Ideal Weight

Options
2»

Replies

• chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I was 330 starting out (5'7) and I decided I wanna lose half of my body weight so my goal was to lose 165 to be 165. But then I realized that was still gonna put me in the "overweight" category of the BMI chart. I don't know how great those charts are, but I DO know that I'm not gonna bust my tail to lose over 150 lbs just to be labeled as overweight. Uh-uh! So I lowered my goal weight to 150. I looked at the pics on the body gallery site that shows you real pics of real people your height at your goal weight so you can tell approximately how you'll look. It was helpful because I've been overweight since about 9th grade. I've never seen my adult frame at a healthy body weight. I think at 150 lbs I'll be curvy but with a flat tummy if that site is anything to go by.

So I have to lose 180 lbs. and I'm 25% of the way there!
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    The more weight I lose the more I have been lowering my goal weight. I started at 228, thought that 150 was a good goal, got to 150 and realized I need at least 20-30 more pounds off of my 5 foot frame.

I'm 146 right now and I'm thinking between 115-125 but I won't know until I get there.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    I'm 5ft 10 and currently weigh 159lbs down from my highest weight of 284lb. initially i aimed for size 16 and 196lb because that seemed like a dream back then and i stayed there for about 7 years. then i decided i needed to lose more and yoyoed for 3 years between 196lb and 168lb before i decided enough was enough.
    This time i've hit th gym, i weight train and im 159lb down from 196lb. i set a goal of 168lb but when i got there i was still too big for my liking (uk size 12) so i'm aiming for 150 and then i'll see how i look. Its mainly fat on my thighs calves and bottom that im still trying to drop.
  • PinkHurricane88
    PinkHurricane88 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My highest recorded weight was 275. I could have easily been pushing or slightly over 280, I had been so sick for a week leading up to going in the hospital and getting weighed in. Anyways, I set my goal as my 'happy' weight range, which is slightly above what I weighed in high school, but a weight range that I always felt good about myself and in my clothes. That range for me is 170-180 lbs. I decided to shoot for a loss of 100lbs, so I set my goal for 175lbs. When I get there, I might lose a little more because I will still be considered overweight BMI wise, but I don't think BMI takes into account measurements and body shape either.
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    for me - I chose a weight and the corresponding measurements from a time when I was very fit and healthy - that was 130 lbs - but - the weight itself doesnt matter to me - it's the inches and BF% that's important to me - if I get to 150lbs and the inches that I want I'll be good with that - shape is important - scale not so much. If you dont yet know what you want your ultimate end goal to be - start with smaller goals - 25lbs or 2 clothing sizes - and adjust as you go. There's no rules anywhere that says you cant change your goal.
  • PattyC64
    PattyC64 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Even at my minimum weight for my height, I always felt like women who weighed much more than I did wore smaller clothes. I'm assuming it's because I had small bones and a high body fat %. People with denser bones will weigh more, but it doesn't add on to your size.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Re: How long it took to add the 10 pounds?

It took me a few months--I only have the funds and time to do strength training (at the gym) 2 times a week. My goal wasn't so much to get stronger as it was to lose the "baby fat" from four pregnancies. So it took me a little longer to build up the muscle than it would for someone focusing mainly on strength training. But I started losing the fat--first quickly, then the weight loss slowed down as I started to build muscle.

You must have cracking generics to gain that much muscle in a few months! Lucky you. Are you thinking of competing at some point?

Are you being sarcastic? Because we know that didnt happen.
  • LuckyMe381
    LuckyMe381 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 - my first goal os 125 then i want to get toned...
  • mandy0688
    mandy0688 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I am 209 wanting to get down to 135
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I look in the mirror and measure my inches. The day I look in the mirror and see an athletic Ageless Goddess looking back at me, with a flat stomach, defined shoulders and no bulge on her outer thigh... well then i will record my weight and BF% and try to stick with it.
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    Body fat measuring for me too. I'm still classed as overweight for my height. Bothered. Nope!

If thats overweight, sign me up!!
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Ideal weight--- 15-17% BF depending on how it looks/what I feel best at.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    My end goal is 135 lbs because I thought it would be cool to cut my weight in half from my highest pregnancy weight. Realistically, I'll reassess based on how I look and feel at about 150-160 lbs.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This is a good way of estimating your goal weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/684493-how-to-determine-weight-goal?hl=how+to:+determine&page=1

I used to have a goal weight of 175 based on history (high school weight) but then I realized I would need to lose over 10 lbs of muscle to get there. I then changed it to 187 @ 6% body fat to maintain my current lean body mass.

Also by BMI and weight standards, i am overweight (even now and I am 12% body fat)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I picked the high end of "healthy weight for your height" on the BMI chart.