What is your height, weight, and body fat percentage?

Options
I'm trying to get a point of comparison here, because my body fat percentage seems rather high compared to my weight and body measurements.

Could you tell me your measurements, including your body fat percentage?

Height:
Weight:
Chest:
Waist:
Hips:
Thigh:
Calf:
Upper arm:
Body fat percentage:

I'm finding myself confused, because on the pictures people post of what different body fat percentages look like, my actual size looks more like the 20% women, but when I had it measured the other day, it was actually 28.8%

My measurements are as follows:

Height: 5'5"
Weight: 118lb
Chest: 32"
Waist: 26"
Hips: 35"
Thigh: 20"
Calf: 13"
Upper arm: 10"
Body fat percentage: 28.8%

I'm considered slim. I don't have mega muscles, but I'm quite toned - I've been going to the gym for the past few months, and I have gained definition in my arms, legs and tummy. My breasts are small. So I'm guessing that the same body fat percentage can look very different in different women, and I'm curious about the variations.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    5ft5 and 118lbs and ur 28% bodyfat....? How have you measure that?
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i don't think you need all that information to compare. body fat is body fat. it doesn't really matter how much you weigh or how tall you are.

28% is about average. i think 30% or more is considered above average.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    5ft5 and 118lbs and ur 28% bodyfat....? How have you measure that?

Weight was measured by electronic scales at the gym, and body fat was measured by a little device at the gym, that I had to input data into and then squeeze with my hands. It looked like this:

omrons-hbf-360-electronic-body-fat-percentage-analyzer.jpg
  • GlutesthatSalute
    GlutesthatSalute Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Bioelectrical Impedence test.. not exactly the most accurate of measuring devices.. It's a good tool to use if you're someone who shys away from having somebody use calipers to test your body fat.. or for someone carrying too much weight where it would be hard or unrealistic to use calipers..

I am 5'4 about 135 and 15% BF per calipers. You could buy calipers and measure yourself.. Hope this helps
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 years old.

Height: 5'4
    Weight: 112
    Chest: 34
    Waist: 23
    Hips: 37
    Thigh: 21
    Calf: 13
    Upper arm: 10
    Body fat percentage: 22.5%
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Scales and tape measurements are NOT accurate in obtaining body fat %. And yes someone at a low weight can have a high body fat %. My BF% for myself will look softer or more ripped on others; it's all individual. If you want a true measurement have someone trained with calipers perform a test; do hydrostatic testing or do the Bod Pod. I have mine done via bod pod and its highly accurate.

I'm 32 yo Female, 5'2, 112lbs and at 17%. Pictures on my profile for reference.
  • kayre2
    kayre2 Posts: 5
    Options
    Body fat is not just the external fat wrapped around the muscles which is the stuff we can see. The bad fats are the deeper ones which are wrapped around the organs. Also, everyone's body holds fat in different places dependant on your body shape. If you're concerned about your BFP then try more strength training in your routine. The last time I had it properly measured, back in March, my BMI was well within the range for my height but my BFP was 36.7% which is really not great. I've measured it myself on my scales and I'm now down to BFP 27.5% but I'm waiting until I have it professionally measured again to really pass judgement on my progress.
  • opuntia
    Options
    i don't think you need all that information to compare. body fat is body fat. it doesn't really matter how much you weigh or how tall you are.

28% is about average. i think 30% or more is considered above average.

Well, if all other measurements are irrelevant, surely all the visuals on the internet about what different body fat percentages look like are meaningless. Such as this page: http://www.myfitnessstudio.co.uk/2009/05/what-different-body-fat-percentages-actually-look-like/ At 28.8% I'm a lot closer to 30% than to 20%, and yet my body looks nothing like the body of the woman who is 30% - I didn't look as big as that even when I was 25lb heavier than I am now. My body now looks a lot more like the women who are 20%, and even the woman who is 16%. You can see my ribs, collarbone and hip bones, for instance.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft5, 126lbs and my bodyfat is 22%ish, though this is only measured using a tape measure and online calculators.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Check with your local clinic and see if they offer body composition scans on a dex machine. They are pretty reasonable cost wise (not covered by insurance) I have done this a couple of times and they are great. You can get a print out of your full body with Body Fat comparisons for many sections of your body as well as total body. I am at 21%. My last scan and the MFP calculator were different by only 1/2 percent. I am 5' 7" at 136 lbs (plus or minus 3 on any given week). Hips 35 waist 29 Bust 39 Thigh 20, calf 14.5, upper arm 11. Age 62
  • Seahawk27
    Options
    I'm 5'4, about 145 lbs and I'm 24% body fat. I'm strength training currently and I have noticed a HUGE difference.
  • opuntia
    Options
    Scales and tape measurements are NOT accurate in obtaining body fat %. And yes someone at a low weight can have a high body fat %. My BF% for myself will look softer or more ripped on others; it's all individual. If you want a true measurement have someone trained with calipers perform a test; do hydrostatic testing or do the Bod Pod. I have mine done via bod pod and its highly accurate.

