Why the heck do Ido this???

Options
I feel like I am constantly setting my self up for failure... I made cookies with my daughter (more healthy version then commercially purchased cookies) we had fun and the cookies are so awesome... i have eaten almost the entire batch! what the hell is wrong with me??

Replies

• kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hello and nothing is wrong with you! It's normal, believe me. It's hard to resist temptation when it's right in front of us. I made a cheesecake for my husband the other night and of course, I had to have some too! I just do better when I keep anything I don't need to eat OUT of the house lol. Don't beat yourself up, just dust yourself off and start with a clean slate today:) You can do it!!!
  • LuckyMe381
    LuckyMe381 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing...when I know it is something that i really like i have to keep it out of my reach, kind of like a kid.....i had bought a box of 100 calorie packs of pretzel covered in chocolate and thought i could only eat 1 pack a day....WRONG i ate the whole box yesterday....i wont buy those again...can't trust myself!!! Just get back on track and you will be ok
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Can't tell ya the number of things I have bought "for my daughter" that have ended up being gobbled by me... but the increasing numbers on the scale and tape measure and size tags tell the truth!!

Yesterday I baked some muffins - low-cal/low-fat but still not something I needed an entire dozen of... Made them to have when my bestie came over for coffee, and sent her home with 1/2 dozen to share with her family. I felt so much better giving them away than I would have if I'd kept them - 'cuz I would have eaten them all by last night......

Portion control & self-control are my biggest battles in this battle of the bulges.....
  • jdlyng
    jdlyng Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm guilty too. I thought this very same thought just last week when I made a pan of brownies for company that have a nice thick gooey caramel layer in them... my point, we lose our way- we get back up again. The important thing is that you know it's never too late to start again. Just know tomorrow is is a new day~ all the best to you!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It takes time to change your habits. I like to bake and when I started on MFP, I stopped baking for a while. I knew it would just be too much temptation. As I've got used to logging calories, I've got a lot better at resisting the things that don't fit into my goals. After a while I started baking again, and I allow myself to have a little of whatever it is. The rest, I share with my family, or give away, or freeze for another time. I also try to make things in smaller batches.

Learning portion control is invaluable, but while you are doing that, it might be worth not baking for a little while. I know that might be hard, especially if it's an activity you and your daughter enjoy sharing. Is there anything that she likes, but you don't, that you could bake together, that wouldn't be a temptation for you? Either that, or work out exactly how many would be eaten if everyone only had one or two, and cut down the size of the batch you make?
  • trixieflow
    trixieflow Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    ditto! just can't have it in the house. somehow my fav foods just don't fill me up - so i keep eating and eating.

anyway, i have a friend who will only allow lemon "treats" in her house because she does not like them but her family does. brilliant right?
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Friday and Saturday I had a food orgy with a bag of candy corn. The first bad day since I started a year ago. You are not alone.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Human nature makes us want the very thing we tell ourselves we can't have. Don't make it about 'eliminating' things, just reduce the amount. Convince yourself that having one or two cookies is such a luxury, and then you may not feels so tempted to eat them all. This is starting to work for me. I would eat half a bag of the halloween chocolate. Now, one or two satisfies me, because I didn't tell myself to stay away from them completely. Life is too short to not have the things we love!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people that needs instant gratification. Recently I bought a box of bakery chocolate chip cookies. I LOVE them!...and I knew I might be setting myself up. I had 2 of the cookies, put the rest in a freezer bag and put them in the freezer. I haven't touched them since because I would have to either let them thaw or put them in the microwave, which I don't like to do. Same thing with some mini cupcakes....they are in the freezer too. I think I have had 4 of the dozen so far. And they have both been in there for several weeks.

MODERATION. And the main way to do that is put the food in a position where its not immediately accessible. I use the freezer to do that. Not saying that will work for you but it does for me. I need to have a treat now and then. I cant live the rest of my life only eating chicken breasts, yogurt and veggies. Having a treat, believe it or not, keeps you on track. If you don't have SOMETHING a little naughty once in a while, you are more likely to fail completely and give up. Just my slant on it.
  • Cutie_browneyes2004
    Options
    I do the same thing! I agree to go to pizza with my friends and i think ok I'm going to have one slice of pizza and a salad that way i'm not eliminating something from my life that I love I am just limiting it.... Yeah i end up eating 3 big slices of pizza and some salad and probably a couple fried potatos plus drinking wine.... I love the taste of delicious food and I don't want to stop eating it and I love feeling all full and satisfied after a meal... but then the guilt sets in and I realize what I've done. Tomorrow is always a new day and I figure If I eat well most days and try to stay active those days that I do binge are not going to hit me as hard as they would have before I started watching my calorie intake on a daily basis.
  • CopperGalaxy
    CopperGalaxy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    As long as you exercise the calories off it's fine. Don't deny yourself treats!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I bought Halloween candy. I haven't eaten all of it, but probably close to half. I decided that trick or treaters can go *kitten* themselves. Lol. I just can't have that kind of stuff around me. It's pretty normal, I think. I mostly only buy healthy food, so when I'm hungry and want a snack the worst thing I have probably is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I just dont buy Cookies, ice cream, cereal, salty snacks, and that kind of thing.

And, no I can't wait until the day before or day of, it's all gone. There is literally no candy to buy anywhere. I have tried that before. It's gone from every store for miles around.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with you! I have to avoid baking altogether now. It's a shame, but I always end up eating too much of the finished product, so it's best to not make it in the first place.
  • tdotali
    tdotali Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    You're not abnormal - just human. Actually it's because we're animals. What animal says no to food when it's in front of them? It's in your instinct to eat especially delicious cookies cause the sugar and the fat does something to our brains.

I love baking, but I only do it when I know I can give most of my goods away, otherwise I will keep on going back for more. Outta sight, outta mind always works regarding junk food.
  • Troyeee
    Options
    I understand. If you looked in my kitchen, about all you will find are some box dinners and cans of soup. I can't keep stuff like that in the house. If I do buy a treat to bring home, it is the smallest size, like a single pint of ice cream. I can imagine it's harder when you have kids. I've been at this for a couple of months and have only just started seeing it on the scale in the last few weeks. I use this app on my phone, and have to be 100% honest with it. I also use Sports Tracker, also under the name of Troyeee, to track my walks. The walks are what is making the big difference. I feel much better, even though I've only dropped nine pounds. I can feel how much stronger I am and it's a good feeling. I find when I'm getting the urge to snack, that a piece of chewing gum like Big Red or Double Mint helps.