Just Bought a Gazelle

Options
Just bought a Tony Little Gazelle off the CL.

Kind of an impulse buy but I have to have something to exercise on.

I figure if I watch one episode of TV drama a day while using it, that's 800 calories burned each time...!

Anybody have experiences with it, good or bad?

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Depends on which model you got. Originally there were different models of it, and the higher ones gave you the ability to increase resistance. They eventually did away with those models though and the only one still being produced today is the Gazelle Edge, the cheapest/lowest-end model, which does not give you the ability to increase resistance.

The Gazelle is a very basic cardio tool that works similar to an Elliptical. You won't achieve insanely high burns with it because of the lack of resistance adjustment (and even the ones that had it didn't have THAT much), but it's great moderate intensity, no-impact cardio. You'll see good results doing it an hour a day. You'll hear a lot of people on these forums talk negatively about it because the guy who invented it (Tony Little) is kind of a creep and its very gimmicky, and they'll tell you that you can do better with a treadmill or just going out and running/walking, but let's be real here. You bought this because you wanted something cheap that placed absolutely no stress on your joints and allowed you to mindlessly burn calories and get in a decent cardio workout while parking yourself in front of the TV. And in that particular role, I think you've made a fine choice in getting a Gazelle.
  • Tryinonemoretime
    Tryinonemoretime Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have problems with my hips and heels so my Gazelle works really well for me. No impact at all and I am up off my lazy chair and moving. No matter what type of equipment you buy, if you use it then it is working for you! I hold dumb bells and exercise my upper arms too.. Like I said, no matter what, you are up and moving and that is a good thing! Good luck to you on your journey!
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    We have the elite which must be about 7 years old now. It has 3 resistance settings and I still can't do more than a few minutes on the lowest one.
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Zero impact and it is more than adequate for getting your heart rate up and making you sweat buckets.

The one major drawback for the Gazelle is the sheer size and weight of the damned thing. It's a complete swine to move and is very very heavy and awkward to hold whilst trying to move. I've had proper rage from the the swinging parts bashing my shins whilst trying to move it.

Enjoy your new exercise machine and ignore those that say it doesn't work. You'll get out what you put in, like most things.
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I thought you actually bought the animal. Didn't know that was exercise equipment of the same name....
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I had one waaaay back in the day. It was fun.