Breast feeding...

Options
Anyone know how many calories are burned? I can't seem to find anything in the cardio/strength to input in my diary. I have my weightloss set at 1/2lb per week (just over 1500 cals) is this enough or should I be eating more?

Thanks!

Replies

• 86rollyb
    86rollyb Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you are exclusively bfing you should add 500. You can either add it under food (search breastfeeding - s/b -500 calories) or you can just override your calorie goal and add 500 :) I don't think 1500 is enough if u are exclusively bfing, i have my goal set to lose 1 lb and I eat around 1800 a day and have been losing :)
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    It's under the food diary settings under breastfeeding.
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Under the food settings :) I have experience with breastfeeding while losing weight and I'm beginning studying to become an IBCLC. You're welcome to add me. BFing moms should eat a minimum of 1700 calories in most cases. If you want to lose 1/2 pound a week, and MFP set you at 1500, you should eat about 1800-2000 calories a day. Hope that helps.
  • lisamariepickering
    Options
    According to shape.com:

"Plain and simple, breastfeeding burns calories! “Our bodies burn almost 20 calories to make just an ounce of breast milk. If your baby eats 19-30 ounces a day, that's anywhere between 380-600 calories burned,” says Joy Kosak, co-founder of Simple Wishes, a hands free pumping bra."

Here's the link to the whole article: http://www.shape.com/lifestyle/mind-and-body/perks-and-health-benefits-breastfeeding
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    As everyone else said, about 500 calories or approximately 20 calories per ounce produced. You don't want to fall below your allowance (plus the 500 calories you burn producing milk) or you could put your supply in jeopardy. Although, I noticed that if I ate a fair amount (2000-2200) and created more of a deficit through exercise, my milk was not affected.