SURVIVE THE UPCOMING SEASONS WITH ME - Tiff

Options
Hey guys - just wanted to start a dedication thread to help us each get thru this whirlwind holiday season thats FAST approaching.

- - - - - - SEASONS TO SURVIVE - - - - - - -

*~HaLlOwEeN - Spooky calories that come in lil plastic-innocent looking wrappers. Pop in one or two and before you know it you've eatten a whole sleeve of almond joys! And your house is getting egged by local sugared up munchkins!

~*Thanksgiving - oh yes there is much to be thankful for, but you dont have to eat a bite for every blessing you've gotten thru the year. Enjoy the family time - dont let old habits creep up and make you miserable the rest of the weekend -there's shopping to do for crying outloud! :)

*~Ahhh finally CHRISTMAS - "Momma, NO I dont want you're peanut buttery,delicious, homemade buckeyes mailed to me!"...- she keeps rambling and nagging-, "NO MOM its not because someone down here makes them better! It's becuase I'm in pants that are smaller than what I wore as a Junior in High School and I wamt to keep it that way."

*~*~*~*~*~How to survive Office Carry In's thru the Holiday Seaon ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

When organizing who's bringing in what - try throwing out healthy alternatives, ex: veggie tray, fruit tray, crackers/whole grain breads and healthy dips, jello cubes in shapes that match the holiday season, etc....

Pre-cut/Divide servings so that they are below serving size - you know how carry-in's are, always so much to think you want but you don't need a full serving of everything, do you?

Keep PUSHING YOUR WATERS! If you're up to par with your waters you are going to feel heavier and not want to overeat bc that'll just add to your "heavy" feeling.

Most importantly - KEEP LOGGING thru the holiday season, KEEP WORKING OUT out, give yourself that time that YOU DESERVE THAT TIME TO BE SELFISH AND FOCUS ONLY ON THE WAYS YOU WANT TO IMPROVE BODY, SOUL, and MIND- Mom's, Dad's, Businessmen and Businesswoman, grandmas, Aunt's..it doesnt matter -

PLEASE ADD TO THIS...I need tips/advice/encouragment too - being locked in a police center/911 communications center thru the holidays is a CALORIE WARFIELD - I know Im going to struggle daily but I'm just keeping my goals in the forefront of my mind.

Thanks guys,
Tiff (always accepting new friends as well - just no creepers please :)

Replies

• sportytalldoll
    sportytalldoll Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    bump
  • aimeealee
    aimeealee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. Every summer and fall, I feel great, lose the weight that is gained over the winter, and vow to maintain Oct thru May. I have not once succeeded at this. I am very frustrated and tired of this. However, I did not use this site faithfully like I am now. So, I am going to be faithful at logging in every day, and staying focused! My trick at work is to not even taste what everyone brings in, but when they ask, I just say it was delicious. Fortunately, I am constantly zooming around the building, so no one is hovering to make sure that I try something. Keep the treats in another room so you can't see them. Once you start it is so hard to stop. Don't even start. I have felt myself slipping lately, I am nipping that in the bud Right Now! Good Luck!!!!
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I feel like destroying a thanksgiving turkey with cranberries.
  • jeremybrooks
    jeremybrooks Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm hanging in there with you. i relish the thought that working out earns me a few extra calories to eat. My plan is to focus on limiting my portions and still eating the things I enjoy during the holidays.
  • linzisparkles
    linzisparkles Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I agree with jeremybrooks. I will likely get pouty if I don't get to eat traditionally over the Christmas season. Thanksgiving has already passed in Canada so at least that's out of the way for me haha. But I'm thinking 1/4th servings of everything I normally eat at Christmas plus additional workouts will work the best for me! Eggnog and rum is my real challenge!
  • sportytalldoll
    Options
    I feel like destroying a thanksgiving turkey with cranberries.

hahah! protein and fruit!
  • Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Oddly I am trying to enjoy the season in moderation.
    I bought ALOT of cute little smelly candles. Like Pumpkin pie candles, gingerbread, apple, and peppermint. Smell your food instead of eating it?
    But I have also bought some food that I normally don't buy
    1 bag of Ginger Snap cookies
    Little box of Peanut brittle
    For some reason in the winter it feels too cold to eat ice cream so I stock up on good tasting TEAS and lower calorie hot chocolates
  • sportytalldoll
    Options
    Oddly I am trying to enjoy the season in moderation.
    I bought ALOT of cute little smelly candles. Like Pumpkin pie candles, gingerbread, apple, and peppermint. Smell your food instead of eating it?
    But I have also bought some food that I normally don't buy
    1 bag of Ginger Snap cookies
    Little box of Peanut brittle
    For some reason in the winter it feels too cold to eat ice cream so I stock up on good tasting TEAS and lower calorie hot chocolates

love the candle idea! and the hot teas idea / hot cocoa reminder!
  • ScubaAmyMN
    ScubaAmyMN Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Halloween - only eat the candy that that is an actual favorite, instead of devouring everything.

Thanksgiving - I will try to limit (or at least be conscious of) the grazing of appetizers, candy and cookies, and sticking to eating the actual meal.

Christmas - I go shopping for Christmas presents a LOT, so it will be important to eat good meals at home and bring a good selection of healthy snacks, so I'm not as tempted to buy Mall food.

All the holidays - limit special edition coffee treats to weekends, and then drink mindfully and actually enjoy it.

Workout MORE and stay on MFP!
  • TriNorm
    TriNorm Posts: 27
    Options
    Good advice. Thanks.

My plans for the holidays:

Halloween - Just avoiding the candy altogether. I'm better at going without than trying to limit myself when it comes to candy - much easier for me to have none than just a couple pieces.

Turkey day - Tough one, but at home this year, so the plan is to keep it healthy, skip the appetizers/snacks, and maintain my portion sizes (I've found weighing everything for MFP helps <grin>)

Christmas - I'm still figuring out how to be good this year as we'll be out, but my current plan is to fill up on vegetables, etc. before the get-together.
  • sportytalldoll
    Options
    loving all the tips that everyone is leaving! you guys rock!
  • dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a cheat meal once in a week and I just shift it to important get togethers. If I know it's going to be a big one I try to keep the day low and healthy (I had a protein shake for breakfast and a homemade green smoothie for lunch before my uncle's birthday with a delicious dinner today).
    And try not to drink too much alcohol, it makes you stop feeling when you ate enough.
    And I don't snack from the crisps and nuts and cookies standing around. It's hard but doable - and for me it's easier no to snack at all, than a little...

And don't forget to ENJOY the holiday season, the food, your friends and families!