Replies

• nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    cruel summer!
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Psych Furs, Echo & the Bunnymen, Love & Rockets, New Order, U2, The Cure, the English Beat, Duran Duran, Flock of Seagulls, Simple Minds, XTC, Modern English, Icicleworks, Soft Cell, Berlin, Talk Talk, the Smiths, OMD, PiL, Wall of Voodoo, Oingo Boingo, Big Country, Pere Ubu, Big Audio Dynamite... these are the bands i think of when i think of great 80's music.

Nice list, but seriously lose the U2 and the Duran Duran... too commercial and kinda uncool :tongue: :wink:

U2 now is commercial. U2 in the 80's was not. Boy. War. October. Unforgettable Fire. Under a Blood Red Sky. those albums helped define the early-to-mid 80's. with Joshua Tree, U2 became a different band. still good music, but they got too popular for me. all versions of U2 in the 90's, 00's, and 10's are a completely different band than they were earlier in their careers.

Duran Duran also helped define the 80's. Rio was a good album. i wasn't a huge fan, but when i think of the 80's, they had a big impact.

of course, i also listed to some ska and punk back then, but i didn't list them because the 80's are mostly about new wave in my memory.