mutil-use unpaved trails
grass fields
dirt roads
treadmill
composite outdoor track
asphalt roads/sidewalks /trails/track
concrete roads/sidewalks.
Other?

Personally I prefer running on multi-use unpaved trails or grass. However, I don't do it often because I have to drive to get to trails and my hobby is road racing. So I need to do most workouts on the surface I race on. As a result, most of my runs are on asphalt roads near my house. I avoid the concrete because it's just too hard. There are a few places where I have to get on the sidewalk for safety reasons, but if I can do so, I'll run on the asphalt road and leave the sidewalk for others.

I try to do my long runs, however, on trails because those runs are focused on getting time on my feet, and the softer surface is both easier on my legs and a little slower.

The composite track is a great surface, but it's also a drive and unless it's part of a speed workout running 1/4 mile circles isn't nearly as fun as going somewhere.

Replies

• tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    I use composite outdoor track on the weekends when school is not in session
    On weekdays I hit 3 -4 different parks all with stone dust or ashpalt
    Out of all of those the composite track is my favorite
  • This is an easy one! My favorite surface to run on is an outdoor athletic track. One that you'll find at a local high school. I feel like it gives you the best traction possible while also keeping you focused on the task at hand. Running through streets is much tougher than finishing a few more laps!
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    I don't really care for any but if I must :laugh:

I like the op run on asphalt over concrete. I run on the shoulder of the road, nice even asphalt. The sidewalks kill my feet and all the up and downs at the driveways and such ruin my groove.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    A track, since that is what I did for so many years.
    But I almost never go run on one.
    Trails are also what I enjoy and soon it will be dry enough to start hitting them again, I have no interest in making every days runs a mud run.
  • seeled
    seeled Posts: 93
    Three months ago I would have said anything outdoors. However, since I gotshin splints from running on the road, I try not to do that anymore. I can't seem to get them healed and now even the treadmill bothers my shins!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Trails...all day.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Trail running is my absolute favorite, and I live in a perfect place for that. I have several different trail systems to chose from, all within a short drive.
  • jbr121
    jbr121 Posts: 28 Member
    Treadmill. I live in England where it's cold and rainy, I know I'd talk myself out of it if I had to leave the house. Ad it's kinder to my knees.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Trails. Unpaved multi-use path is most common lately, though. Then asphalt, then indoor track at my gym as a last resort. I avoid treadmills--just do not like them.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    I haven't run on a track in a long, long, time, but I would imagine that.

However given what is more immediately available, I prefer roads. Everything else you have to pay attention to more, whether the treadmill, trails, or sidewalks. As long as you are in a low traffic area, with roads you really don't have to pay attention to your footing or immediate surroundings.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Nice flat asphalt trail or roadway. I always end up with a hip problem if I run on an uneven surface.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    I prefer the feel of a composite track, but I get bored running laps. Usually I stick to running on the streets of my neighborhood. I used to run on the sidewalk, but ended up at the podiatry office with a near stress fracture in my foot. The doctor told me there's a big difference between concrete and asphalt, and that she recommends never running on sidewalks because of the potential for bone damage. I've stuck to the street since then and have had no problems at all.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    I lettered in cross country and I am an avid hiker. I LOVE trails and rough terrain.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Grass. Used to play soccer and it can be gentlest on your legs. Then, rugged trails. I love having to leap rocks, vary your stride, watch where you are stepping. All these things are great distractions and they increase the workout.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Trails. No question. And I'm lucky in that I live within a 15 minute drive to some of the most spectacular trails in the country. Even just walking out my door I can get on a urban trail in about a quarter mile and either go coastal or inland.