What old technologies do you remember?

Options

Replies

• OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    zenith-16z7c50z-console.jpg
    This was our first TV. Later we converted it into an aquarium.

haha - we were just talking about these yesterday and when it went out, it became the entertainment center for the new TV!

I miss atari - life was so simple with PONG
  • dwoodmanjr
    dwoodmanjr Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    so, I sit here at work decrying to teh heavens on the slowness of my computer in running a 5,000-live case through an actuarial software (it's been all of 3 minutes), and this thread actually reminded me that 25 years ago this same case would have taken all weekend on the mainframe my first employer had
  • dwoodmanjr
    dwoodmanjr Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    tthat should be "the heavens" and "5,000-life case" darn fingers won't listen to the brain (they just did it again with "the", but I caught it this time ;-)
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    This was how you found crap in the library before computers:
    Card-Catalog,-3,-detail-732013.JPG

AWESOME!! Sadly, if computers ever broke down, I'd be one of the last people in my generation to be able to find things.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    300px-Atari-2600-Wood-4Sw-Set.jpg

300px-Apple_II_tranparent_800.png

i still have my atari and when i was in grade school those were the computers we used till one day the school got a grant and we got computers that used 1.5 inch discs....lol
  • TXtstorm
    TXtstorm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I am old enough to remember ALL of the above. :blushing: :sad:
    Yes, me too!
    When I was in college, we used keypunch cards to program the computers. The hard drives were floor-to-ceiling models that had to be kept in a separate room where the room's temperature had to be constantly cool or the drives would overheat and shut down completely.

Umm, yes, well me too again, except that this was the way of my first fulltime job. I was a computer operator on an evening shift. We would run each evening's "batch" of processing from programs that were loaded to the mainframe computer off of card decks. New data was added to the system by inserting a HUGE stack of input cards into the middle of the program deck (the data cards were keyed by a pool of keypunch operators upstairs during the day). Lord forbid that we should drop a deck, because getting it back in order was a HUGE pain, and if done incorrectly would make the program blow up!

As far as the hard drives, yep, they were huge. We had a raised floor with special CAHU (cooling and heating units) that blew cold air under the floor and perfed tiles under/around the machines to cool them. Even further back than that I used to go to work with my dad occasionally on the weekends. In his data center not only did I play with the keypunch machines (I had memorized a simple program that would generate biorhythm charts on the wide greenbar paper... would type up my program cards and add data cards based on friends' names and birthdates!), I recall the huge, removable "cake cover" disk platters. They were stacks of hard disks contained inside plastic covers with twist locking handles... want to change data sets? Lock and lift out one stack and load another!
    0066.GIF

Good times, good times....
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    rabbit ears on top of the t.v.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    I remember using the "latest" technology when I typed up book reports on an electric typewriter after capturing notes on 3x5 cards at the library and hand writing the report. My typewriter was very advanced - complete with white correction tape that I thought was so much better than whiteout.

brotherl10.jpg

we still have one....it is outside in the garage in a large suitcase!!!!
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    01.jpg
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    WE had to use slide rules in high school still as calculators were just becoming available then. Had to ask my sweetie to type my essays on a manual typewriter unitl I finally was able to buy a $ 2000 MAcplus with a whopping 512 k internal memory, yep 512 K. I thought I had died and gone to heaven. WE had but 2 channels on TV and shows were only on for about 2 hours in the evening.
  • eml48341
    eml48341 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I can't even imagine doing this. Wasn't there an old movie based on that? Rock Hudson or something?

Monica
    [/quote]

Doris Day and Rock Hudson in Pillow Talk! The whole movie was about their connection from a shared phone line...basically Rock Hudson was the original man to use technology to create a false identity to trick a female lol
  • JDwashere
    JDwashere Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I remember using the "latest" technology when I typed up book reports on an electric typewriter after capturing notes on 3x5 cards at the library and hand writing the report. My typewriter was very advanced - complete with white correction tape that I thought was so much better than whiteout.

brotherl10.jpg

This is how I learned to type in high school...haha
  • hwold454
    Options
    I remember my first hard drive in my IBM clone 8088 PC. It was a Seagate ST-225, 20 MB. Cost me around $500. If I'm doing my math correctly, to equal my current 1TB drive, I would have to have approximately 50,000 ST-225's at a cost of $25 million.... How times have changed.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    :laugh: OMG, Westcoastphoe..I stil have my kids' Lite Brite! I suuure don;t miss stepping on those d#@! buggers, though!
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Load "*",8,1
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    i remember when the abacus first came out... my goodness, it was a revelation! you could add, simply by sliding markers along
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    OOh this is fun!

My mom (born 1933) said her father (born around 1858 or so) used to tell her stories of movies in their home when she was small. In his Irish brog he would tell her of boxes in their living room and they may even be able to HEAR them!!:noway:

Then when I was 11 we went to the police station. They brought us into this ice cold room, with floor to high ceiling 'computers' The police lady giving us the tour told us that one day we would hve one of these in our living rooms. Maybe even on a DESK :noway:

It was such a parallel to my mom's story.

My husband insisted on buy a Tandy from Radio Shack, our first computer. Unfortunately it was nothing more than a $1000 typwriter! Only my nephew could decode all the stuff and get us working again:laugh:

It is simply amazing that we went from no TV to me typing on a computer the size of my hand in 3 generations!!:drinker:
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    It is pretty funny to think that the first computers ran about 20K and today you can get one for under 1K. I hadn't considered the cost though of equaling what we have today.

Does anyone remember the first games - the ones where the computer would stay stuff like...

"You've entered a room. Do you go left or right?"

You'd type "Right" and then it would tell you something else that happens....

I remember one that was a horror story or something. It was something called a text adventure or hypertext adventure.

I remember one being "Leather Goddesses of Phobos" and there were others based on Hitchhikers Guide. They were sorta weird and entertaining. The screen would be black and you'd read and pick what you chose to do and then something would happen to you.

Monica
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    spirograph-super2.jpg

also, for old school games, Dan Gorlin's Choplifter (circa 1982) was state of the art for the Apple ][ when it came out.

Choplifter-2.png

it was very satisfying to land on the little hostages and squish them as i recall.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Oh you people are such mere infants. No TV. When I was 3 we had one. When I went to college mine was one of the first to have a computer science lab and computers at that time we almost as big as an entire room. My mom's house stilll has a rotary phone. Last year I trhew out an 8 track tape machine. My typewriter in high school was a black manual that had no letters or numbers on it. Only the privileged got to use the IBM electric ones. We had slide rules. too but there were no calculators for us to use. Ah , yes, we had to be able to use an encyclopedia. Students these days look at you as if you have 2 heads when you even say the word.