Weight lifting question.

Options
So, I started doing weight training last week. I've only done two days so far, along with cardio, but I'm following a program and definitely felt it afterwards. The soreness and such that I expected.

My question/concern is that I weighed myself today, and it seems as though I've not gained or lost anything this week. For the past 6 weeks I've lost 2-4 pounds each week. Is it the weight training? I remember reading somewhere that your muscles can retain water or something while healing, but I'm not sure how long that is supposed to last.

Replies

• Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    When I started NROL4W I was also doing cardio, and I didn't see the scale budge in any direction but up and down with the same 3 pounds for the first three weeks. Then it started getting back to the lower side of what I weighed before starting. That's where I am now, it's only been 3-4 weeks. I can definitely feel new muscle where there didn't used to be any. I am trying to not care about the number on the scale.
  • switch313
    switch313 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When I started lifting weights my weight stalled for three weeks then started to drop again after, at times fairly quick (I weigh every other week or longer because I don't like seeing the fluctuation). It is water retention as far as I know - I don't know the science behind it though, I'm sure someone will chime in with it. Also, I know glycogen replenishment might cause that too - I remember that floated around somewhere too - but that might have more to do endurance cardio.. maybe?
  • 305muscle
    305muscle Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    the past 6 weeks you lost water weight which is veryyy easy to lose once you start any exercise program now its when the going gets tough weight training will help burn more calories therefore lose weight unless you are trying to build muscle and consume the calories and protein needed for this i say you lost the water weight now you will start shreddin the fat
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    the past 6 weeks you lost water weight which is veryyy easy to lose once you start any exercise program now its when the going gets tough weight training will help burn more calories therefore lose weight unless you are trying to build muscle and consume the calories and protein needed for this i say you lost the water weight now you will start shreddin the fat

This.
  • thomasxaviersayles
    Options
    You could be at a plateau, your body is getting used to your weight lifting and to push through this phase you must change how you are lifting, you could start what is called super slow reps and with that you lower the weight you are lifting and use a eight to ten count up and down. You will find it is very difficult to do very many reps. Also make sure you are using a wide variety exercises eg: break the routine and do something different. A good rule of thumb is six to eight weeks and then change up.