Bronchitis and working out

Options
Hi all,

I was suffering from a sinus/ear infection which then turned into Bronchitis and have not been able to work out for the past couple of weeks. My doctor said that it'll be at least two weeks before I can even think about working out again (grr!) and that there's no way I'll be able to go as hard as I used to.

My question is has anyone else had Bronchitis and what did you do to slowly get back into it?

I'm really frustrated that walking short distances leaves me breathless and gasping and reaching for my puffer. I understand that there's no way I can do what I used to (working out 5-6times a week doing kickboxing, cross training, yoga and strength training) but I feel like I need to do SOMETHING. My muscle mass is dwindling but I guess the good part is that my stomach has shrunk and I don't crave food anymore so I am losing weight but I feel so unfit.

So does anyone know what someone who is recovering from Bronchitis can do to at least try to stay in shape?

Replies

• peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I think I would stick to the yoga and strength training for right now and when you are cleared slowing integrate cardio back into your program. It will take you a while to get over this, but if you take it easy, stick with the low impact stuff you shouldn't lose too much momentum. Hope you feel better soon. Make sure to cough frequently to get that mucous out of your tract. You'll feel better and breath better. And hot tea with lemon and honey usually give some soothing relief also.
  • shardown
    shardown Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I think I would stick to the yoga and strength training for right now and when you are cleared slowing integrate cardio back into your program. It will take you a while to get over this, but if you take it easy, stick with the low impact stuff you shouldn't lose too much momentum. Hope you feel better soon. Make sure to cough frequently to get that mucous out of your tract. You'll feel better and breath better. And hot tea with lemon and honey usually give some soothing relief also.

Thanks!

I've been having so many lemon and honey drinks, I should probably start investing in them :p
  • Allup2Me78
    Allup2Me78 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Uggh!! I am going thru this now!! Wanting to work out and can't because of Bronchitis!!! :(
  • gem192
    gem192 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've just had a chest and sinus infection, the last of it is (hopefully) leaving my system now. Joining the gym at the weekend after almost a whole month of complete rest (I couldn't even walk upstairs in my house) building up to walking to the train station, then light strength etc. etc. Hope I do okay but I'm nervous about my chest still.

Hope you feel better soon, don't push yourself too hard, bronchitis is pretty nasty.
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have been through this. First, you MUST get extra rest. I am talking 10, 11, 12 hours a night or more. Go to bed at 8 and get up at 7. The extra sleep will help your body recover. Don't worry too much about the exercise until you are starting to feel better.

Remember that diet is really more important than exercise in terms of weight loss (I say it's like a 70-30 split diet-exercise). So don't let the eating well slip just because you are feeling crappy.

Once you are starting to feel better, you can ease back into it. Instead of pounding it for an hour spinning class, go light on the resistance. Elevate your HR, but don't go for your max HR. Walk on the treadmill instead of running. And do your cardio inside instead of outside unless you are lucky enough to live somewhere warm.

Trust me on the sleep thing though. I learned that lesson the hard way.

OR you could ask your doctor--since I am not one. :-) (disclaimer)
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    27466598.jpg

All kidding aside def take your time. Do not feel the need to rush back into it so quickly. You want your body to heal and not cause something worse later down the line.
  • missmacsays
    missmacsays Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I had it on and off for a month, mostly because I didn't give myself time to heal the first time and then needed more antibiotics and steroids to drive it away. I'm still feeling it in fact. Go easy on yourself. It's very frustrating to have to start over, but remember your weight loss and health is a long-term goal and pushing yourself when your body can't handle it will only make things worse. Like other people said, keep up with your diet and logging. Do little things if you can. Laundry, cleaning, walking upstairs or do some strength training. Whatever your body can handle. Just don't over-do it! Good luck and feel better!!