Processed Food/Natural Food/Organic Food

Options
I have been seeing posts on here regarding natural food vs processed food. Naturally the natural food or organic food is healthier for you. There are some processed foods that do have some nutritional value like Lean Cuisine,Healthy Choice etc. Natural food and organic food aren't always healthy either when you consider the pesticides used. The reason all of us are on this site is to lose weight. That is healthy in itself. There are people on this board who do not like to cook because it might be only themselves at home and they don't want to cook for just one person or any other reasons someone might have. I have also heard people say that eating natural food costs less than processed. That is not really true. The paleo diet is based on the foods that you can catch, hunt,,dig up or gather. Some of those foods can be quite expensive. I guess what I am trying to say is that however you take the weight off you are getting healthier just by shedding those extra pound that we are carrying around.:smile:

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I have been seeing posts on here regarding natural food vs processed food. Naturally the natural food or organic food is healthier for you. There are some processed foods that do have some nutritional value like Lean Cuisine,Healthy Choice etc. Natural food and organic food aren't always healthy either when you consider the pesticides used. The reason all of us are on this site is to lose weight. That is healthy in itself. There are people on this board who do not like to cook because it might be only themselves at home and they don't want to cook for just one person or any other reasons someone might have. I have also heard people say that eating natural food costs less than processed. That is not really true. The paleo diet is based on the foods that you can catch, hunt,,dig up or gather. Some of those foods can be quite expensive. I guess what I am trying to say is that however you take the weight off you are getting healthier just by shedding those extra pound that we are carrying around.:smile:
    Just because a farmer used pesticide doesn't make it unnatural. I guess the closest would be GMO foods but I don't have a problem eating those. There can be an ethical opposition to them, or a financial one (as adjacent farmers can have a problem).

I grow my own veggies as much as possible because it becomes more local and fresh.
    I can't raise and slaughter my own livestock as the bylaws don't permit it and like most people in cities/suburbs it doesn't make sense. I work to benefit society and so do farmers. The most economical thing right now is for them to husband the animals.
    I don't press my own oil either...
    Most food is natural and then processed. I try to cut out the middle man when possible, but then, my family always has.
    I pickle and can lots of stuff, etc....
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    The main problem with processed foods is that they are often full of sodium and lacking in nutrients. If you must eat processed foods either because of financial constraints or living alone, you should take a multivitamin, at least, to make sure that you get nutrients.

As far as living alone and cooking, I live alone, but I cook on the weekends and keep enough in the fridge and freezer so that I can warm stuff up when I get home from work, altho I usually cook fresh or frozen vegetables each night to go with whatever meat I heated up. Or I make homemade soup or chili with vegetables as part of the recipe.

Certainly the weight loss is important, but if you don't do it the right way, chances are you will gain the weight back. I speak from experience. The more processed foods I eat, the less careful I am about taking care of myself, the more likely I am to have to do this all over again.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I guess what I am trying to say is that however you take the weight off you are getting healthier just by shedding those extra pound that we are carrying around.

:smile:
  • susantrigg18
    Options
    Heres my experience so far...

switched to "clean eating" 4 weeks ago today, buy mostly organic fruit & veg when available...have cut out ALL processed foods & not only have i lost weight & inches, but i feel FANTASTIC! No more bloating, heartburn or reflux & am sleeping much better.

I often cook for 1 as my hubby works away for 2 weeks at a time & yes, it takes a little bit of prep because youre preparing everything from scratch, but the key is organisation...it doesnt take long to get into a routine.

Diets, in my opinion, arent the answer...sure you may see results in the short term, but inevitably, most people gain it back & sometimes more. I personally think the key to successful & healthy weightloss is a lifestyle change...re educating our brains to make healthy choices, rather than go for the "quick fix" & regular exercise. Its a marathon, not a sprint! Thats my 2 cents worth anyway :D
    28796378.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • luvsbks
    luvsbks Posts: 51
    Options
    If anyone is interested about losing weight there is a book titled Shape Up the 8 week program to transform your body, your health and your life by Jonny Bowden M.A.,C.N.S It helped me when I first started to lose weight and it goes into some of the stuff I mentioned in my original post. It is a lifestyle change. I do refer back to it from time to time. It takes into account personal factors such as commitment,self-esteem and metabolic type along with other things.
  • luvsbks
    luvsbks Posts: 51
    Options
    Quote:
    Just because a farmer used pesticide doesn't make it unnatural. I guess the closest would be GMO foods but I don't have a problem eating those. There can be an ethical opposition to them, or a financial one (as adjacent farmers can have a problem).

I didn't say that using pesticides makes a food unnatural, however pesticides can be harmful
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Quote:

I didn't say that using pesticides makes a food unnatural, however pesticides can be harmful
    Yup. Especilally if you drink them straight. I suggest using a mixer at least.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Quote:

Yup. Especilally if you drink them straight. I suggest using a mixer at least.

A chaser might work. ;)