Having A Hard Time With Calorie Limit..

Options
I can stay under my calorie limit as long as I've exercised - but I know that's not really the idea. The idea is to eat the calorie limit they've suggested and burn more calories by exercise... Isn't it?

Am I doing this wrong?

If I "earn" calories by exercise, I want to eat them too, but on the days I don't exercise (like today) I go over the 1200 suggestion. :( Maybe I just can't keep myself under 1200.

I don't really know how to handle myself with emotional eating and overeating.

Advice and suggestions? Help?

Replies

• sselraef
    sselraef Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    you can eat your exercise calories back :) Maybe just eat 75 percent though??
    :) I mean, you earned them

it was hard for me to stay under 1200 when i first started because i ate out all the time and just complete CRAP
    stick to a mostly fruits and veges diet, with occasional meat and bread and you'll see that you can stay under very easily.
    Don't give up
    always have snacks and distractions
    if you are an emotional eater, try to go work out, or clean or something
    something positive
    and if you have baby carrots, or grapes its great to just eat and eat and eat
    my new fave snack is special k, I get the almond kind, fill a bag up with a cup and a half
    and eat that throughout the day when i feel emotionally ready for some gooooooood food haha

Im not a poster child, i mess up sometimes too
    but keep at it, and forgive yourself :)
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    What is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE)?

For example, let's say your TDEE is 1900 calories, meaning you neither lose nor gain by eating 1900 calories a day. On your rest day you go over 1200, but as long as you stay under 1900 (or whatever your TDEE is), you will still continue to lose.
  • DannPM31
    Options
    Stuff like a 2 cup full bowl of blueberries for breakfast is literally 120 calories and enough to fill me up for at least 2-3 hours before I even think of eating again.

Two medium potatoes (~550 grams) mashed with a tad of skim milk and whipped cream cheese (the latter replaces the butter normally used) is under 500 cals and STUFFS me for many many hours. Add some spicy as hell Indian curry and the water you'll need to cool your mouth while eating will turn this into two meals.

Look around, find the natural unprocessed foods (mostly produce section stuff) and you'll find a plethora of filling and great tasting ways to eat well and stay within your caloric limits.
  • jbaerbock
    jbaerbock Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have some odd medical things that prevent me from eating much at a time. But honestly what has worked for a lot of people is to eat small amounts throughout the entire day. This way your stomach never really has a chance to tell your brain "Hey feed me!". Small things make a huge difference in what you eat as well. For example I eat the same cereal as before (always thought it was too sweet) but instead of milk I pour Unsweetened Silk Almond Milk which is 30 cal versus 110 (1%) and has more calcium. Brings down the sugar level plus still wets down the food and tastes good, but decent chunk of calories saved.