do you lose weight when you eat exercise calories back

Options
13»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Its in my tdee calculations... and since i prefer to lose fat and not muscle i fuel myself with 2600-2800 calories a day which is a 20% deficit below my tdee.

And P.S, jealous! I get 1340 cals a day...doesn't give me much room to slip up!

If you exercise consistently, you can eat more than that. Especially with as little weight you need to lose.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The law of conservation of energy is an inescapable law of nature. It ensures that if you burn off exactly x calories, then consume and metaboize exactly x calories, your weight will not change. However, as you convert fat into muscle, the muscle is metabolic and will burn more calories than fat even when you're not excercising. This gives many people the perception that they are losing weight even though they are replacing the calories indicated by a fitness machine. The overall result is good (assuming one is trying to lose weight).

I would like to point out, it is impossible to convert fat into muscle. It is also, almost virtually impossible to gain new lean body mass while cutting fat.

But I will note, if you don't feed your body, your body will feed itself by taking the amino acids in your muscles to create energy. This means, you lose muscle if you don't eat enough. Now, I will note, it is normal to lose some lean body mass throughout your weight loss journey, but you want to minimize it (as noted in the below thread).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/729141-exercise-calories-to-eat-or-not-to-eat-results?hl=to+eat+or+not+to+eat
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    It depends. If I eat every meal at home so I can measure and weight, then yes, I eat a portion back. If I am eating out 1-3 meals a day, generally, no as I am estimating!

I would suggest adding 50-100 calories a day of the exercise calories to see how it works for you. We are all different.
  • klwells08
    klwells08 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Absolutely eat my exercise calories back. That being said, I use a HRM to estimate my calorie burn versus MFP. I found MFP to estimate the burn too high.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,698 Member
    Options
    I eat all of mine back, and am nonetheless losing at my target rate of 1.5 pounds a week. I've lost 8 kg in 11 weeks. That said, you need to be careful about estimating burn rates. I use an elliptical trainer for cardio work, and the machine typically says I burn 500-700 per hour depending on my speed. The MFP database gives 1000+ for the hour, which I override with the machine reading. I wouldn't be losing if I didn't.
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Two things I wish to say:

1. I exercised, but never broke into a sweat (it's all just walking, cleaning etc). There are many people who look down on people who log stuff like cleaning or walking down to the bus stop, but I was moving more than I would if I didn't do that!
    2. I ate back many of those calories - to be fair, I only logged them when I needed them if I wanted to have some wine. (So no, I didn't eat them back to have fruit and veggies and healthy stuff, it was mostly so that I could have wine or beer or a chocolate).

It worked for me - I consistently lost weight every week.

(I have to add lastly, that I still looked at my total food intake and made sure it never went over my maintenance calories - but at no point was there a week where I only maintained - and if there was, my body made up for it the next week by dropping around double).
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I had my activity set to lightly active, logged exercise, ate most of my calories back, and on average, lost exactly what my weekly goal was set to. When I was aiming for one pound a week, that's what I lost. When aiming for a half pound a week, that's what I lost.

There was some variations because weight loss is never linear. Some weeks I'd lose more, some less, some none at all, sometimes I'd even show a slight gain. But averaged over time... right on schedule.
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have my activity set to sedentary and only log actual exercise. I normally eat most earned exercise calories back. I've lost 37lb since April
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I usually eat about half of mine back and try to leave 300-400 at the end of my day for mistakes that I have made...underestimating food calories (when I don't have my scale handy) or overestimating exercise calories. I have lost fairly steadily. I find that I can't function with only 1200 per day when I exercise between 60-90 minutes. I usually end up anywhere between 1400-1600 in food before exercise factors in.
  • mle58
    mle58 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My workouts range from 400 to 800 calorie workouts...so for each workout I only consume an additional 150 calories the rest i consider a faster way tolose weight. The 150 healthy calorie snack 30 mins after the workout gives me the energy i need to reenergize and keeps me full until the next meal. I do lose weight by doing this about 1.5 pound a week.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Yes. I put myself as sedentary, log my exercise, and eat most of it back - all of it if I'm hungry. I've lost steadily and have gained muscle. If I did more heavy lifting, I'd have lost the same, but have more muscle - which, frankly, would have been better.
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It worked for me and continues to do so while I am in maintenance - I lost 99lbs and since then have been maintaining since May- in fact I have inadvertently lost a bit extra weight since starting maintainance.