calorie counter for exercise??

Options
Is there anything you can buy that tracks how many calories you're burning as your workout--similar to a pedometer, I guess?? I go to a zumba class, and online I've found you can burn anywhere from 500-1000 calories. That's a HUGE difference, and I honestly don't think I'm burning 500 but I could be wrong. I'd really like to know exactly how much I'm burning. Any suggestions???
Thanks!:bigsmile:

Replies

• bbear
    bbear Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    They sell heart rate monitors that you wear on your arm that will help calculate calories that you burn. One such machine is the body bug (as seen on biggest loser). Any sporting goods/fitness store should carry something like this. Good luck!
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Zumbia is no way 1,000 calories. 400 would be a better estimate.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor with a chest strap (Polar F6) is the best way to go. If a HRM doesn't have a chest strap, it's not as accurate.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Do your research on them before you buy! Like anything else, there are good ones and not so good ones out there! Polar F series are good ones, but they cost from $80 on up! Do a google search for "heart rate monitor reviews" and that will pull up a lot of discussion on them!

Good luck!
  • ambergirl
    Options
    The Heart Rate Monitors that strap to your chest are best but expensive, if you just get the wrist one it pretty accurate because it lets you put in your age and weight and then tracks your heart rate so it should be accurate. If you are heavier you will burn more during Zumba, if you are small and have a low body fat % you will burn less. They have good basic one's at Wal Mart for $27
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Zumbia is no way 1,000 calories. 400 would be a better estimate.

How many calories you burn depends on a lot of factor as an individual. I wouldn't say that there's no way someone couldn't burn 1000 calories... I have a heart rate monitor and every workout I top 900 calories easy! and yes... it's set to my specific settings! It IS possible!

HRM... are the only way to get an accurate count... I got mine for $45 at Big 5 Sporting Goods... check around for deals... sometimes you can catch a sale... like I did!
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    I have the Polar F6 (around $90 from Amazon) and I love it! Very user-friendly and motivating to see the calories tick away.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar F7, which is a more user friendly version of the F6. I paid $100 for it on amazon.com
    There really is no substitution for a great HRM!
  • jamieg66
    jamieg66 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use the Nike chip in my shoe. It's calibrated for me, and tells me calories no matter what I'm doing.
  • Twinmom413
    Twinmom413 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    THANKS to everyone for your input!! Looks like I'll be shopping for a Heart rate monitor!! :bigsmile:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Everyone pushed Polar HRMs but you don't have to spend all that money. I have a reebox XT, it was $40.00 and it does everything the polar does. Works like a dream.....super easy to use.

I would stress spending the $$ to make sure you get a HRM with a chest strap. They are WAAAAY more accurate than the wrist only models. I wouldn't waste any $$ on those because they're just as accurate as the machines......which aren't accurate at all! :tongue: