Big Boned??

Options
I was talking to a lady from church who was congratulating me on my weight loss so far...She asked me what my goal weight was and I told her 130 lbs (Starting weight was 250 and currently I'm 189)......She looked at me in shock which I find as a challenge but then she said that I was big boned and that I needed to take that into account....I personally don't think bone structure has anything to do with weight but I could be wrong...What are you thoughts?

Replies

• vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as big boned.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    There was a guy on here that had a rant about this. You can't be big boned. It's all about frame size and height.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    myth-i-am-just-big-boned.jpg
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Of course bone structure have a lot to do with weight - if you have bigger and longer bones (frame size and height) you will weigh more than somebody with tiny bones and 4 feet tall.....
    But...don't get hung up on a spesific number on the scale - rather work on body fat % and body comp - that works for everyone, no matter if you have bones like a dinosaur or a bird.....
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    LOL..........I HEAR THIS AND LAUGH.

Umm, there are people who have biggER bones then other people (like someone is tallER than someone else) but there's no such thing as someone is BIG BONED and they need to have an EXTRA hundred pounds on them to be ok.
  • Heyman09
    Heyman09 Posts: 184
    Options

That's awesome and it helps alot to be able to see it!!
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    People do have different frame sizes, that's one reason the healthy weight range is a range and not a specific number. For example, a healthy weight for a woman my height is 115 to 155 pounds. Someone my height with a small frame might look and be overweight at 150, while someone else might look starved and be underweight at 120. There are some places online that will give you an ideal weight for your frame (based on elbow breadth and/or wrist circumference).

Obviously, no matter how big your frame, there is a number at which you are overweight. At 260 pounds I was obviously overweight, large frame or no. But I can't imagine I would look or be healthy at 115, since my frame is fairly large. That's why I set my initial goal weight to 150. I might lose more after that, but I won't know until I get there what's natural for me.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Definition please. What is the difference between big boned and frame size? Your skeleton is your frame which is made of bones. For as short as I am my bone structure is large however fat is fat on these bones.
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Big boned is horse****; however, you can be "muscular" and weigh more than you look. At my smallest I was 158 pounds and wore an 8. I was not fat, just built like a brick ****house.
  • Presleyforpresident
    Options
    http://www.medindia.net/patients/calculators/framesize1.asp

^^check it.
    i have a very small frame size, whereas my aunt has a very large frame size.
    i weigh 159 lbs as of now and i'm a size 14/15. my aunt weighs 155 lbs (as of last month, lol) and she is a size 11/12.
    we're both 5'3.
  • MCNWifey
    Options

LOVE IT!
  • nevadablinggoose
    Options
    See this post..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/376387-ha-large-frame-bmi-i-knew-it-o

Having a large frame does matter. Not everyone fits into the regular BMI categories. You can measure your wrists to find out if you are small, medium, or large framed. If you have a large frame, your bones are bigger.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    See this post..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/376387-ha-large-frame-bmi-i-knew-it-o

Having a large frame does matter. Not everyone fits into the regular BMI categories. You can measure your wrists to find out if you are small, medium, or large framed. If you have a large frame, your bones are bigger.

I don't think that measuring your wrists is a valid way to determine this. You could have small wrists, but bigger bones in other areas. For example, I have small wrists, but will always have wider hips than average at any weight.
  • chcltroses
    Options
    I never understood this myself. the elders in my family meant well by telling me i was big boned so it was ok to be a little chunky.
    But growing up as a girl that developed a little too quick, this hurt. I wanted to look like the smaller girls, it took me a good while to realise there is no such thing as big boned.

I know i have a large frame, being short makes everything look bigger. I dont need that label, i am a thick madam, lol. sounds a little better, but this won't stop me from getting back to what i was before i was pregnant
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Obviously different people have different sized frames, but this accounts for less than 15 pounds for most people of the same height.
    So... cross that bridge when you get there.
    See how you look as you progress.

Good Luck and congrats.
  • lveh8lve
    lveh8lve Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I know I have a larger frame then others. In college I was 115 lbs, 5'11", with under 5% body fat and the smallest jeans I could ever fit in was a size 6.

Just because you are "big boned" doesn't mean you can't still be skinny!!!!
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I was talking to a lady from church who was congratulating me on my weight loss so far...She asked me what my goal weight was and I told her 130 lbs (Starting weight was 250 and currently I'm 189)......She looked at me in shock which I find as a challenge but then she said that I was big boned and that I needed to take that into account....I personally don't think bone structure has anything to do with weight but I could be wrong...What are you thoughts?

translation: big boned = im really jealous of your accomplishments, please stop so i stop feeling bad bout myself. Amen
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree however, the term must be changed. I am the same way. I am short and stalkly. I once thought I need to be around 130 pounds.

But after talking to my parents we considered 160.

So now my plan is to get to that weight. Maintain for a while and if I feel I need to lose more I can. Yet, it's up to you.

I just want to be at a healthy weight and have the mucsles.

I am five one...

Add a few inches with shoes.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Big boned, eh? Have you ever seen a fat skeleton?
  • cfregon
    cfregon Posts: 147
    Options

First, as someone who studies bones, I have to note that in this picture, one of them is male, the other is female, which accounts for a bit of difference...just sayin...

But your bones are the same (or within a small range of thickness, mostly due to health, sometimes to stressors during development, etc...density also varies, usually due to age and/or deterioration) no matter who you are. Your build- the assemblage, variations in length, posture, muscle:fat, etc all play a part in how we *carry* our weight. This accounts for differences. Someone would say I might have big bones/big frame, simply because I have always looked like I weight much less than I actually do (many people put me at about 180-190 when I was 230). This is because of my muscle mass, my bone structure, etc.