New 51 yrs old, tired of being overweight

Options
Hello,

I am new to my fitness pal, my nutritionist referred me. I must say I have used it faithfully and spend more time on it than facebook now. I use the recipe swap and I love that part.

I read some of your post and it is reassuring that others are feeling the same as I do. I was a road warrior for 30 years, and a 30 year smoker. The company downsized and my job was eliminated, I quit smoking and gained about 70 pounds. So you might say I traded one bad habit for another. My Mom recently passed and my son move out, so am suffering from empty nest also. For the first time in I cant remember how long, I find myself with time on my hands and I am not caring for anyone. I filled the void with food. Now its time for a new page in the book, I need to get out of this funk and back in shape.

So that is my story and I appreciate the recipes some of you have shared and your stories, they are inspirational.

Replies

• sissy56
    sissy56 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Wow, if you can stop a 30-year smoking habit, you can do anything. I can relate to filling empty time with food. Finding exercise I enjoy helped. Best wishes to you on your journey.
  • petitepedal
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking! Finding activities you like are a big help, reading, knitting, painting, some kind of relaxation pass time or hobby as well as a physical activity or two might help. I signed up of a community education yoga class a few years ago, I get the fitness benefits and I am out with new people! Good Luck.
  • rubyjune27
    rubyjune27 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Like you when I stopped smoking I gained weight, 35lbs when I was already over 28lbs overweight. Then I managed to lose 46lbs, but over the next 2 years put 22 back again! This time I have lost 42 with only 4 to go. I was fat and forty, so have decided fifties is about being fab and fit. Not smoking has resulted in me being able to exercise with energy and enthusiasm.

Good luck, it isn't always an easy journey, but well worth it.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am new to my fitness pal, my nutritionist referred me. I must say I have used it faithfully and spend more time on it than facebook now. I use the recipe swap and I love that part.

I read some of your post and it is reassuring that others are feeling the same as I do. I was a road warrior for 30 years, and a 30 year smoker. The company downsized and my job was eliminated, I quit smoking and gained about 70 pounds. So you might say I traded one bad habit for another. My Mom recently passed and my son move out, so am suffering from empty nest also. For the first time in I cant remember how long, I find myself with time on my hands and I am not caring for anyone. I filled the void with food. Now its time for a new page in the book, I need to get out of this funk and back in shape.

So that is my story and I appreciate the recipes some of you have shared and your stories, they are inspirational.

Awesome job quitting smoking. I'm 51, almost 52. Anyone can do this! :)
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    We just started a new group of mostly over-50 women who would be a great support system for you! Join us here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/9239-the-ladies-who-lunch
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    well girl.....now starts your journey to a slimmer and healthier you! i wish you much success! you will love it here too. please feel free to add me to your friends list if you like. iam on here on and off throughout the day....everyday. :flowerforyou:
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and can relate to the Empty Nest Syndrome!

Add me if you like. :)
  • goldandgreen
    goldandgreen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello ! Its your turn to care about yourself and put yourself first!! congratulations on taking the steps to improving yourself.. how are you doing? Today is my first day and i am nervous for some reason... i have the over-eating thing too.... and its something that will be hard for me to get away from
  • BOOMBAH52
    Options
    You are an admirable and incredibly strong person to have given up the *kitten*. Congratulations on that success. Onward now to new ones!

I'm 52 and a painter. When things are not going well in the studio, somehow I find myself at the fridge door.!!!!! We all have our struggles, I have only just started back on the good-health wagon. Good luck. We can do it. :)
  • pooperino
    Options
    Welcome to the site :D
    My personal story involves a lot of hit and miss diets, and generally being hooked on foods that aren't healthy.. cheese, meat, milk, butter, yogurt.. So recently I switched to a plant-based diet (in august) and I went from 246 to 216(just weighed in yesterday). I have a lot of recipes if you'd like to try it. It's much cheaper to buy all the stuff you need at the local grocery store, since it's just veggies, fruits, nuts, and pasta/flour. Nothing to it :D I dare you to try it for 3 weeks! Also, you can never have too many veggies in a day. Boil em, cook em, or just eat em raw. You lose weight regardless this way, trust me.. I had so many cravings at the start I was forcing food down my throat every night during my usual "snacking" hours. But in 3 weeks that was all gone. My system didn't need the food, I was getting enough calories and nutrients, and so my body started being hungry naturally at even times throughout the day and I ate. But yeah, first three weeks were a big drop for me, 16 pounds I think.
    But yeah, if you don't try this I still wish you the best of luck, and don't over exert yourself :D It's always easy to try too hard at first cause you want it so bad, but it's easier in the long run if you take it slow and get into the routine gradually. Good health to you!
  • Raine1257
    Options
    I'm 54 and was a 36 year smoker until last Jan. I didn't add too much weight because I was already really over weight. Like you I am an empty nester and I was slowly loosing my mind. My health had become a big problem, I'm diabetic, and I had to do something. My husband is the cook around here and needed to loose weight too. So overnight we decided to get serious about this. I am a real weakling and if I can find a way around the comfort food...so can you. I sent you a friend request and I will be happy to share what I am doing & eating. Congratulations on being an ex-smoker and deciding to make some life changes. Raine
  • casey882
    casey882 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Really well done on the smoking if you can do that I'm sure u can do anything you put ur mind to I'm tied of being over weight to hopefully we all lose the weight we want to good luck