vibration plate

Options
2»

Replies

• NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    my thought exactly - that vibrating machine. And that roller thing was popular at "Elaine Powers". That was a women's fitness center back in the day. Way back. LOL

OMG Elaine Powers. Now that brings back memories. It wasn't a gym, it was a 'fitness salon'.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Of course vibration plates work! So many ads and big gyms can't be wrong.
    Double the whammy and get a shake weight to use on the vibration plate. Twice as many "micro contractions"!

Sarcasm aside, I have yet to see a study that shows any real effectiveness to vibrating your muscles during a workout.
  • LdyPsych
    LdyPsych Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/equipment/do-vibration-plates-really-work.html#b

I had never heard of this before. When I first read it I was thinking it was one of these.
    vibrating_belt.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: wow, my neighbor had one of those when I was very young and when you put that belt around me it vibrated so fast that it made me itch like a mad person! At least it increased blood flow :drinker:

I remember when these things were popular. My mom joined a "fitness center" when I was little (like 1968). This contraption and the "roller thing" were extremely popular. (I'll see if I can find a photo of the roller machine.

I r ember those roller things too (although strangely enough, that one might have a leasr been useful for something, at least for a massage lol. 1968... Yep, right about then! I simply can't believe that there are current gyms that have these. Seriously??? That is a little scary.
  • aplhabetacheesecake
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fMa9DP9MU4 this? seriously this?? this cannot work
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I use a vibration plate machine. It is not a miracle worker, nor is it snake oil. It is a tool that can help you increase the intensity of your workout.
    The vibrations makes your muscles do mini contractions while you do the actual move (ex squats/lunges/dumbell work) which simply makes your body work harder. I really like to use mine, but it's not for everyone, and results depend on how much you put into it ( just like everything else in life)
    It's kind of like asking if a fitness ball will help you use weight... if all you ever do is sit on it, the ball is not going to do much more than help you engage some stability muscles. But if you perform exercises on the ball, it increases the effectiveness of the moves you do.
    Most companies like to claim just standing on their vibration plates will melt away the fat, which isn't true, but it can be used to up the intensity of your workouts.

Ah, I see.

So it saves having to do all that unpleasant physical exercise stuff like, well, I don't know - getting up and moving one's fat *kitten* around for an hour?

Fair enough.