in-between clothes shopping

Options
Hi ladies,
Now that I am about two sizes smaller, but not to goal yet, I am needing smaller clothes. Oh darn:wink: Anyway, since I have a ways to go, I don't want to spend too much money on clothes that I hope will also be too big in the near future. I work in an office, so like to dress kind of nice. I was wondering what others have done while on this weight loss journey.

Replies

• Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love Goodwill...it takes some time and patience though. OR

Edit: Also, make friends with a tailor ....good ones can do magic. OR

Find friends that you can swap with. OR

Just buy a few pieces.
  • justamyagain
    justamyagain Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have bought stuff on ebay periodically as I have become smaller :). I am almost at goal and then watch out!
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Goodwill or consignment shops. Also, do you have a 'Gordman's' where you live? They have some nice dressy slacks etc priced nicely then you could donate to a church thrift shop, goodwill, or a consignment shop.
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Goodwil here also, just bought a fabulous suit at my local Goodwill a couple weeks ago and stop in whenever my pants size changes. I've shopped ebay in the past as well, but I recommend shopping for brands you are familiar with and sizes you know will fit in those brands
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    honestly, I still have some clothes the next size down but after that I hope it is Spring and I can wear some cute NEW Spring dresses.
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    find a good tailor
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Thrift shops...i found lucky brand jeans...YES!

and TJMAXX if you have it...designer stuff and then the clearance on top..woot

was an 18, now in a 12...so it could be expensive if you dont watch..

and i agree with a tailor...you can wear some fabulous dress pants longer if they take in the waist...5 bucks...boom
  • rcolours7
    Options
    clearance sales and buy 2 or 3 pairs of nice pants, 2 pairs of jeans. then buy enough blouses/sweaters that you can mix-match well. this way, you're only spending a @$200 on clothing.

definitely like the consignment idea - never done it.

also, w/buying new from a store - it feels like a real treat for the work you've done so far & helps keep you motivated. also, don't know how long you will be at your current size b/f u drop another size or two.

keep up the great work you've got going.
  • davidlbass
    davidlbass Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    We have a place called Savers that carries a lot of used clothing. Similar to Goodwill which is good too.
  • cuffs_r
    cuffs_r Posts: 41
    Options
    Goodwill is the greatest, I went from an 18 down to a 10 now, and still have a ways to go. I love being able to buy clothes for a low price and not feel guilty and recycle my others. Good luck and happy clothes hunting!:happy:
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Target, TJMaxx, Kohls, Ross, Marshalls. Thrift shops! Outlets.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    Just buy a few simple pieces of clothes, like a couple pairs of jeans or pants. Good will is a good place
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    this has strangely enough been the bane of my weight loss journey. I work at Schlotzsky's and I also work as a sales associate at Ulta Beauty and both places require black dress pants. I bought a pair of black pants about 3 weeks ago that were almost skin tight (i did this on purpose so I could keep them even as I lost more weight) and now they are getting so baggy I constantly catch myself pulling them up at work.

It's frustrating to spend good money on things and not have them fit a month later. I suggest buying items either with a lot of stretch so they can accommodate a range of sizes, or buying things just barely too small so you can grow into them. Or you can purchase things on super super clearance (like my blazer in profile pic, $7.49 at Ross to replace the once i bought at forever 21 for $30 that is now too big and can be seen in my other photos with a green and black dress). Second hand shops are not a bad option either!
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Definitely Goodwill, or other thrift stores. Places like TJ Maxx, or Marshall's, or Nordstrom Rack aren't quite as cheap, but you can find some nicer stuff usually. Trade with friends if you have any who are on a similar journey. Clearance sales at department stores. It can take a lot of work to keep up with the size you need. I started at a 26-28 and am at 14-16 now, and still have a ways to go. It's frustrating, especially when you've had to get rid of clothing you *love*. :/ Bittersweet, of course, because it's a *good* thing....
  • bigsisterdice
    Options
    Salvation Army and Goodwill - I pretty much never shop anywhere else unless we stumble on a super clearance somewhere! You can find AMAZING clothes, often still with the tags on, for a fraction of the cost, and the proceeds go to the charity work that they run, not just to some rich snob who can't get enough money even though they will never need it all.
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Second hansd stores for sure, and "hand me ups" from my daughter (who was also dieting)
  • cutiepie2628
    cutiepie2628 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love Goodwill...it takes some time and patience though. OR

Edit: Also, make friends with a tailor ....good ones can do magic. OR

Find friends that you can swap with. OR

Just buy a few pieces.

I second this... great place for clothes...
  • pixish
    pixish Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky at the moment - I'm very slowly dropping out of some of my clothes...I used to only really buy stuff with elastic waists so I guess that helps them with being wearable for longer? I still have a few items of clothing that I'd been saving for 'when I lose weight' as well and I've been able to wear a couple of those things though I know a lot more people have more discipline when it comes to being realistic about their wardrobes :p
    Otherwise, as you get smaller, I think it gets easier to find things in the second hand stores :)
  • Marie294
    Marie294 Posts: 304
    Options
    Clearance racks! Might be slightly out of season, but always worth checking out. Sometimes you can get clothing from the clearance racks in really nice stores for less than you can get clothing for in walmart. (Not always, but worth looking! Last winter I bought an $89 Cashmere sweater by Lands End for $6 on the clearance rack.)
  • lionskitty
    lionskitty Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I bought cheap basics, you'd be surprised what you can get at old navy or walmart. I like the George stuff at walmart, most people can't believe that's where I got it. I was faced with that problem, less than halfway to my goal I was 2 sizes down and couldn't keep my pants up. I got just enough to get through the week :D
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!