Quick question!

miaangel345
miaangel345 Posts: 54
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Let's say you eat 180 calories under one day and 180 calories over the next day, does this balance out?

Yesterday I ate only 1400 calories but today 1750, my goal is 1580!

Replies

• dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Absolutely it balances out! Some days you are just more hungry, make different choices etc. It is how you eat habitually over the long term that matters!
  • lemonllama
    lemonllama Posts: 124 Member
    I like to think it does. Especially if its so close to your actual goal intake (a few hundred) considering -3500 calories equals losing a pound I would think if you were -500 one day, -800 one day, -300 another day, whatever, it would all add up the same!!

However I've noticed that going way over, like 1000 calories haha, definately harder to balance out!!

=)
  • Cool! I figured so! just had a taste for a turkey burger and fries today.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    NO!!!

Your body needs a certain amount of calories everyday... it's a use or lose system... there is not storing them or saving them for the next day. I don't know why people think that way. You need to think in terms of one day at a time! It's not healthy to eat so many one day and only eat a little the next because the day before you ate a lot! It doesn't make sense!

The two don't even each other out. Your body has already digested and used those calories - it doesn't "save" them from the day before.

If you have questions about this kind of stuff you should really be asking a nutritionist! Every nutritionist I've EVER worked with has said that you can't "save" calories like this. It just doesn't happen.

Say you put yourself on a 1200 cal diet/per day... one day you went over and ate 1600 and didn't exercise... Your body/mind doesn't not think in terms of the future. It thinks in terms on the now... So you're mind will not say "oh I'm only going to get 800 calories tomorrow so I better save these extra 400 calories!"

Not only that but you're doing yourself a HUGE disservice... you're body can't adjust that quickly and you may send it into starvation mode where it will hang onto EVERYTHING you eat, turning it all into fat! It's just not a good idea! Just my 2 cents!
  • mlove1307
    mlove1307 Posts: 151
    NO!!!

Your body needs a certain amount of calories everyday... it's a use or lose system... there is not storing them or saving them for the next day. I don't know why people think that way. You need to think in terms of one day at a time! It's not healthy to eat so many one day and only eat a little the next because the day before you ate a lot! It doesn't make sense!

The two don't even each other out. Your body has already digested and used those calories - it doesn't "save" them from the day before.

If you have questions about this kind of stuff you should really be asking a nutritionist! Every nutritionist I've EVER worked with has said that you can't "save" calories like this. It just doesn't happen.

Say you put yourself on a 1200 cal diet/per day... one day you went over and ate 1600 and didn't exercise... Your body/mind doesn't not think in terms of the future. It thinks in terms on the now... So you're mind will not say "oh I'm only going to get 800 calories tomorrow so I better save these extra 400 calories!"

Not only that but you're doing yourself a HUGE disservice... you're body can't adjust that quickly and you may send it into starvation mode where it will hang onto EVERYTHING you eat, turning it all into fat! It's just not a good idea! Just my 2 cents!

Now. I agree on MOST of what you're saying.. but it's only 180 calories. I agree that 1000 calories is an extreeeeeme amount, but to answer your original question, its the kind of thing that you really can't save calories but your body isn't going to freak out and gain five pounds when you eat 180 calories over ONE day. Remember, your calorie goal here is already calibrated to help you lose weight - whatever amount per week you chose when you signed up. So the day you went 180 over.. eh, you didn't help yourself meet your weekly goal, but I don't think you damaged your efforts either.

Just don't make it a habit! :D And oooh does a turkey burger and some fries sound GOOD!!!!
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    NO!!!

Now. I agree on MOST of what you're saying.. but it's only 180 calories. I agree that 1000 calories is an extreeeeeme amount, but to answer your original question, its the kind of thing that you really can't save calories but your body isn't going to freak out and gain five pounds when you eat 180 calories over ONE day. Remember, your calorie goal here is already calibrated to help you lose weight - whatever amount per week you chose when you signed up. So the day you went 180 over.. eh, you didn't help yourself meet your weekly goal, but I don't think you damaged your efforts either.

Just don't make it a habit! :D And oooh does a turkey burger and some fries sound GOOD!!!!

I absolutely agree that 180 calories extra one day isn't going to make that big of a diff... my point was you can't "save" calories or make up for it the next day like she was asking. I was only giving a hypothetical example. But I agree with you that one day isn't going to make a diff as long as you don't continue!
This discussion has been closed.