Is it bad that my net calories are under 1200?

Options
So MFP has me eating about 1390 calories as my default deficit. When I add my exercise, it's about 1600 - 1700 calories. Right now i'm at about 1400 calories, but my net calories are still under 1200. Only by less than 100 though. Is this bad?
My exercise isn't very intense, just weight lifting for 30 minutes and walking for about 45 minutes. Any opinions?

Replies

• adelitas_star
    Options
    Bump please :D
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    No, it's not bad. That's my opinion.
  • adelitas_star
    Options
    No, it's not bad. That's my opinion.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    For s day or so...no big deal. As a daily pattern....not so healthy. But...YMMV.
  • adelitas_star
    Options
    For s day or so...no big deal. As a daily pattern....not so healthy. But...YMMV.

Ok, thanks.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    One day, no.

Every day. yes.
  • adelitas_star
    Options
    One day, no.

Every day. yes.

Thank ya much. I'll make sure it doesn't happen every day.
  • crowyhead
    Options
    I tend to think that if it all balances out at the end of the week, you're good to go. I often have a really hard time eating my deficit on days when I'm very active, but I try to at least get within 100 calories of my goal. I'm only doing half a pound a week, though, so I have a little more leeway to play with.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    So MFP has me eating about 1390 calories as my default deficit. When I add my exercise, it's about 1600 - 1700 calories. Right now i'm at about 1400 calories, but my net calories are still under 1200. Only by less than 100 though. Is this bad?
    My exercise isn't very intense, just weight lifting for 30 minutes and walking for about 45 minutes. Any opinions?

It all depends on your RMR and how much of a calorie deficit you can handle. It sounds like you might be short and have a lower RMR than all the people around here who will tell you to eat more because they needed to eat more. We are all different.

To tell everyone eat more is wrong.

To tell everyone to eat less is wrong.

To find the exact amount of calories for you to be in a sustainable calorie deficit is correct. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others. Some people have emotional eating disorders and it comes into play. Even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such and everyone is different. One way is not wrong or right, it depends on the person.

I was able to handle a pretty deep calorie deficit because I'm very disciplined and eat healthy (good fuel for the body so I can perform well at the gym) and I do not have emotional eating issues. I have a very low RMR so my doctor said I could go lower than 1200. Of course this would be too low for taller/bigger people with a higher RMR or even someone with a low RMR who has too much stress or emotional eating issues. If you binge this is a big sign that it's too low.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    As long as you are consuming quality claories it shouldn't be bad at all.... of course simply listen to your body as it asks for fuel as well...
  • adelitas_star
    Options
    I tend to think that if it all balances out at the end of the week, you're good to go. I often have a really hard time eating my deficit on days when I'm very active, but I try to at least get within 100 calories of my goal. I'm only doing half a pound a week, though, so I have a little more leeway to play with.

I don't think it would be bad since all in all I am eating more than 1200 calories.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I have my net at 1,000 - 1,200 almost every day . It means I could be eating 1,500 - 1,600 and still be netting 1,000 ... I don't worry about it. I'm not starving. I don't even feel hungry once I get up to 1,600. If I am netting at 400, thats when I know it isn't doing me good. HECK, I've seen girls netting at negative numbers, now that is scary!!

It's fine if your net varies from day to day. If it's 1,400 one day, and 1,100 the next.... don't stress over it. Just don't aim to create the lowest net that you can, either!

Good luck!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

I looked back a little over your diary for the past week and you have only logged yesterdays cals? So how do you know for sure that you are eating under a net value of 1200 cals?

But to answer your question, now and again is OK but you really need to net 1200 cals as otherwise long term you will find that your body doesn`t react too good to so little food. Nails, hair, skin to start and then organ function can go down if you are not feeding them properly?

IMO just add an extra bit of food to reach your net, good luck x
  • adelitas_star
    Options

It all depends on your RMR and how much of a calorie deficit you can handle. It sounds like you might be short and have a lower RMR than all the people around here who will tell you to eat more because they needed to eat more. We are all different.

To find the exact amount of calories for you to be in a sustainable calorie deficit is correct. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others. Some people have emotional eating disorders and it comes into play. Even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such and everyone is different. One way is not wrong or right, it depends on the person.

I was able to handle a pretty deep calorie deficit because I'm very disciplined and eat healthy (good fuel for the body so I can perform well at the gym) and I do not have emotional eating issues. I have a very low RMR so my doctor said I could go lower than 1200. Of course this would be too low for taller/bigger people with a higher RMR.

My RMR is 1470 calories. So does that mean eating under 1200 is bad? I'm really short, only 5'3".
  • adelitas_star
    Options
    I have my net at 1,000 - 1,200 almost every day . It means I could be eating 1,500 - 1,600 and still be netting 1,000 ... I don't worry about it. I'm not starving. I don't even feel hungry once I get up to 1,600. If I am netting at 400, thats when I know it isn't doing me good. HECK, I've seen girls netting at negative numbers, now that is scary!!

It's fine if your net varies from day to day. If it's 1,400 one day, and 1,100 the next.... don't stress over it. Just don't aim to create the lowest net that you can, either!

Good luck!

Well have you been losing weight this way?? All in all I eat around my BMR per day. Which is between 1400 - 1500 calories. I never aim to make a low net :)
  • adelitas_star
    Options

I looked back a little over your diary for the past week and you have only logged yesterdays cals? So how do you know for sure that you are eating under a net value of 1200 cals?

But to answer your question, now and again is OK but you really need to net 1200 cals as otherwise long term you will find that your body doesn`t react too good to so little food. Nails, hair, skin to start and then organ function can go down if you are not feeding them properly?

IMO just add an extra bit of food to reach your net, good luck x

I hadn't been able to get online to log my calories lately, but I eat the same things every day. Almost literally. I keep track of my calories on a notebook when I'm not tracking here.
    But if I eat over 1200 calories, with or without exercise, what's the problem?
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options

Good luck!

Well have you been losing weight this way?? All in all I eat around my BMR per day. Which is between 1400 - 1500 calories. I never aim to make a low net :)

Yes, I have been losing this way. Even when I occasionally binge a few times during the month... I still manage to shed weight. (I only weigh in once a month... though... lol.)

My RMR is about 1,430 calories. But, it's always just an estimate. Mine could really be 1,390 or 1,500. Depending on muscle mass and such.

Really, the exercise on here is only an estimate at calories burned. While some exercises tell me I burn 300 I could really only be burning 200 , or I could be burning 400 ... All these tools on MFP are only guidelines... =)

So, when it shows you net 1,000 ... for all you know it could really be 1,100.

(If none of that is too confusing!! )

If you want, I have some forum links on my profile and they might explain it better. Just make an effort to eat some exercise calories back... like, atleast half! And if you feel extremely hungry... eat something. Drink enough water, and all that healthy stuff...You don't sound like you are starving. Youre doing good!

=P
  • jasmine101010
    Options
    now this has got me thinking am still kinda confused with net calories as I am currently at 219

I have been exercising like hell today and have burned over 1500 calories and still have loads of energy to do more later. and have consumed over 1700 calories.

Am i doing ok?
  • ObtainingBalance
    Options
    now this has got me thinking am still kinda confused with net calories as I am currently at 219

I have been exercising like hell today and have burned over 1500 calories and still have loads of energy to do more later. and have consumed over 1700 calories.

Am i doing ok?

No. 200 is starving.

You need some calories for your body to function off of, WITHOUT you burning it all in exercise. BECAUSE your body burns such and such calories just staying alive.

You are over exercising. I used to net realy low, and that never helped me. I felt so tired and I kept overeating because of it.

Just raise your net up to about 1,000 - 1,500 . Don't go 800 or below... burning 1,500 in exercise is crazy.
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options

Thank you for this. I'm a very short person and run into the difficulty of eating a lot. I still want an HRM just to see through the day what I'm really using, but in due time.