Running in the WIND

Options
Has anyone had to run (fun or race) in 20-30mph winds??? I have my first 5k later this afternoon and the forecast is calling for 20-30mph winds (with possible gusts up to 50mph). UGH!!!! Like I wasn't worried enough about just running the dang thing, now the thought of ridiculous winds is realllly not helping. :-( :-( :-(

Replies

• ambate2
    ambate2 Posts: 61
    Options
    anyone?
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    With any luck, the wind will be at your back the entire time.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I have had some recent training runs with wind gusts around 20+ It can make it more challenging depending on where you are running. Down a country road surrounded by farm fields it would be rough. Through a city surrounded by sky scrapers not so bad. Temperature plays a role too. 30 degrees with 3o mph winds dress in many layers. 70 degrees not so bad.
  • roundrunner
    roundrunner Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'd do it. May not finish as fast as you normally would, but it might be a fun & interesting experience. Something you can laugh about later. Plus, all the other runners will be in the same boat as you.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is going to help but do you know if the wind direction will be mostly to your back? It may sound funny but that should actually increase your speed slightly.

I actually prefer to run when it's at least slightly windy. It keeps me much cooler... but then again I always seem to be about to overheat on my runs.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    With any luck, the wind will be at your back the entire time.

And help blow you to the finish line.
  • ambate2
    Options
    I WISH it were at my back! It looks like it'll only really be at my back for about 1/4-1/2 mile just before the midway point. After that, we'll be running right into it or it'll be sweeping across the route. And, being that it's in the middle of BFE Idaho, yup, we'll have open fields around us. :-) It's a zombie chase and I'll be dressed up like a zombie. I guess the wind will help dry my sweat so my makeup won't run/smear so bad.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I ran through a lot of windy days last spring, around fields and on a rectangular course, so I was running with and against the wind throughout the course. It's challenging at times! Sunglasses definitely help with keeping blowing dust out of your eyes...got any zombie glasses? :tongue:

Other than that - yeah, the wind keeps you cooler, but running against it is definitely an added challenge!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i was going to suggest a hat and glasses too, just to stop stuff blowing into your eyes. running in the wind isn't so hard, and if there's a bunch of you think of it like playing in the wind when you were a kid. laugh about it- it can be fun. it's definately refreshing. and if conditions get too bad, they'll call the race off.

enjoy it and HAVE FUN!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I run in the wind all the time. I just call it natures resistance.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Have fun. A good thing to do is to do your training runs in all kinds of weather, hot, cold, rain, storms, snow and even hail (though hall stings a bit)
  • ambate2
    Options
    The wind sucked at times, but all in all, it wasn't too bad. I finished in 35:56 - my best time for 5k!
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    The wind sucked at times, but all in all, it wasn't too bad. I finished in 35:56 - my best time for 5k!

well done and I like the no excuses approach
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Best way to deal with wind: Find a bigger person to run behind.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

Great job!

I hate running in the wind... but the worst part is the sound it makes whistling in my ears, especially if I'm wearing ear buds. It's not as bad if I'm wearing a hat that covers my ears.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's a great run, wind or no wind! :wink: