Anyone Else use a rice cooker?

Options
wordena
wordena Posts: 177 Member
I have a rice cooker. I have to admit I use it religiously, and not just to make rice. I've made stews, egg omelets, fried meats, pulled pork, and steamed everything. Anyone else loves their rice cooker as much as I do? It's like a fast version of a slow cooker. I generally just place whatever I want to cook in the pot and and come back in 20 minutes.
Got any good ideas to make recipes and foods in yours?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Huh...I only make rice! How do you do it?
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I had no idea you could do more than rice or quinoa...going to try out mac n cheese...if it's as creamy as they say, then I have an alternative for my kids favorite shells n cheese!

http://www.food.com/recipe/creamy-rice-cooker-macaroni-and-cheese-270800
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I also use mine several times a week, although I'm boring and don't have any particular recipes to contribute.

BUT, here's a cookbook for rice cookers..........

http://www.amazon.com/Rice-Cooker-Creations-Debra-Murray/dp/B0014TMNZG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1350773998&sr=8-3&keywords=wolfgang+puck+rice+cooker
  • wordena
    Options
    I literally do use it like a slow cooker. I have one of the simple ones. Not an expensive machine. I've made rice pudding in it recently. Was delicious. Same goes for applesauce. I essentially see it as a temperature controled pan or pot. I've even heard of people making cakes and bread in theirs, though I haven't done it. I see the rice maker as one of my most important kitchen tools because I can walk away from it at anytime and not worry about something bubbling over or burning. It also has really cut down on my dishes. Just one pot plus the steaming tray.
  • wordena
    Options
    i also make ramen in it quite often when I'm feeling lazy. And add vegetables on the top tray, which get cooked in the flavored broth.
  • priesterse
    priesterse Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I use mine for quick weeknight dinners. Take frozen dumplings, shumai, etc (pre-cooked) and put them in the steamer basket, put rice in the cooker and let it go. Then I'll sometimes steam up some veggies on the stove while the rest of it is finishing cooking.
  • bananabrownie
    Options
    I use a rice cooker! Well I used to. And then some drunk retard decided to cook whiskey in there >.> now everything tastes like alcohol!

I loved using it for curries, stews and porridge though! So good :)
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I was looking at buying one.. any suggestions for a small one?
  • PaprikaPrincess
    PaprikaPrincess Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Big lots regularly has small rice cookers for $11-$14.
    I make rice a lot.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Yes, her name is Jennifer.
  • sapphireswi
    sapphireswi Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Rice and rice
    Momos and wantons
    Steamed vegies for salads
    Plantain leaf wrapped goodies
    Steamed idli's

I:heart: my rice cooker!
  • JJeMitchell
    JJeMitchell Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've never made anything else except rice, but I use the Lundburg (gluten free) wild rice mix with Trader Joe's low sodium chicken broth. It's delicious!!!!!
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Bump! I want a rice cooker! :drinker: