Fat Calipers

Options
The many many threads about 'gaining' weight over night or the scale bouncing back and forth prompted me to ask a question.

Anyone out there use fat calipers and would be able to tell us if that has helped you in your fitness goals? I know a person - in real life that is trying to lose weight (doing wonderfully I might add) but - each time the scale moves even by tenths of a lbs hes convinced he lost that- when it bounces back up- he goes crazy trying to figure out how he 'gained' it back.

It maddening to watch people stress over even five whole SCALE POUNDS. I say scale lbs - because I am over the scale.

There are too many threads showing awesome looking individuals who weigh more then their goal weight due to new muscle mass.
There is too much info out there about the scale, how the body loses weight and what could possibly make it go up and down.

Fat Calipers- use them? Like them? Feel its made better sense out of LOSING FAT? (not losing weight- losing fat - should be how we describe our goals, IMO)

Thanks to anyone with some insight.
PS- if theres another - or better way to track fat lose at home (aside from scale, tape measure or calipers) please share also. Thank you.

Replies

• mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Let me know what you find out! I'm researching the same thing, which is how I found your post! ;-)
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I'm getting so over the scale too - it's so fickle! I have a pair of electronic hand held body fat analyzers, but found them to be fickle as well. Working out, drinking lots of water or not enough will change them dramatically. I just bought a set of fat calipers and so far like them. I've not had any change since I got them, but with doing strength training now I've noticed a big change in how my clothes fit and how my body is shaped. I'm excited to really monitor my fat percentage because I think that gives a more accurate picture of where I am with my fitness.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I have body fat callipers. They are "nice" but very hard to use correctly. Sincerely the most useful tool I use is pictures. I just have to compare month to month to see what is exactly going on. Mt latest example:

8093951023_5f9ec3cdc4.jpg
    15 jours bulk by yanicka.hachez, on Flickr