Protein and weight loss

Options
Hi. I am new to this board and just did my first week weigh-in today. (3 pounds lost. YAY!) I have noticed that when I eat more protein during the day the scale seems to dip a little the next morning. I don't know if this is a coincidence or not, but I just thought I would ask. I am by no means doing a low carb diet at all. (Been there, done that.:)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    MFP sets protein really low, so you should always aim to go over your goal. Or manually change the % and increase protein.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Coincidence. Ingesting protein does not increase lipolysis.

Edited to add: If you are eating less carbs because of increasing protein, you may be dropping some water weight.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Eating higher protein helps you stay within your calorie goal more easily, and helps greatly with the munchies. If it is also replacing some of your carb calories, then you might lose some extra water weight. I agree that MFP sets protein percentages way too low at only 15%. Most people agree that 20-30% is much better.
  • brendaschoenbs
    Options
    Over the years one thing I've always found to be true for me personally is the more protein and fat the less I eat overall. I think that (for me) it's just more satisfying and sticks with me better. I'm also not on a "low carb" plan at all (at all) but for me a meal of eggs, some veggies, bacon and fruit of around 300 calories sticks with me a lot longer then oatmeal and fruit for the same calories does.

Hey, if it helps you see a dip and you are overall eating healthfully I say find your own sweet spot and work with it. I personally changed my mfp settings to 40/30/30 but trying to not to focus on it overly (aiming for perfection is my biggest downfall) and just focus on the actual calories for now.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Oh by the way, eating more protein and fats is better in the long run... not much your body actually needs carbs for...

Essential fats check, essential amino acids from protein check, essential carbs.. err wait there isn't anything essential from them is there :/ it just is in most everything... Not essential though...

Oh and protein requires a bigger digestive process to break down so actually yes... you burn more calories eating protein than fat or carbs... FYI...
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Yup my scale does the same. My theory is that hen i eat more protein i find. I drink more, so i may flush out more salt. Or it could be if i eat more protein i eat less carbs, so retain less water. Either way it always dips..
  • sspahn49
    sspahn49 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Plus, protein fills you up and you are not as hungry. I did WW and found that all the fruit I was eating stalled my weight loss. I increased protein and decreased carbs and it worked. Also, protein helps to rebuild the muscles if you are exercising.
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    I prefer protien to a certain point, because it keeps me feeling fuller longer. For snacks I prefer carbs (fruit) for the boost to glucose because I'm very sensitive to my blood sugar level; many diabetics in my family. Also, eating a carb snack before a cardio workout generally keeps me from feeling fatigued afterwards. Pre weight training snack is protien rich.