she only eats veggies/nuts how does she get enough protein

Options
2»

Replies

• anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    An amazing woman and story. The building blocks of protien are amino acids....all fruits and vegetables have them. And your body doesn't have to work as hard to process them....equals more energy for other activities.

I could do this if I was able to grow my own food.
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I would encourage her and all vegans to read Weston A Price information on vegatarianism and nutrient deficiencies.

Any diet which REQUIRES vitamin supplements (which a vegan diet does - animal products are required for certain B vitamins) is not healthy!

http://westonaprice.org/vegetarianism-and-plant-foods/vegetarianism-and-nutrient-deficiencies?

It doesn't take a much animal protein though: a little fish, yogurt, and pastured eggs. More raw foods and veggies are good!
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    bump to watch and read later
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    How does she get enough calcium...

collards, turnip greens, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, spinach and kale

Walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds

as a raw foodist I don't know if she eats beans, chickpeas, soybeans and tofu?
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options

collards, turnip greens, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, spinach and kale

Walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds

as a raw foodist I don't know if she eats beans, chickpeas, soybeans and tofu?

Yes raw foodies eat loads of beans and legumes, just sprout them rather than cook them :)

We make raw hummus, a fantastic raw sunflower pate and try and eat a bit of raw every day.

Its so good for you :)

Even if you dont have space to grow your own veggies, you can easily grow sprouts on the window sill in a jam jar.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    So much misinformation on this thread, I wish people wouldn't post about things they know nothing about.
    I would encourage her and all vegans to read Weston A Price information on vegatarianism and nutrient deficiencies.

Any diet which REQUIRES vitamin supplements (which a vegan diet does - animal products are required for certain B vitamins) is not healthy!

http://westonaprice.org/vegetarianism-and-plant-foods/vegetarianism-and-nutrient-deficiencies?

It doesn't take a much animal protein though: a little fish, yogurt, and pastured eggs. More raw foods and veggies are good!

I googled and only 3% of the USA is vegetarian, who do you think is buying all the vitamins on the shelf? meat eaters.
    Meat eaters take vitamin B to get better hair, skin and nails.
    Vegans can get B-12 from fortified cereals and nutrional yeast.
    Your meat is fortified with B12 and your milk is fortified with calcium, which means it's added in later, so no different than popping a pill.

You can buy B-12 vitamins that only have vegan ingredients:
    http://www.thevitamincode.com/TargetedNutrientFormulas/RawB12/tabid/1624/Default.aspx

A vegetarian does not need to take vitamins, she can get all her nutrients from her diet.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options

Why do people think meat and dairy are bad for someone??

Just wondering, I don't know too much about the health benefits.
    Cows get calcium from the grass and hay that they graze on. It's also in green leafy vegetables. :)
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    lol, vegan endurance athlete here. easy enough. Protein is in every single food. :)

This is exactly it. There is protein in every plant food. Yes, it is a much smaller amount that what is in a big bloody slab of steak, but when all you are eating is fruits and veggies, the few grams that may be in each one add up. It really is enough! Most people eat way more than the recommended amount of protein!
  • Skinny_Beans
    Skinny_Beans Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I made this out to sound like a question coming from a dumb person --

I just mean't....

If all she is eating is vegetables, fruits, nuts, spices...
    How does she get ;

calcium
    enough protein
    enough sodium...(don't you need some to function well?)

Vegetables and fruits are the crux of any diet, and by diet I mean eating habit, not method of restricting calories. Calcium is found in many fruits and vegetables, and protein is very high in legumes, tofu, and other beans. Sodium is also found in natural foods. If anything, meat and dairy are a problem because they contain boatloads of fat and protien that most people will over-consume. AND did you know many dair y products are deficient in vitamins from pastruization, so calcium is actually ADDED to them?