I really need help balancing my diet.

Options
Hi, ive been doing mfp for a while now and it has been working (ive lost 34 lbs) but I want to be healthier.
I always seem to go way over on my carbs and under on protein and fat. Im trying to eat lots of fruit and veg, and eat wholemeal rice and pasta instead of white etc. can anyone help me out? Btw im a vegetarian but closer to a vegan.

Replies

• nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    You say you eat lots of fruit and veg - but your diary does not suggest that.

Add eggs, almonds, tofu,legumes. (assuming eggs are OK - you say you are close to vegan, but i see you eat cheese)

Cut down processed cereals, ready-made spring rolls, potato.
  • lauryn0392
    lauryn0392 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Well i say im having alot because i didnt each before and now im having about 5 servings.

I wont eat eggs, and i cant afford to buy nuts, and the cereal was a weekend treat and the rest of the time its weatbix.

Im trying to add chickpeas in, and i will try with the legumes.

Also what could i replace the potato with? I need to be full at uni or i cant concentrate.
  • lisamariepickering
    Options

Also what could i replace the potato with? I need to be full at uni or i cant concentrate.

Try a sweet potato instead. Large baked sweet potato = 180 calories plus lots of fiber. Large white baked potato = 290 calories.
  • nicleed
    Options
    I find if I eat a decent, filling breakfast, I don't get hungry again for a while. One of my current fave's is a whole meal English muffin grilled with homous, tomato, avocado and cheese. Yum!

Nuts can be expensive, agreed, but I buy a value pack at the local supermarket (about a kilo for $8 Australian) and when you only have 10-15 almonds a day, it lasts for ever.

Cereal is a lot of cals for little reward, in my opinion :) And while weetbix is "better" than the other stuff, it's still processed cereal.

even try veggie sticks with homous for lunch?
    (my husband is vegetarian, and I don't eat red meat, so I know how hard it can be to get the protein up! I am trying to drop back on carbs and up protein myself.)
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Pea Protein shakes. Vegan protein powder. Available on vitacost.com for pretty cheap.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    change your macros.
    1g per lb bodyweight protein (try to meet it but i know it will be hard, you may also have to google the minimum intake, 0.8g per lb will probably suffice)
    20%-25% fat
    fill the rest with carbs.

just avoid processed foods and eat lots of legumes and dairy free milk like oat and almond milk.
    dairy free protein shakes
    buy nuts when theyre reduced and on special. you dont need to avoid white potato but sweet potato in very nutrient rich. lots of fruit and veg. extra virgin olive oil. etc
  • lauryn0392
    Options
    Thanks for the advice :) nuts here are about $25 for a kilo value bag of almonds. Thats my whole shopping allowance haha. (i live in NZ)

We also only get white english muffins here. We dont get a lot of variety, even though im in a city.

Yeah hummus is a good idea, i love it :)
  • lauryn0392
    Options
    That would be great actually, thanks, lisamariepickering :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Waaaaay too low in protein. Would you eat Greek yoghurt? Cottage cheese? Fish?
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Yah most of the food is from your carbs, and I could be wrong but it looks like you might be having two servings of pasta or rice at once. What I would do is try to have a side of vegetables with your starches (I know pasta tastes so much better lol.) I saw that you are a vegetarian...aside from beans (amazing fiber and good protein) nuts also have pretty good protein and fat counts. Peanut butter is the best thing ever. I also do protein shakes because I left and I don't want my muscles to run away.

If you'd like more advice feel free to message me privately with any questions, I'll help as best I can. :)
  • nicleed
    Options
    Thanks for the advice :) nuts here are about $25 for a kilo value bag of almonds. Thats my whole shopping allowance haha. (i live in NZ)

We also only get white english muffins here. We dont get a lot of variety, even though im in a city.

Well, the only solution is to move across the ditch then :)
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Try quinoa. It's a complete protein. Which vegetarians are usually not getting enough of. Use it in place of rice or pasta. I use chicken or beef stock as the cooking liquid to give it some taste. I'm sure you could use a veggie stock.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Waaaaay too low in protein. Would you eat Greek yoghurt? Cottage cheese? Fish?

Fish is an animal. Real vegetarians, especially ones who are almost vegan, do not eat fish.
  • Marigenous
    Options
    One of my favourite meals to make is quinoa with a homemade pasta sauce (tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, courgette, aubergine, onions, garlic, carrot, mushrooms, chopped spinach, and bell peppers) and sliced eggs.
    Eggs can be cheap if you buy them on sale and buy quinoa in bulk. For produce, watch the clearance trolleys at your grocer's. They'll often reduce items to really cheap shortly before they go off. Just buy them then and immediately chop them up and freeze them when you get home.
    My recipe comes to 297 calories, 10g fat, 14g protein, 60% of your vitamin A, 166% of your vitamin C, and 12% of your calcium per serving. If you're interested you can message me and I can send you my exact ingredient list. It's really tasty (just tastes like pasta sauce) and a great way to pack more veggies into your diet.
    If quinoa is too expensive, try couscous. The protein amount in the quinoa is worth the bit more though.

This and similar articles may help: http://marathonsweetheart.com/2012/01/08/weekly-vegan-grocery-list-on-a-budget/

To save money, buy beans dried and then soak/cook them yourself. If you have a slowcooker, it's super easy too. Also, remember to complete your proteins with stuff like lentils or tahini.

Can you eat peanut butter? While it shouldn't be the main source of nutrition in your diet, it's inexpensive and tasty.
  • Marigenous
    Options
    Also, is there a reason that you aren't eating tofu or TVP? Here in Canada, it's only about $1.50/lb. Again, it shouldn't be the main source of protein in your life, but everything in moderation. Make stuff like miso soup with green onion, tofu, and seaweed. It's filling, low calorie, and pretty good for protein. Not great for salt, but we're young.