Wheat causing you to eat and eat

Has anyone noticed with certain wheats, how it makes you want to eat and eat. I always eat a reduced carb , and for me that means usually protein in place of carbs. From time to time I have noticed that certain carbs such as puffed wheat cereal, will really
make me feel extra hungry, and trigers my eating .

Has this ever been the case with others, and if so what foods.

Replies

• elizawe
    elizawe Posts: 54 Member
    Basically, all food ultimately breaks down in the blood stream to six glucose molecules. Certain wheat breaks down faster causing a rise in blood sugar levels. This rise in blood sugar levels causes insulin to be secreted by the pancreas so that the sugar can be stored as fat in the cells of your body. Once the suger is pushed into the cells, the brain then receives hunger signals telling you to eat again. It's a viscious cycle.

It's best to avoid high gylcemic foods, especially puffed wheat. Choose whole grains, high fiber, low sugar. Ezekiel Bread and Food for Life are excellent bread choices. Here's a link to low gylcemic foods. http://www.glycemicindex.com/.

Hope this helps!
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Yes, I noticed something similar. I don't think it is just the carb increase. A sweet potato certainly doesn't increase my appetite in the same way wheat or corn do, whole grain or otherwise.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    I gave it up due to a gluten allergy and now I realize I was always hungry and it may be connected to eating wheat. I don't get that hungry feeling anymore.
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Me too. Though only lately clicked onto what is was. Bakery products. Especially soft ones.
    I know how it works in the body but didn't clue in to the fact that it was happening. Big Duh to me:indifferent: :grumble:
    :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • FitGirl329
    FitGirl329 Posts: 103 Member
    I'm eating low glycemic and have learned a lot about low and high glycemic foods recently. Basically white and wheat are both high glycemic. The body treats them the same. So what you're experiencing isn't surprising. Low glycemic fibrous carbs will keep you fuller longer and even more so when combined with a protein and a good fat and some veggies. Low glycemic carbs: 100% whole grains (not whole wheat...they're different), sprouted grains like Ezekiel 4:9 breads, some companies make flax crackers that are low glycemic. White potatoes raise blood sugar more than table sugar. Sweet potatoes, new potatoes, brown rice and quinoa, slow cooking oats are all low glycemic. Hope that helps a bit!
  • 2011Eileen
    2011Eileen Posts: 63 Member
    Thank you everyone,
    You all really came through for me, and what great info you gave me.