extremely difficult, but I am grateful that I do not have a more serious condition. Just know that YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!! :flowerforyou:

I hope that you are okay ): it is hard. I sent you a friend request, hope that's okay :heart:
  • I suffer from bipolar otherwise unspecified. This really means for me I get the manic mind but its a mixed episode of depression. So I'm irritable sometimes agitated but depressed. It comes and goes. I'm on meds they do wonders. The more weight I have lost, down 47 pounds since January, the easier it is to deal. The more walking or exercise I do it's even better. When I have very bad days I can turn to food easily. It can be a challenge. They key is to take your meds. Get therapy. Avoid if you can things that get you down and remember the more natural dopamine you can make your self the more stable you are. Exercise and sunlight both will help. Good luck. Feel free to email me if you have questioned that you don't want to post here.
  • Hi all,

I had depression from the ages of 13-19 and was in recovery for a year. I also have PTSD and anxiety.
    I have since relapsed about a month ago and am finally getting help again.. meds/therapy but sometimes it is still so hard.

I know mental illnesses are meant to be a taboo subject and that you should not talk about it but in all honesty, I don't really care.. I think that talking about it is something that you really need to do or else you keep it all in and then after awhile, you explode. I know from experience..

What are your experiences? Do you have any mental health issues? Are you in recovery? Have you relapsed? What are your coping mechanisms?

Also, feel free to add me, or inbox your experiences if you don't feel open enough to sharing it here. :flowerforyou:

I was diagnosed with high anxiety and bipolar disorder about three years ago. I saw a therapist for about a year and a half and took xanax to calm my panic attacks down. Therapy really helped me. Then, my therapist left the facility and got a new job elsewhere. She no longer took my insurance at the new place, so I had to stop seeing her. Since then, I've developed bulimia, and my anxiety/bipolar disorder has been worse than ever. I keep trying to recover on my own, but it's just not working out. I'm nervous about starting to see a new therapist, but I know I need the help. I actually left a voicemail with a therapist today hoping to make an appointment in the near future.
  • BeautyFromPain
    I was tested for Bipolar about half a week ago but they just sent me off to a Psych.. haven't seen her yet as is so expensive
    They weren't sure whether I was actually Bipolar or it's just the endorphins kicking in every so often.

Can anyone specify the difference between the two?
  • BeautyFromPain
    :heart:
    Hi all,

I was diagnosed with high anxiety and bipolar disorder about three years ago. I saw a therapist for about a year and a half and took xanax to calm my panic attacks down. Therapy really helped me. Then, my therapist left the facility and got a new job elsewhere. She no longer took my insurance at the new place, so I had to stop seeing her. Since then, I've developed bulimia, and my anxiety/bipolar disorder has been worse than ever. I keep trying to recover on my own, but it's just not working out. I'm nervous about starting to see a new therapist, but I know I need the help. I actually left a voicemail with a therapist today hoping to make an appointment in the near future.

I'm sorry to hear that :heart:
    I'm not too sure how I will go seeing a therapist.. last time I went to one she ended up getting me kicked out of home, she told my parents what I told her and I was not meant to tell anyone. I'm scared they will do the same..
    Good luck!
  • HI!

I had serve APD (avoidant personality disorder) which started around 5th grade and stayed with me all through high school. Even when I took 2 years of college I was still extremely anti-social and timid among other things that come with the disorder. I was depressed for the longest as well..but honestly, looking back on all that I've been through, I can truly say that its made me a stronger person. It sure did suck going through it, lol but I've learned a lot about myself in the process of "recovery" and discovered the confidence / self love I needed to never revert back :)

... and oh yh, I totally agree with you about sharing/ not holding things like that in. If your'e coming from a positive place, it never hurts to share your struggles! I think people like that are incredibly inspiring ! :smile:
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member

Exactly the same situation here as yourself, with the bpd, depression, ED, and dealing with a breakup right now.

Also have OCD, social anxiety and anxiety issues, so yep.
    Feel free to add me, anyone who wishes to.
  • A good psychiatrist can. Bad ones can do messed up things to you. I have a very good one. Manic episodes make you feel superhuman. It's not like an endorphins. I don't know exactly what to tell you. I've been told its euphoric. Me mine are racing mind and apathy. I can be really unreasonable too.

Exercise has really helped. Like even just walking 30-45 mis 3-4 times a week.
    I was tested for Bipolar about half a week ago but they just sent me off to a Psych.. haven't seen her yet as is so expensive
    They weren't sure whether I was actually Bipolar or it's just the endorphins kicking in every so often.

• BeautyFromPain
    A good psychiatrist can. Bad ones can do messed up things to you. I have a very good one. Manic episodes make you feel superhuman. It's not like an endorphins. I don't know exactly what to tell you. I've been told its euphoric. Me mine are racing mind and apathy. I can be really unreasonable too.

Exercise has really helped. Like even just walking 30-45 mis 3-4 times a week.

HAHA. Okay well I do feel pretty superhuman sometimes so guess I'm gonna go find a psych :grumble: damnn
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Weight lifting helps.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Weight lifting helps.

I do lift heavy weights (or what I think is heavy anyway), run, cycle, walk and dance.
  • :heart:
    Hi all,

I'm not too sure how I will go seeing a therapist.. last time I went to one she ended up getting me kicked out of home, she told my parents what I told her and I was not meant to tell anyone. I'm scared they will do the same..
    Good luck!

Thank you. <3

How old were you when that happened?
  • BeautyFromPain
    :heart:
    Hi all,

Good luck!

Thank you. <3

How old were you when that happened?

17. Due to unforeseen circumstances I ended up going back just over a year later.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Yes.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Weight lifting helps.

I do lift heavy weights (or what I think is heavy anyway), run, and dance.
    Cardio doesn't seem to help my mood any, but I always feel good after lifting. I also have two left feet, so dancing is out of the question for me.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Weight lifting helps.

I do lift heavy weights (or what I think is heavy anyway), run, and dance.
    Cardio doesn't seem to help my mood any, but I always feel good after lifting. I also have two left feet, so dancing is out of the question for me.

HAHA Well I've been dancing since before I could walk :wink:
    Running used to help and dancing still helps a bit, but nothing like it used to and it is gone within an hour or two now.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Consider asking your doctor or therapist if DBT would be a good treatment for you, and if yes, if there is a class or group near you. It's a great way to learn a lot of different skills.
  • I have been diagnosed with depression, anxiety, and severe ADD. More recently, they have tried to slap the bipolar type 2 label on me as well. I have been suffering with these things going on 20 years now. Many, many ups and downs and one complete nervous breakdown that landed me in the hospital for a couple days. I have really come to the realization that with a relatively healthy diet and exercise at LEAST 5-6 days a week (along with an antidepressant and ADHD medication), it keeps my symptoms pretty much in check. Also, weird, I have noticed the less I watch TV, the less depressive and anxiety symptoms I have, so I've cut out about 90% of my TV watching.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Consider asking your doctor or therapist if DBT would be a good treatment for you, and if yes, if there is a class or group near you. It's a great way to learn a lot of different skills.

What's DBT?