99 runs down

Options
Helloooooo all.

I fell off the exercise wagon over the summer. Boo! I logged in for almost a full year before my crazy summer got in the way, and the wheels completely fell off.
Now I'm trying to get back into the swing of things. I just went for a run, and was surprised when I got home, that my Nike App tells me it was my 99th run! Wow! My first run EVER was on July 21, 2011, with a pace of about 8:50 to do 1km. So I've improved since then... but seem to be stuck at my pace of 6:05 per km.

So, for run #100 I want to start improving. I am a 5km run kind of girl, today I finished in 30:03. I want to improve that time, and I'm not sure how.
I wear a HRM, and my average HR while I run is anywhere from 165 - 181bpm. Once it gets up past 175, I am really fighting, and I can tell that I'm over doing it, and have to slow down.
So HOW can I start to run faster, without getting my heart rate up so high? My resting HR is around 60bpm.
I'd love to finish a 5km in 28 minutes, and I'd really like to be able to run a 10km run within 55 minutes. Before I stopped exercising, I was up to about 8.5 - 9km, but haven't yet managed to run a full 10k.

So, advice on how to improve my running speed? Thanks!

Replies

• theglencoegirl
    theglencoegirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    congrats on your 99th run!!! check out runners world online--they have great strengthening programs--and i also know there are apps for speed--you sprint for certian parts of your run!! i have the same pace as you!! looking forward to others advice!!
    have a great day!!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've just reccently started running again too and did a 5k in exactly the same time as you the other night. In the past I've been able to do under 5 minute kms when I was much fitter.

You probably need to mix it up a bit. Don't do all steady state running. Start adding in some sprint work, interval work and some hill work. This should help with fitness generally, increasing power and speed.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    In order to run fast for 5k you have to increase your aerobic capacity. This is best done by running a lot at aerobic efforts and running long, 90 min to 2 hrs often.

For a complete explanation read this: Athletic Training by Arthur Lydiard, available free at http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/pdfs/al_training_eng.pdf

Once you have done this for a while, at least several months, then you can add some speed training if you want.

If you really want to do well in a 5k then you need to build up to easily running at least 25 to 30 miles a week - bare minimum.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I am with Scott. I started running 5K last spring. (I was still about 30 pounds overweight). My times were right about 30 minutes. A few things helped. 1) losing the weight, 2) running more miles a week. I ran 2-4-2-4-2-5 and my time dropped to about 25 minutes. Then I started speed work, and I knocked another minute off. I am at 24:24 for a 5K, and 55 minutes for a 10K.

Good luck.
  • bankmd
    bankmd Posts: 20
    Options
    Most runners that train for races will do some runs that are longer than race distance (unless it is a marathon) a few times a week, as well as speed work. Speed work means a workout where you do interval training of running harder than you normally would for a set distance (maybe 400 or 800 meters) and then walking or running easy for 2 minutes, and repeat. For example, 6 x 800 means six runs of 800 meters at 10k race pace (harder than my regular, out for a run of 4 to 7 miles pace). Challenging your legs and lungs once or twice a week with sprinting or faster running is very helpful. There's an expression: "You have to run fast to get faster.". You want to mix up hard efforts, like longer runs and speed work, and only do these about once a week each. Run comfortably the rest of the time so you can recover and your body can rebuild and get stronger.
  • DRetel
    DRetel Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hmm, thanks for the tips!
    I can't imagine finding the time to run up to 30 miles a week! Yikes! I'll definitely try the speed work, and I should probably find some hills. Right now, my usual path has one small incline on it, and it nearly kills me... lol...