Weird sort of NSV's

Options
After 50 pounds lost, people at work are really starting to notice. The compliments are nice :-)

Apparently, the word has gotten out that I'm dieting*, and I had to laugh when a co-worker asked "why didn't you ask Sunny to order pizza with us?" The response was "She's on a diet, didn't you notice she's lost weight?" I was so pleased that this young guy answered that in fact he HAD noticed, and that second, my co-workers were trying to support me by NOT offering me pizza!

*I don't say I'm on a diet...I refuse to use that word, because that word implies it's temporary. I just try to eat health(ier) and stay within my calories most days.

The co-worker who asked about the pizza tonight was my CNA in the ER and he asked me what I was doing. He's very athletic and fit as he lifts weights and runs marathons. He was so supportive and encouraging. It didn't feel weird to be talking to a 22 year old about working out. Very strange for this middle aged woman! Not really an NSV, I guess, but just wanted to give a shout out to this amazing young guy.

Finally, I ended up in a conversation with my ER doctor, who happens to be a favorite provider of mine. She asked me what I was doing and I gave her my joking response about doctors always harping on healthy eating and exercise. She laughed and said "It works?" We've had this conversation before but she didn't remember. She has struggled with about 25 pounds and their crazy hours don't help. The best part was when she said "Don't take this wrong, but I can see a HUGE difference in your butt!"

It was so nice, as I have a hard time seeing it, despite the evidence in my clothes, the tape measure, and the scale. I've had to go through my wardrobe and get rid of a lot of stuff that's too big, and I've noticed that my new scrubs, which were a little tight when I first bought them (a size smaller) are now roomier in my arms, which is always a trouble spot.

Replies

• ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    awesome!, and it really is a NSV!.. way to go, things like these are great motivation :smile:
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I love the NSVs just as much as the number dropping on the scale. People noticing, clothes fitting better, my children patting my stomach and saying, "I miss how it used to jiggle." I also find myself looking at my body A LOT. Not like in a vain way, more in curiosity and wonder. I've never seen veins in my wrist before, so I check them out a lot. I've never seen muscle definition in my arms before, so it's so interesting to watch them emerge. My feet and ankles have wonderful bones in them that I have never noticed, and it's bizarre to be so unfamiliar with my own body. Of course, feeling like human being again instead of an exhausted cranky person all the time is great, too.
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Of course, feeling like human being again instead of an exhausted cranky person all the time is great, too.

I couldn't agree more! Instead of reading on my breaks, or playing on my cell phone because I'm tired, I walk the halls. If our fitness center is open--I head down there and walk on the treadmill. I eat my lunch/dinner through out the shift, 5 minute here or there, but when I punch out for breaks or take my 15 min. break it's not for coffee, it's for exercise.

I would NOT have guessed that I would have been doing this a year ago when I was taking the elevator every day up ONE lousy floor.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    thats great!!!!!!!!!!!!
    right on.. 50#'s is a LOT.. great great job!!!!
    and i agree I dont say diet either... my friend and I were out to eat (shes 'dieting;) and she told the waiter.> (we know him) oh yeah were both dieting (her and i) and im all "diet?? im not on a diet, what diet"? LOL
    cuz really its not its what i like and hella smaller portions! and tracking.. more like tracking/controlling and loosing and achieving greatness.. no reason to have the "die" word in that mix!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!