I'm 32 yo Female, 5'2, 112lbs and at 17%. Pictures on my profile for reference.

I think you misunderstood my post. I'm not trying to obtain people's body fat % from scales and tape measures. Obviously you need a device which is specifically for measuring body fat - which is what I used. I agree calipers are more accurate, but I don't have access to those. But anyway, what I'm wanting to do in this thread is to ascertain the variation in such measurements that are possible with a certain body fat percentage.

I've just looked at your pictures. You have a higher BMI than I do, and your body looks a bit slimmer than mine, and with more muscles definition, but I can't actually see that much difference in slimness and general shape. What are your measurements of waist, hips, etc?
  • opuntia
    Options
    If you're concerned about your BFP then try more strength training in your routine.

Well, my gym routine is solely strength training. I'm increasing the weights as I go along, and when I'm ready.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    The impedance methods can vary a lot depending on how hydrated you are a the time it was done as well as the time of the day it was taken. I can vary by around 5% BF depending on time of day, time of the month,when I took a dump last, if I just had a hard workout, if my bladder is full or empty. It should be a guide only. Have you compared it to a BF% calculators on http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ there are three different ones and you will get three different answers. Personally I take the average and use it as a tool to gauge progress. Unless you get a dexa scan or get a bodypod measurement it will be a nebulous guesstimate. As long as you use the same method under the same conditions you can use it as guide.
  • opuntia
    Options
    I'm 5'4, about 145 lbs and I'm 24% body fat. I'm strength training currently and I have noticed a HUGE difference.

I'm strength training too. I guess the weights I'm lifting are not heavy enough yet for a huge difference to happen. How heavy are the weights you lift? Do you do free weights or machines?
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I doubt your results are accurate. Did you repeat the test to verify the results? I have a scale that measure BF% the same way and it really varies a lot from day to day based on hydration status, among other things. There are too many other variable that play into it besides BF.

I think you have a couple options. You could either 1. Not worry about it, because you're clearly healthy and fit, 2. Repeat the test several times to see if you are getting consistent results, and/or 3. Have it measured in a more accurate way (if there is a trainer at your gym they probably have calipers).
  • opuntia
    Options
    I have not heard of dexa or body pod. The last gym I was at used calipers, but they couldn't work out my body fat %, because the guy was bruising my arms with the calipers, and I asked him to stop. The gym I currently use has a little handheld machine, like the one I posted a picture of, so that is what I used. I will google dexas and body pods.
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    As several other people have said, body fat looks very different on different people. The most dangerous fat is deep body fat, which surrounds your internal organs. New studies and measurements, including DEXA analysis are showing that alarming numbers of people with low BMIs actually have high body fat percentages when they are scanned. This is what is meant by "skinny fat." New studies have implied that it is actually better to be overweight and athletic than skinny fat, because typically the exercise reduces the deep body fat which is the most dangerous.

I am 5'5", 135 pounds, and aprox 15-17% body fat. If you focus on continually increasing your level of fitness you will see results and decreased body fat.
  • samlankford
    Options
    Height: 5'6
    Weight: 124
    Chest: 32
    Waist: 27
    Hips: 33
    Thigh: 18
    Calf: 12
    Upper arm: 11
    Body fat percentage: 12.45

clean eating, love to exercise, TRY to sleep for 5-6 hrs a night, drink lots of water... I do my best, if i want to eat some bad stuff every now and then I DO IT!!! if you don't allow yourself some "unhealthy food" every now and then you will go batty!! :bigsmile:
  • opuntia
    Options
    I think you have a couple options. You could either 1. Not worry about it, because you're clearly healthy and fit, 2. Repeat the test several times to see if you are getting consistent results, and/or 3. Have it measured in a more accurate way (if there is a trainer at your gym they probably have calipers).

Well, I am a bit worried, in case I have lots of hidden deep fat around my organs. Does anyone know how I would get rid of this sort of fat? I walk five miles a day and I go to the gym to do strength training three times a week. I generally eat healthily, but I do also like to eat crisps (potato chips). My lifestyle was a lot unhealthier a year ago, and had been for several years, so maybe I still have some fat around my organs from that?