Does drinking water makes you lose weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• cfregon
    cfregon Posts: 147
    Options
    I agree with the posts above re: dehydration is often confused for hunger, water replacing other drinks is often helpful when watching intake, etc. But yeah, water doesn't directly help in weight loss...There are many benefits though. Once I started drinking more water (my goal is half my body weight in ounces each day) my skin cleared up significantly, I had more energy, my hair got softer, all kinds of things. When you get enough water, your body runs much better. The system is more smooth and efficient. If you don't drink enough you're body has to sacrifice water usage in some areas for more vital systems. it's better to error on the side of caution and drink more than not enough.
  • CristyMusicLovr
    CristyMusicLovr Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Its 8 Cups! not glasses! I drink 12 cups of water a day.
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    No one has mentioned that if you are not an avid water drinker and you bloat easily, drinking water can flush you out which would make you not bloated and weigh less. My face, hands and legs hold water. If I gain a couple of pounds, I know I am not drinking enough water and up my water intake and I lose the weight in a couple of days. My face thins out, and I don't look so bloated and my skin looks much better.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You will gain approximately 1 lb for every pint of water you consume.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Drinking water helps with weight loss for a number of reasons. Here are a few:

- Often when we think we are hungry, we are actually thirsty... this happens to me a lot. So, when I think I'm hungry I try to drink 16oz water, then wait a few minutes, and see if I still feel hungry or if it was thirst

- Water will fill up your stomach a bit, which can help stave off feelings of hunger for a little while, though in my experience if I'm truly hungry it only staves of the hunger briefly

- For many of us, one of our big issues with eating is that we crave the act of eating - the act of consuming something. Drinking water can help meet that oral fixation to some extent. I find that if I add a little lemon juice it is much more satisfying!

- Our bodies NEED water. It's incredibly important to drink water just for proper functioning of our bodies.

Note: some people say to drink 64oz of water a day. Here's what I've been finding in my research... the "64oz" figure is based on a 128lb, minimally active person. You should drink half of your (pounds) weight in ounces of water - for example, if I weight 140lb, I should drink a minimum of 70oz of water a day. But, that's the minimum, based on little activity. If you're working out, by all means drink more!

Drinking lots of water is rarely dangerous. Some people will point out the "dangers of over-hydration" such as electrolyte imbalance and even heart attack... here's the thing on that. That's not going to happen if you're drinking 64oz of water a day. it won't happen if you drink 164oz of water a day. You MIGHT put yourself in danger if you, when incredibly thirsty (such as at boot camp after being forced to workout in hot hot weather for hours on end) you rapidly gulp several gallons of water. But seriously, how many of us are in that kind of situation? If you are in that kind of situation, and feel like gulping gallons of water, stop and think about drinking a few glasses of water, and some coconut water (lots of electrolytes) or have a banana, or something with salt (yup, salt is an electrolyte!), and pace your water consumption over several minutes.

Honestly though, for most of us on here, drink that water up! Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Add a little lemon to make it more palatable - a little lemon never hurt anyone! It's good for our bodies in general, and our weight loss specifically (not to mention our complexions - they also benefit!) to drink lots of water. Sooo... bottoms up!

I also agree with her. they say ur brain can swell and kill you if u drink to much water. It has happened but only to the people that force themselves to keep drinking as much as they can all at once to see what happens there mistake.

No, not necessarily. My friend eats a "clean" diet and keeps her sodium lower. She also is a big proponent of drinking water and drinks water throughout the day. She ended up at the doctor's office with an electrolyte imbalance because of low sodium and high water intake, and she was not forcing herself to drink.
    There are many here who also watch their sodium so this isn't necessarily an uncommon situation.
    There is no reason to go insane about large amounts of water (and yes, I do drink a lot of water myself). It is literally cups, as in 8 ounces, not huge glasses that is recommended.
    Drink so you have a pale yellow urine.
    (I won't get into the water vs other liquids debate but other liquids count too)
  • cfregon
    cfregon Posts: 147
    Options
    when it says 8 glasses a day it means glasses. no cups. most large glasses hold 2.5 cups of water. so in reality you should drink 18 cups of water a day.
    It sounds like alot but its very easy.
    I buy the 50 cent waters at walmart it holds 3 cups with sports top. drink it all on my break refill and drink threw day then refill it about 5 more times at home till bed time. i use sugar free hawian punch makes the whole bottle tasting good. only 10 calories a bottle . So only 80 calories all day for 24 cups of water. not to bad right? u drink it so fast it taste so good u dont notice

PS: Drinking a full bottle every 30 min like i do sometimes will make you pee lierally evey 30 min lol

If I were drinking that much water per day I'd be worried (unless I was working a major manual labor job). Lots of water is good, but if you're craving that much it can be an early warning sign of diabetes. But craving water, and drinking it intentionally to get to a goal, or to re-hydrate due to sweat, etc. are completely different. I have seen a study or two that also notes that you can make your kidneys work too hard if you drink too little, or obscene amounts of water.
  • tracypk
    tracypk Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Does beer count?
  • citygirl04
    citygirl04 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Does beer count?

Only if you're buying. lol