my periods have stopped. advice please?

Options
Hi
My periods have stopped due to extreme dieting and exercise.
I've been healthier for about 2-3 months now but my periods have still not come back.

I'd love to hear from any of you other ladies out there who have had this problem.
How did you fix it?
Ive gained weight but my periods are still not coming back.

(personal dets:
5'4, 117 pounds,
exercise about 4 times a week 30min - 1 hour
a mixture of speed intervals and weight training)

Replies

• jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Many female athletes stop having periods because they have very low body fat percentages but lots of muscle and are perfectly healthy so I'd be inclined to put it down to that. But if its worrying you you should go to your doctor just to get peace of mind xx
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    What do you define as "extreme" diet? How many calories do you eat in a day?
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    you... rock
  • spark409
    Options
    my body fat % is 20.4

i have been to a doctor and she was not helpful at all

all she said was gain weight and your periods will come back.

my dieting was extreme prob below 1200 so im not surprised
    now im eatin around 1800-2100 calories a day
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Your periods might come back now since you've upped you calories, might not. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you're planning on having a baby soon because it seems like it is from being active. I'm not a doctor though!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    you... rock

That is not quite the reaction I was expecting, but thanks! :)
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    How old are you? I've had this before due to severe stress. Id go see another doctor. In my case i needed medicine to deal woth the stress and it came back fine; im sure whatever it is a doctor could help. Id choose a female one too. All the best
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    you... rock

That is not quite the reaction I was expecting, but thanks! :)
    kids.. meh. i'd rather be awesome lol
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    actually your body shuts down at this point to create another life because you are at that fine line of healthy versus unhealthy and the lord above knows it would be unhealthy for you to create life during this time..

Im certain all the PCOS mothers who are trying to lose weight in HOPES & PRAYERS to have a child would just LOVE to see this thread.
  • amsy_777
    Options
    I'd go see your doctor :) A female one

It could reflect iron levels etc also; so seeing your dr will help you decide if you need to go on medication or could just alter your diet

All the best :)
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    It's because of your body fat content and your activity. A lot of athletes stop having periods. Your body is usually in prestine condition when this occurs. Consider yourself lucky and run like hell with it. Once you decide you want to have a family, you'll just have to eat a bit more and add some fat to your body and they should come back. The same thing happens in women who are severely over weight. Perfectly normal!!! No worries.
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I think children are AWESOME! Let's face it, if it weren't for children... you wouldn't be here! :P

That being said. If you are not satisfied with your doctors advice, I strongly suggest you seek out a new doctor.
    If you trust anyone's thoughts on the subject, it should be your doctors. By the sounds of it, yours isn't very good.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    kids.. meh. i'd rather be awesome lol

Now that's what I'm talking about. Go hard. Procreation is for people who are willing to accept a lesser existence. ;)
    actually your body shuts down at this point to create another life because you are at that fine line of healthy versus unhealthy and the lord above knows it would be unhealthy for you to create life during this time..

Im certain all the PCOS mothers who are trying to lose weight in HOPES & PRAYERS to have a child would just LOVE to see this thread.

Did you really just try to refute biology with Jesus? Are you serious?
    Yeah, we can see the wonders that prayer is doing for all of those large sweaty *kitten*, gradually eating their way toward Type 2 diabetes, and filling up the church pews every Sunday.
    Just stop while you're ahead.
  • spark409
    Options
    Im 20 years old.

have seen doctor but yeah.. she was not helpful at all :(

i guess im wondering when i can expect them to come back.
    im really worried that my periods have stopped PERMANENTLY (pre menopause?) and that i might never be able to have kids.
    ive had NO periods in 2012.

i guess ill give it a bit more time, hopefully my body will bounce back soon
  • Exquizyt
    Options

Did you really just try to refute biology with Jesus? Are you serious?
    Yeah, we can see the wonders that prayer is doing for all of those large sweaty *kitten*, gradually eating their way toward Type 2 diabetes, and filling up the church pews every Sunday.
    Just stop while you're ahead.

+1!

Anyways...

Are you on any new type of birth control? After switching from the pill to an IUD I don't have my monthly visitor anymore.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options

Just stop.
  • claire_90
    Options
    This happened to me last year when I went too extreme... It took about 5 or 6 months to become regular again once reducing my exercising, expanding my meals and regaining to a healthy weight

so yeah, give it at least 3 months after you reach a healthy state before you worry. ... even then mine came for like a day and that's it... 12 months on and it's all fine again
  • little_lisid
    little_lisid Posts: 47 Member
    Options

have seen doctor but yeah.. she was not helpful at all :(

Try a different one, I don't think it matters if they are male or female but more whether they'll listen to what you're saying. If you end up wanting kids later you may wish you checked this out now. And if you don't feel statisfied with the answer you get this time see someone else. Judging by the roo in the shot I am assuming your in aus, use medicare, thats what its there for, you'll get most of the cost back.
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I was very very thin as a teenager and into my 20's. At 5 foot 9 I weighed 112lb plus I spent 2 to 3 hours most days rock climbing. My periods would go from 3 months to 6 months I was ok with this because when I had them they were very heavy and very painful. I only managed to get pregnant after 7 more years when I had filled out a little and put on weight. I was naturally thin and ate like a horse.
  • MollyKnitter1
    Options
    No periods. Means too few hormones, which affects bone density, and can cause osteoporosis in later life. Or stress fractures now.....

Eat enough food every day, this site says never less than 1200, and don't lose too much weight