Pre / Post Workout Food

Options
What does everyone typically eat before and / or after a workout?

I always like to have something in my belly before working out and I am always starving afterwards but unsure on what to eat that will be filling but healthy.

Any and all ideas welcome! :smile:

Replies

• LynxC
    LynxC Posts: 4
    Options
    I know protein shakes aren't the best, but I basically reserve them for after my work-outs, considering that's when my metabolism is highest. I also like to eat bananas afterwards! Right now, though, my favorite snack is a small green apple with a tablespoon of peanut butter. Much more filling than it sounds.
  • Rombus19
    Rombus19 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    For a pre workout I Take Vega Sports Pre-Workout Energizer, I recommend Acai berry, the lemon lime tastes like plants
    As for a post workout I take a whey protien shake
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    On weekdays, I'll have a Larabar in between work and my workout, because I'm usually hungry by then, and they are really simple and easy to digest, and have a lot of protein. After my workout I'll have a whey protein shake. On the weekends, I'll usually workout after breakfast, then same for after workout.
  • Fat_Cat_Bride
    Fat_Cat_Bride Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What are these whey protein shakes that you all keep mentioning?

Call me stupid but I'm new to all of this diet / exercise stuff and still working it all out.

I read somewhere that there are two protein shakes, one for losing weight and one for gaining muscle, is that true?!?

Obviously I don't want to bulk up!! lol
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning. I usually have coffee, and a banana or a piece of bread with peanut butter on it. Then I have a protein shake (or a protein chocolate milk as I call it) afterwards.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    What are these whey protein shakes that you all keep mentioning?

Call me stupid but I'm new to all of this diet / exercise stuff and still working it all out.

I read somewhere that there are two protein shakes, one for losing weight and one for gaining muscle, is that true?!?

Obviously I don't want to bulk up!! lol

I use whey protein. Some people use cassein? I know there are other types... I buy it off of amazon, but places like GNC sell tons fof it. You can get cheap stuff at walmart and grocery stores, too. if you are not trying to gain muscle then I probably wouldn't worry about a protein shake. You can get plenty of protein through just your diet alone. I am trying to gain muscle so I like to get as much protein as i can.
  • mc6200run
    Options
    2% Fat Free Chocolate Mik. It has the perfect carb to protein ratio for post work out recovery. Yes, you can drink chocolate milk !
  • Rombus19
    Rombus19 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    There are two types of protein, whey and casein. Whey is a quick dissolving protein, best used after workouts, casein is slow dissolving, best taken before bed, or instead of a meal when you know you're not going to be eating for a while.

Here's a good article on the two
    http://www.nutritionexpress.com/showarticle.aspx?articleid=787
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Steak and sweet potatoes. Omnomnom.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    My go-to workout "snack" after lifting:

1 scoop Blubonnet chocolate whey protein isolate
    1 Yoplait Light yogurt (usually blueberry or strawberry)
    ½ cup unsweetened almond milk or 1% milk
    1 tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips

Everything gets blended in my Ninja. I sip contentedly.
  • Fat_Cat_Bride
    Fat_Cat_Bride Posts: 16 Member
    Options

Interesting read, thanks for posting!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    There are two types of protein, whey and casein. Whey is a quick dissolving protein, best used after workouts, casein is slow dissolving, best taken before bed, or instead of a meal when you know you're not going to be eating for a while.

Here's a good article on the two
    http://www.nutritionexpress.com/showarticle.aspx?articleid=787

There are actually several different types of protein shakes. Whey, casein, and soy are the most common.

For gaining weight you would want a mass gainer, instead of a normal protein shake. Protein shakes can be used very well for weight loss, as well as muscle gain.

I may be mistaken, but whey comes naturally in certain foods, so does casein. I believe cottage cheese is a good source of casein protein.

For pre-workout, I usually use oatmeal, with either eggs, or a chocolate whey protein shake with peanut butter in it. For post workout, my favorite is a spinach protein shake with banana in it.
  • sarahisme18
    Options
    I drink a protein shake to try and get more protein, since I follow a vegetarian diet—and because I want to recover well from my workouts and try not to lose much lean muscle along with the fat. I think it would be pretty difficult to bulk up unless you were trying to do it on purpose. :laugh: Takes a LOT of hard work and effort, over months or years.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    since i work out 3 hours on the dot after breakfast... my pre-workout meal is
    2 waffles, one apple, cottage cheese and jam, and green tea

after workout i dont eat until dinner which is usually some form of chicken/veggies, banana, apple, and prunes

then later i have my snack :D whcih also involves cottage cheese.. good source of protein and low cal!
  • sarahisme18
    Options
    My go-to workout "snack" after lifting:

1 scoop Blubonnet chocolate whey protein isolate
    1 Yoplait Light yogurt (usually blueberry or strawberry)
    ½ cup unsweetened almond milk or 1% milk
    1 tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips

Everything gets blended in my Ninja. I sip contentedly.

Yummmmmm!
  • Nix_
    Nix_ Posts: 94
    Options
    Pre workout
    I make protein muffins, or protein bar

Post workout
    Protein Shake