Encouragement needed for improving fitness

Options
Hi

I have a very high BMI and started my journey to a lighter fitter me (lost 6 pounds so far) but I am struggling with the exercise. i have joined a gym and had a personal training session last week but many of the activities make my knees and back hurt. On top of this my cardio fitness is so poor I can only manage 5-8 minutes or so on the elipitical / treadmill (walking) even on the lower settings. I am 41 and getting my heart rate upto the 150s but find that a bit much and I feel happier at 140 -150. How quickly will I see a difference to for example be able to do 20 minutes on one machine without feeling like I am going to die.

I am going to gym 3 x a week with a plan of personal trainer x 1, swimming resistance and cardio x1 and cardio and resistance x1 plus incorporating additional walking and stairs depending on how my knee and back are doing.

has anyone any tips for staying motivated or success stories I would love to hear them I look around the gym and everyone seems sooooo fit I feel embarrassed being a wreck after a few minutes.

Thanks for any help

Replies

• Spiritwarrior3000
    Spiritwarrior3000 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Results come based on the person. Some people notice results in a week others notice in 3 weeks it all depends on the person. Staying motivated is a pain for alot of people. Im gonna use spirituality and martial arts to be my soul motivator. You have to be motivated from within and then your body will shine!

Best wishes ^i^
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your 6lb loss and for sticking with it. I can tell you from experience that it will get better. When i first started the cardio ( eliptical) i dont even think i lasted a minute...now i can do an hour. As for the knees and back i have found that since i have been exercising i have been making the muscles around and for those parts stronger so they hurt less. I also take a joint supplement to help with the knees.

One of my favorite quotes.....The pain you feel today will be the strength you feel tommorow.

I am starting a trainer this week for twice a week and one day on my own with what she will show me. I have been exercising for 5 months now.

You will get fitter as you go and you will be able to do more and last longer. Please dont give up and dont be intimidated by anyone at the gym. You are all there for the same reason.

If you would like to add me we could support each other :)
  • MeABride2B
    Options
    i think one of the hardest things about going to the gym is wondering what other people think of you, etc....

I'm giving you MAJOR kudos for going in and getting yourself in there!
    It sounds like you have a great plan!

I'd say that you should stay consistent and stick to it and I think you'll see that your cardio improves rather quickly.

If you have bad knees, the pool is great! Stationary or recumbent bikes are also great for aching joints. I have fibromyalgia and at times feel older than my grandparents. So I've learned what helps. Just keep moving. It is the little things too - park a little further away at the store, go up the two flights of stairs to the doctors appt instead of taking the elevator. Those to will help you.

If you stay motivated, I think you have a great plan!

GOOD LUCK :) And congrats on starting, that's often the HARDEST part!! :)
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouraging words. I am doing my best right now and hoping it gets easier. Its great to hear that I am not the only one and that I can improve. I have paid up for weekly personal training once a week despite the eyewatering expense to keep me accountable and hopefully push me and help me work around my knees. I figure if i can get the routine going it will be easier. Once again thanks for your responses. MFP community rocks and provides great motivation when i am wavering.:smile:
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I was most comfortable with the recumbant bike and treadmill. I was intimidated by the arc trainer and the eliptical and to be honest, I didn't last more than 5 minutes on the arc trainer my first time. There are plenty of NuStep machines out there (probably in your own gym) geared toward beginners. Do you have a YMCA nearby? They tend to have a wide variety of machines that are suitable for any age and any fitness level. Good luck!
  • caroleannlight
    Options
    When I first started, I was most comfortable with the recumbant bike and treadmill. I was intimidated by the arc trainer and the eliptical and to be honest, I didn't last more than 5 minutes on the arc trainer my first time. There are plenty of NuStep machines out there (probably in your own gym) geared toward beginners. Do you have a YMCA nearby? They tend to have a wide variety of machines that are suitable for any age and any fitness level. Good luck!

Wow 84lbs lost and you look fantastic an inspiration! I am not familiar with NuStep ? stair climbing type machine and the YMCA is not that nice in London UK. I have paid more for one with pool and free towels etc and not too far out of my way to the train station for work. Trying to minimise all the excuses for not going! I may try the recumbent bike. I have a PT session tomorrow so will ask her about it. Thanks for taking the time to comment.
  • chcltroses
    Options
    its great that you lost 6 pounds! i would try to go a little longer each time you do it, but stay on each try for maybe a week.
    Slowly building up to longer time is always easier than going hard in to it. I am doing the same thing, starting slow with ten minute routines.
    I wish you all the best. keep up the good work
  • caroleannlight
    Options
    Thanks I think that is how I should approach it by increasing by small increments. I will try to get to 10 minutes this week. I am thinking stay at the same (low) intensity until I can do maybe 20 minutes.
  • bdenitto
    bdenitto Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I started going to the gym the beginning of September. The first week, I made it about 30 minutes. I did 15 minutes on a recumbent bike and 15 minutes on a treadmill on level 1. Each week I have pushed myself to workout harder and longer. I have branched out to try other machines and I have started to lift weights. Today I did 30 minutes on a elliptical at level 7, rode a bike at level 8 random for 5 miles, and I did 15 minutes on a treadmill at 3 with a 3 incline. I can see the results. Keep pushing yourself. Don't worry about the people. I think they respect anyone for trying.
  • jenniferrow
    Options
    When I first started using the elliptical, I had to make myself do 5 minutes. I did that for a week, then set a goal of 7 minutes. The next week, 10 minutes. Now, I can do an hour. You just have to set achievable goals, and keep trying. Be friendly at the gym, and folks will be friendly back. Also, try to do some form of exercise every day - not just days that you go to the gym. It takes a few weeks for exercise to become a habit. Good luck!
  • caroleannlight
    Options
    thanks for posting your success stories helps me see the light at the end of the tunnel I am going to the gym after breakfast its 8am here. then off to work. Trying to add more activity into my day to day especially walking. I find the MFP folks awe inspiring and keep me going when I am feeling discouraged. I will not be giving up though don't worry. Wishing everyone a good and successful week.