Anyone on a gluten free diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    After seeing the testimonies here and on GorillaEsq's post (I think the title is Gluten is the devil) I am going to try gf also. Hoping it will help my joint and muscle pains and some other symptoms others have talked about. Thanks to all who have posted their stories and to OP for this thread. Please update us on your progress. Oh, and there are some multi grain hot cereals that are gluten free and are quite delicious, but there aresome people (paleo/primal) who advocate greatly limiting or even eliminating grains for better health. I don't know if any of that is true, but it can't hurt to try an experiment. Best wishes to you for favorable results.
  • hdlb111
    hdlb111 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm GF, due to Celiacs. I had a horrible last few years before the doctors finally figured it out, but it was the culprit and everything else is slowly getting back to normal. I've been GF for about 3 months now. My original issue was that my iron and hemoglobin levels were rock bottom and no matter what we did (right down to iron IV infustions) the levels wouldn't go up. They finally moved, just a bit, after a month off gluten. Fingers crossed that they continue to go up. Then there were tons of little thing, mind fog, joint pain, extreme fatigue, bowel issues, crankiness/mood swings....the list goes on and on.

Going off gluten was a lot easier then I thought it would be, but my mom is also GF, and has been for ahwile, so that made it easier. There are lots of quinoa crackers and pastas, buckwheat, rice products (pastas, crackers etc) Its not going to taste the same, and the texture will be far different, but some of it is ok.

Check all your ingredient lists, most teriyaki and soy sauces have wheat, canned soups, gravy, some french fries and potato wedges.. the more you can make yourself at home the better. My daughter (we limit the gluten the kids eat) loves the Udi's bagels, as well as the Glutino pizza crusts. I dont' like them myself, but its just a texture issue. The taste is good.
  • angelasharp406
    Options
    I think this website could give you an idea about how to plan your weekly meals: http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_health/weight_loss_diet_plans/diet_meal_plans/7_day_gluten_free_meal_plan Also, if you're looking for a place where you can buy your gluten free products, I'd recommend checking out Gluten Free Palace. They keep plenty of gluten free products to choose from like gluten free baking mixes, cakes, breads, cookies, stuffing etc. Take a look. Good luck!

http://www.glutenfreepalace.com/Gluten-Free-Baking-Mixes-s/239.htm
  • snowmanluv
    snowmanluv Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Time to get a new doctor. Some chiropractors and naturalist doctors are better dealing with this.
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    When I went gluten free I found that steel cut oats that did not have flour added (instant oatmeals usually have added flour) and breakfast quinoa recipes were great alternatives to eggs and yogurt for breakfast. I loved making mini crustless quiches as a easy pre-made breakfast for busy mornings.

Personally I found lunches to be the hardest, some days its just not feasible to pack around leftovers/salads in your backpack at school. Which is why I stopped. I try to avoid bread but its hard to do on a college campus that barely serves more than sandwiches, burgers and fried crap.
  • Wantingtolose1
    Wantingtolose1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I've been gluten free for about a week now due to similar issues as you as we'll as very low iron levels. So far have not noticed much of a difference but we will see. I have however lost 3.5 kilos which I didn't have to lose as I'm trying to maintain my weight so that was an added bonus. I hope this is the answer for u