Grapefruit Juice.. Helps lose weight?

TheBull50
TheBull50 Posts: 220
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello Everyone. I was reading on the internet that drinking grapefruit juice once a day can actually help with weight loss.. Does anyone know if this is true or just hype?

Thanks for the help everyone :-)

Replies

• geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Grapefruit naturally helps lowe the bad cholesterol. This is a documented fact and people taking cholesterol-related drugs are actually advised not to eat or drink grapefruit.

Can it magically make you lose weight by simply drinking a glass a day ? Not sure about that though, especially if the juice contains added sugar !
  • TheBull50
    TheBull50 Posts: 220
    Let me also say this: I am very active and workout daily. So I don't expect to just have weight fall off of me. It was just something I began reading about and was curious about
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Hype. Same as caffine, cayene pepper, lemon juice, mediteranian diet etc. etc. All good things but being market'd as magic formulas.
  • The juice can be a dangerous trap because it does sometimes have added sugar and would fall along the lines of "empty calories." I do think, however, that if you replace a snack with a grapefruit each day, you will benefit from it because the fruit itself is very low cal and high in vitamins and water. I usually have a half one in the morning with my oatmeal or at lunch.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Hello Everyone. I was reading on the internet that drinking grapefruit juice once a day can actually help with weight loss.. Does anyone know if this is true or just hype?

Thanks for the help everyone :-)

This is a quote from the "gameover diet"

We recommend obtaining your carbohydrates in every meal during
    the Cut Diet (not including the carbohydrate meal) from leafy green
    vegetables and grapefruit. Why grapefruit?
    Grapefruit is loaded with naringin. The majority of caffeine and
    other alkaloids are metabolized by various enzymes such as CYP1A2,
    CYP2E1 and CYP3A4. However, naringin has been documented to inhibit
    CYP34A (as well as CYP1A2) activity in human liver. This means
    that naringin may increase the half life (extending the activity) of various
    alkaloids, especially caffeine. Many fat burners utilize naringin for enhanced
    alkaloid effect. We got hooked on in it 10-11 years ago in the Cut
    Diet and since then, we have never dealt with anything else. We will allow
    oranges if necessary but they do not contain as much naringin as grapefruit.
    So unless you cannot stomach them at all, eat your grapefruit! We
    recommend sprinkling a packet or two of Splenda® on them. In a recent
    study in La Jolla, CA, grapefruit consumption was found to be associated
    with a reduction in weight. Moreover, 2-hour post-glucose insulin levels
    were significantly reduced among subjects consuming half a grapefruit
    with each meal, as compared to a placebo.
This discussion has been closed.