Any Photographers on MFP? Critiques Welcome!

heagler870
heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
Hey everyone. Just wondering if anyone on this site does professional photography and/or for just a hobby, and knows a little something something about taking photos. I have been taking pictures with my DSLR for a little under a year now and I still have enormous amounts to learn about it and taking great photos. Photography is my passion in life and I would one day love to do it as a career. I currently have a mid-level DSLR, one that is in between entry-level and professional. I have read in other forums that some people use what I have as their main camera. I know it will last me a LONG time and take me a while for my abilities to grow beyond the usage of the camera, that is if they even do grow beyond the camera. Okay, I am asking if there are any photographers on this site because I would like if you would critique some of my photos. I can post them on here from my Flickr site or I can post my Facebook Page and you can make the comments/advice/critiques there. I have all my photos on there from when I first started to the very last session I did. I leave all my photos up so I can see my progression. I have found that I really like doing outdoor portrait type photos and engagement sessions. I haven't done many engagements but the ones I have done I had a blast doing them.

One problem I run into though is getting my photos "tack sharp." Unfortunately I have not yet been able to get a tripod and in the past I haven't charged people for taking photos. I have recently started charging though a very small amount so as to start saving up for more equipment. I feel bad for charging because I am not at my best yet but I think the price is extremely dirt cheap *Under 50 dollars* for the amount of pictures they get.

Okay, sorry for rambling! If there are any photographers out there that will be willing to critique some of my photos please leave a comment here and I will post a link! Thanks everyone!

Replies

• LemonSnap
    LemonSnap Posts: 186 Member
    bookmarking for later
  • stephc0711
    stephc0711 Posts: 1,022 Member
    I'll take a look at them. I'm more of a hobbyist than professional, but I do take pictures for money :)
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Sure, you can just inbox me a link for flickr, i have a profile there. Many areas have facebook groups that are great for learning how to improve your skills. Since you like outdoors, practicing with natural lighting is something you should def. Work on, especially if you have a friend who will stand around for you. Our fb group gets together and practices with a model. Lots of stuff to learn. A good foundation on Photoshop is also important. That is where you get your "tack sharp" along with fixing any weird lighting
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    **also, in getting in with other photog friends, many people who shoot weddings like to have a back-up. From getting shots on different angles, to helping with lighting equipment.
  • heagler870
    heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
    Alright, I will just give you my facebook page. In the search menu type in "Katie Heagler Photography" I don't think you actually have to "Like" my page to leave comments, but maybe you do? If you do you can just like and comment on them and then unlike if you want. I keep all of my work on this Facebook page so you may be able to see the progression from when I first started to where I am now.
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    You might be interested in studying Ansel Adams. He's known for his landscape photography that is extremely crisp and detailed. I just recently went to a gallery showing of his favorite photos and even in the blackest blacks and the whitest whites there was detail.

http://www.thepaine.org/exhibitions/ansel-adams.html <---where the exibition is :)
  • chip40
    chip40 Posts: 21 Member
    I do sports action and sports portraits photography. I'll do the occasional wedding and social events for friends, but it is not my speciality. I self taught myself alot of what I know. Alot of your tact sharp issues can be a variety of things ranging from the internal setting of the camera, to a combination of shutter speeds/ISO/Apeture. If I can see the properties of the images you are talking about, I can hit on a few pointers.